• yanies
    • Jun 2008

Its the Magnepan MMG or me

Hello

I just received my magnepan MMG today and hooked them up
    First impressions
    1. No bass I dont except too much bass anyway
    2. Too high mids and highs

I use a monster XP monster cable for speakers and I was wondering maybe its the wire since that one doesnt give inaff bass and emphasizes the highs.

Please help. I know these speakers are nice according to the reviews and opinions. What am I missing

My system consists of:

Turntable Thorens TD 166 MK VI

DVD Rotel RDV 1045
    Tuner Rotel RT 1080Pre Amp Rotel RC 1082
    Power Amp Rotel RB 1080
    Power Conditioner Rotel RLC 1040
    Magnepan MMG
    HDTV Panasonic TH-42PZ77U
    Monster Cable Interconnects
    Monster Speaker Cable XP
  • lotones
    • Apr 2006

Hello

My guess is that you need a subwoofer to balance out the sound. I have some older ESLs - Acoustat Model 3's - that are technically full-range, but getting a good sub definitely helped fill out the low and mid-bass, which balanced the highs. You'll need a fairly decent sub though to keep up with the maggies.

Comment

• jalyra
      • Jan 2009

What were your previous speakers?
      The maggies are a different kind of speakers, and if you are not familiar with electrostatics or similar speakers you need to give them time so you can adjust to them.
      Lot of people like them and think they are the best, I still haven't fallen into their spell. The Martin Logans I heard were nothing special, even the salesman told me that the room didn't help. But even in that set up, the voice of female singers were of an unusual clarity.

Comment

• yanies
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by jalyra
        What were your previous speakers?
        The maggies are a different kind of speakers, and if you are not familiar with electrostatics or similar speakers you need to give them time so you can adjust to them.
        Lot of people like them and think they are the best, I still haven't fallen into their spell. The Martin Logans I heard were nothing special, even the salesman told me that the room didn't help. But even in that set up, the voice of female singers were of an unusual clarity.
        Hello Jalyra
        I am new to these speakers.
        I used to own Bose 901 Vi (sold) Bose 701 (sold) and Infinity Kappa 7.1

Magnepan speakers speakers have gorgeous mids and highs -unbelievable-
        The problem is the bass. I have to do something about it and like itones said maybe the solution is the sub

Also my amplifier is 200wpc at 8ohms and it supports the 4 ohms that maggies ask for. So I should have more power at 4 ohms but it doesnt sount double power to me

John

Comment

• Opus007
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by yanies
          Hello Jalyra
          I am new to these speakers.
          I used to own Bose 901 Vi (sold) Bose 701 (sold) and Infinity Kappa 7.1

Magnepan speakers speakers have gorgeous mids and highs -unbelievable-
          The problem is the bass. I have to do something about it and like itones said maybe the solution is the sub

Also my amplifier is 200wpc at 8ohms and it supports the 4 ohms that maggies ask for. So I should have more power at 4 ohms but it doesnt sount double power to me

John
          Reminds me of my own story moving from home built speakers to B&W's.When I first got my B&W's I thought that they where terrible.But after a good month of critical listening I could not stand it any longer and broke out my old speakers.It was then that I realized that the B&W's where and are exceptional speakers and what I had been listing to from my old speakers was muddled bass and the lack of clarity.I was hearing things with the new speakers I had never heard before and was not use to good quality sound. So to me it was not right.I can not comment on your previous speakers but you are in a different ball park with the maggies.Give them some break in time and let them open up and a sub is also probably a necessity.

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

I haven't sold Magnepan speakers for quite some time but I do remember that they take a LONG time to break in. Give them some time before you make the final judgment on performance. That said, the MMG is a pretty small panel so it's never going to have a lot of bass.

Eric

Comment

• jalyra
              • Jan 2009

You'll be fine.

Just give them time so the speakers and you break in, and add a good quality sub.

With that setup, different cables and tweaks can make small but noticeable improvements. From what I read, the speakers positioning and room treatment can help a lot. But I'll let others make suggestions since I don't have the experience with the speakers.

Comment

• joetama
                • May 2006

I'm in agreement with everyone that said you're going to need some time to adapt to them.

They typically are a wonderful sounding loudspeaker, but going from conventional piston drivers to an electrostatic takes some getting used to. Also, how do you have them positioned. Since they radiate sound out of both sides you need to make sure they aren't too close to walls or other obstructions.

After about a week break out the old speakers if you can, and you will discover what you have been missing all those years with the older speakers.
                -Joe

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by yanies
                  Sound double power compared to what?

Magnepans are inefficient. They need a lot of power to make sound.

An 85dB/1W/1m speaker will need 200W to be as loud as an 88dB/1W/1m speaker on 100W

If your speaker is 91dB, you only need 50W, 94dB=25W, 97dB=12.5W.

A super efficient 101dB/1W/1M speaker will only need a little more than 6 watts to play as loud as the maggies go on 200 watts...

Peter

Comment

• copycat
                    • Apr 2009

Have run my 12's with everything from a Son of Ampzilla (80watts) to a Mac (200watts), all worked fine. They need a Sub for bass extension. Get a couple frames and get them from 4 to 6 inches off the floor, and do not stick them in the corners of your room, but try to have at least 4 feet from the walls. Remember the equalateral triangle, to get that sweet spot and enjoy your music all over again.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"