X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baztroy
    • May 2007

RMB 1075 vs 1095 - please help new user

Hello everyone - my first posting, and as is usual on forums I've seen elsewhere, I'm asking questions and trying to learn.

I am a two channel listener, who is asked to consider family needs and invest in HT for the first time. So, whilst I'm HiFi savvy, I need to "read into" the world of HT, and would appreciate help and advice (with apologies if some of the questions appear somewhat basic).

Our current 2 channel system is: Roksan Xerxes turntable/SME V arm/Goldring cartridge, Rotel RCD 1072, RC 1090, RB 1090, B&W 704 speakers (biwired to solve the somewhat gritty mid range).

I intend to keep that system in one room whilst installing HT in another. The HT room would be the family room of my house, roughly 15' wide by 18' long by 12' high; the back wall is a through archway into the kitchen which is another 24' long (but only 8' high).

So, bearing in mind the sound quality background from the gear above, here are some simple questions:

(1) Has anyone done an A to B comparison of the RMB 1075 and 1095, and is the latter worth the extra money? Please consider the room size / sound power required, and comment on the overall difference in sound quality. (I am thinking of buying used to take advantage of the fact that the range is being replaced).

(2) What is the difference between the early amps and the "mark 2" versions with the clear speaker posts?

(3) Do I really need 7 channels? (At the moment I think not).

(4) I've read various reports of "hum" / grounding / speaker popping issues with the RMB 1095 - any comments? Does the RMB 1075 also suffer?

(5) It appears the amps can't be biwired (based on the back panel diagrams). I may choose to use the B&W 704's as the basis of the HT system and don't want to lose the benefits I've gained by biwiring. Can I integrate a RB 1080 or similar 2 channel amp into the system to accomodate this? Any other ideas?

(6) Is there a recommended maximum distance between the processor and the Plasma TV (I'm thinking of cable issues and signal degradation)

(7) The Rotel range of pre-processors appear to be somewhat behind the competition (the whole data management / format thing is in flux). Any comments on what I should do? (Amps & speakers I can understand, this stuff is new to me; HDMI = Horrendously Difficult Minefield of Information).

Thanks for your help, Graham
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by baztroy
    Hello everyone - my first posting, and as is usual on forums I've seen elsewhere, I'm asking questions and trying to learn.
    Welcome to our forum

I am a two channel listener, who is asked to consider family needs and invest in HT for the first time. So, whilst I'm HiFi savvy, I need to "read into" the world of HT, and would appreciate help and advice (with apologies if some of the questions appear somewhat basic).

Our current 2 channel system is: Roksan Xerxes turntable/SME V arm/Goldring cartridge, Rotel RCD 1072, RC 1090, RB 1090, B&W 704 speakers (biwired to solve the somewhat gritty mid range).
    You might like our Club B&W as well

I intend to keep that system in one room whilst installing HT in another. The HT room would be the family room of my house, roughly 15' wide by 18' long by 12' high; the back wall is a through archway into the kitchen which is another 24' long (but only 8' high).

So, bearing in mind the sound quality background from the gear above, here are some simple questions:

(1) Has anyone done an A to B comparison of the RMB 1075 and 1095, and is the latter worth the extra money? Please consider the room size / sound power required, and comment on the overall difference in sound quality. (I am thinking of buying used to take advantage of the fact that the range is being replaced).
    Yep.... Depends what you are driving.... For easy speakers both are pretty similar.. As the load gets more demanding the 1095 will pull ahead, especialy wass low / mid bass sucks power with phase changes / crossover etc.

If you are thinking 7 series B&Ws or above the 1095 will make a difference.. Equally I'd consider the RMB-1077 - (I've swapped to that as has our fellow moderator Kevin)

(2) What is the difference between the early amps and the "mark 2" versions with the clear speaker posts?
    (3) Do I really need 7 channels? (At the moment I think not).
    Well - I love my 7.1 set-up the extra surround effect is awesome... Need - well no - but love yep

(4) I've read various reports of "hum" / grounding / speaker popping issues with the RMB 1095 - any comments? Does the RMB 1075 also suffer?
    More with the 2 channel 1080 and 1090 due to grounding issues (often with cable etc). Easily fixed by a isolaiton transformer.

(5) It appears the amps can't be biwired (based on the back panel diagrams). I may choose to use the B&W 704's as the basis of the HT system and don't want to lose the benefits I've gained by biwiring. Can I integrate a RB 1080 or similar 2 channel amp into the system to accomodate this? Any other ideas?
    Doug (at forum sponsor catcables.com makes some great speaker cables that are bi-wired but commence with single ended bananna or spades at the amplifier end OR you can have one bananna and 1 spade on each but why bother). Basicall inside the amp the two sets of speaker teminals are joined by a copper wire anyway - so this just moves the joint to just outside the amp.

(6) Is there a recommended maximum distance between the processor and the Plasma TV (I'm thinking of cable issues and signal degradation)
    The longer the distance the better the cable needs to be. Once you're into 20+ feet you need some really good cable... But it works

(7) The Rotel range of pre-processors appear to be somewhat behind the competition (the whole data management / format thing is in flux). Any comments on what I should do? (Amps & speakers I can understand, this stuff is new to me; HDMI = Horrendously Difficult Minefield of Information).
    Yeah but they sound good.... Other choices are Sherwood or one of the recievers (Sony, Denon etc). If youve got the money The Antem D2 is very nice....

Thanks for your help, Graham

Comment

• baztroy
      • May 2007

Thanks - I appreciate the help.

The RMB 1077 is probably too much $$$ for me right now (remember I'm building from new, not upgrading). I'll just have to see what's out there.

I agree with you point about matching speakers. Ironically the class D amps would probably match a pair of 703's quite well, whereas my 704's are well suited to the 1090 amp and would (I assume) suit the character of the 1075 / 1095.

I've dedicated wiring (2 circuits) from my household fuse / trip mains box to (a) my amp and (b) the 2 channel system components. No grounding issues there, and lots of dedicated power (I do miss 240V though).

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

baztroy,

I just sent you a PM.

Eric

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"