• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maxwebster
    • Mar 2009

rsp-1570 Advanced Subwoofer settings

Hello fellow tweakers,

I have two questions regarding bass management with the 1570:

1) What is the purpose of the advanced speaker settings for the subwoofer? I am using advanced settings for all my speakers but have left the subwoofer setting at 80Hz because I have no clue what it does.

2) Is there any way to apply bass management to MULTI-CHANNEL LPCM? I only see settings for MULTI-INPUT, so I assume that the MASTER settings apply to MULTI-CHANNEL LPCM and that there is no way to bypass

Thanks in advanced
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The advanced subwoofer setup is the same as the crossover on the subwoofer menu from the main menu. You should notice they both change when you change one. I think the MASTER settings are under the advanced menu so they wouldn't have to change the layout. They don't do anything.

The advanced settings is to let you set each speaker individually and also create bass boosts or cuts. Since the crossover settings are not brick walls, setting the main to 80hz and the sub to 80hz should create a nice blend of the downward slopes of frequency. Setting the main to 60hz and the sub to 80hz will create a cut centered at 70hz. Setting the main to 80hz and the sub to 100hz will create a boost centered at 90hz. etc..

The subwoofer volume for Pro-logic II effects MC-PCM. If you turn the volume all the way down it will change to off, but still doesn't quite disable the sub.

Kevin D.

Comment

• maxwebster
      • Mar 2009

Thanks, Kevin

Originally posted by Kevin D
      The advanced settings is to let you set each speaker individually and also create bass boosts or cuts. Since the crossover settings are not brick walls, setting the main to 80hz and the sub to 80hz should create a nice blend of the downward slopes of frequency. Setting the main to 60hz and the sub to 80hz will create a cut centered at 70hz. Setting the main to 80hz and the sub to 100hz will create a boost centered at 90hz. etc..
      I think the boost and cuts are managed by the +/- for surround modes. On page 43:
      Originally posted by RSP-1570 Manual
      Note: The master crossover point can be overridden with a
      custom crossover frequency for the front, center, surround, or
      surround back speakers in the ADVANCED SPEAKER SETUP menu;

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Wrong quote, but I see what you were trying to post that's on page 43. That's subwoofer volume for different surround modes. What I was referring to is a frequency boost/cut, not a volume boost/cut.

Kevin D.

Comment

• maxwebster
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Kevin D
          Wrong quote, but I see what you were trying to post that's on page 43. That's subwoofer volume for different surround modes. What I was referring to is a frequency boost/cut, not a volume boost/cut.

Kevin D.
          The quote may be wrong but it's in the manual and that's all we have to go by - it states that there is no frequency boost/cut - it is an override of the master setting.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

What I am talking about is how setting the subwoofer crossover setting different then the other speaker crossover settings can create boosts at certain frequencies (by sending the same information to the sub and another speaker) or cuts at certain frequncies (by NOT sending information to the sub or another speaker).

This is all done under the advanced speaker settings menu, not the subwoofer settings menu talked about on page 43.

Kevin D.

Comment

• maxwebster
              • Mar 2009

You are likely correct, in that the master and/or advanced-subwoofer setting for the sub may not be overridden by the advanced-subwoofer setting of the fronts/centers/surrounds, but in fact remains as the high-pass filter, but that contradicts the manual.

This behavour may be a "bug" that will be addressed with firmware upgrade (my dealer has not provided this yet), or the manual is incorrect - not sure which, but personally, I would rather the former, that the high-pass filter be overridden as stated in the manual.

Thanks

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

I think our conversation diverged at some point and I lost where it was going. Sorry! As far as I can tell, everything works and agrees with the manual.

If you change the crossover setting in the normal subwoofer menu, this sets the subwoofer and all small speaker to that same frequency. So if it's set to 80hz, everything from every speaker below 80hz gets routed to the sub and only sound above 80hz goes to the speakers.

At that point, if you go into the advanced speaker settings you can adjust all speaker's crossovers individually including the subwoofer. So if you leave all the speaker at 80hz but change the sub to 40hz, the speakers only get sound above 80hz and the sub only gets sound from all the speakers that's below 40hz. Any bass information between 40hz and 80hz from all speakers is sent nowhere.

Now assuming you left all speakers at 80hz and changed the sub to 120hz. All sound above 80hz is still sent to the speakers and all sound from all speakers below 120hz is sent to the sub. So sound between 80hz and 120hz is sent to both the speakers and the sub.

The LFE signal is never processed and is sent directly to the sub unfiltered. Like I said above, the crossover settings are not brick walls. So setting the sub to 40hz doesn't cut all sound above 40hz but is actually the point at which it starts to slope downwards. There will still be 80hz information coming out, but it would be 24db quieter at that frequency (essentially not heard).

Knowing these slopes and the advanced speaker menu helps you tailor the crossover settings for you speakers and room. Say your room boosts bass frequencies in the 70hz range creating a boomy sound. You could set your main speakers to 80hz and the sub to 60hz which would then send a lot less 70hz sound into the room, calming the boomy sound.

Kevin D.

Comment

• maxwebster
                  • Mar 2009

No need to apologize: I'm likely the culprit here. Your manual says that advanced speaker settings only set the low-pass filter for each speaker-set, except for the sub - in which is the high-pass filter is set.

My manual says (or my interpretation) that the advanced setting sets the high-pass & low-pass filter for each speaker-which confuses me since this doesn't make sense for the subwoofer unless it just for LFE which I highly doubt.

Oh well, there's no substitute for experimentation - except it drives the family nuts!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"