X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmcheng
    • Jan 2008

How hot does the RSP 1069 run?

This is a question for all the lucky 1069 owners out there. How hot does your unit run? The manual recommends 4 inches of clear head room. My cabinet would allow 2 inches at most, but with a somewhat open back panel.

Does any owner put the 1069 in a closed cabinet? If so, what is your solution for ventilation?

Many thanks in advance.

Edit: Thanks to hifiguymi, I corrected the prefix of the 1069.
    Last edited by kmcheng; 18 July 2008, 23:00 Friday.
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

I'm assuming you mean RSP-1069. I have a customer with one in an enclosed cabinet with about 2 1/2" above it and it's gets pretty warm. It never did get hot to the touch however. He did add a fan just for peace of mind though.

Eric

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

I hae two inches on top and nothing on the sides and I am able to completely shut the door to put the 1069 out of site with this solution.

I got this laptop cooler off monoprice for les then $10. You can either place right on top, or do what i did which is use some good quality double sided tape and tape it to the underside of the shelf right above your 1069 with the fans face down. This unit exhuasts the air out the back. Its power by USB 2.0 so you need to have a component in your rack with a USB 2.0 or get a longer cord to your computer. I have mine hooked up to my cable box which has 2 USB outputs and its always on. I put a piece of electrical tape over the lights of the fan so its basically not noticable.

Comment

• garak
        • Jul 2007

Another solution would be this cooling fan. It's placed right on top the unit, and draws the hot air out. It plugs into a normal electrical outlet. I have one for my 1069, and it keeps the unit soooo much cooler.

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

It can get warm if its only sitting. One thing I havent figured out is why my components get hot when "idling" but not when they are actually doing something???

Comment

• kmcheng
            • Jan 2008

Thank you very much for all your helpful suggestions. I will definitely look into all of them.

Originally posted by WI Rotel
            It can get warm if its only sitting. One thing I havent figured out is why my components get hot when "idling" but not when they are actually doing something???
            This is interesting, and can potentially be a deal breaker for me. Obviously, the processor is going to be idle for most of the day since I have to work. I certainly do not want it to generate excessive heat while I am not watching over it. Does anyone else have a similar observation as WI Rotel's?

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

If all 4 zones are off, the 1069 should not produce any heat. But even if one of the secondary zones are on (even though it just switches audio) the 1069 will not be in standby.

Kevin D.

Comment

• garak
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
                If all 4 zones are off, the 1069 should not produce any heat. But even if one of the secondary zones are on (even though it just switches audio) the 1069 will not be in standby.

Kevin D.
                This has been my experience. When the unit is in standby, it doesn't produce any heat.

I've found that they unit also doesn't get that warm unless you're running video through it. For example, when switching the unit to "CD," it doesn't get that hot.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by kmcheng
                  Thank you very much for all your helpful suggestions. I will definitely look into all of them.

This is interesting, and can potentially be a deal breaker for me. Obviously, the processor is going to be idle for most of the day since I have to work. I certainly do not want it to generate excessive heat while I am not watching over it. Does anyone else have a similar observation as WI Rotel's?
                  I should clarify, this is with everything on (not standby) but without actually listening to anything. On standby there is NO heat at all:T
                  Last edited by WI Rotel; 21 July 2008, 20:32 Monday.

Comment

• kmcheng
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by garak
                    I've found that they unit also doesn't get that warm unless you're running video through it. For example, when switching the unit to "CD," it doesn't get that hot.
                    That's great. I will run video through the processor only when watching Blu-ray through the PS3, so hopefully it will not get super-hot for an extended period of time. With the tax-free weekend coming up in Massachusetts, it looks like I will drop another $2000. Gee, that's kind of painful.

Is there a simple reason why the unit does not get too warm when it only processes audio?

Comment

• garak
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by kmcheng
                      Is there a simple reason why the unit does not get too warm when it only processes audio?
                      I suspect that when you switch the unit to an input that doesn't include video, the chips that are responsible for processing the video are idle, so they don't produce much heat.

Comment

• Gummo
                        • Mar 2008

I can tell you that my RSP-1098 runs very hot, over 110F, even when listening to vinyl and CDs. I have started using my Targus laptop cooler on top of the unit, and it works quite well.

Comment

• brice1805
                          • Jan 2008

My RSP1069 runs in an enclosed cabinet (with holes in the back and at list 10 cm space all around) but i find it a little hot any way after several hours of operation. I decided to add a 12v fan in the cabinet, and i did some tests with standard 12V power supply and it works fine.
                          My question is : Should i use the rsp 12v trigger output to power the fan or is there any risk to damage the rsp1069 ?

it is very difficult to get electrical data about the 12 v trigger output.

Thanks

Comment

• Glen B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by brice1805
                            Should i use the rsp 12v trigger output to power the fan or is there any risk to damage the rsp1069 ?

it is very difficult to get electrical data about the 12 v trigger output.

Thanks
                            Triggers tend to be under 100mA, but before you try running a fan off it, you really need to find out what the trigger current output is for your 1069 so that you can use an appropriately rated fan. You don't want to draw excessive current from the trigger output.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"