• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • len73
    • Jan 2005

Is a RB-1070 enough ?

Hello,

I'm back with another question...

Still looking for a second stereo-system, I am currently considering the buy of B&W 805's...(still in competition : MA GS10 and B&W705)

But I would need your advice concerning the power-amp.

Would you preferably go for a 1070 or a 1080 ? The speaker prefs (805) speaks about a max. of 120w.

What would you recommend ?

Thanks for your answers !

Len
  • Pez
    • May 2004

A friend of mine is using a 1050 (I think thats the model number - 70 wpc) with 705's with great results. I think the 1070 would work with the 805's, at least worth auditioning is possible. I am sure some will say the 1070 is not enough for the 805's but it really depends on listening levels (and how long at louder volumes), personal preference, using a dedicated sub, etc. If you have the funds and want to get the 1080 I am sure it will bring a smile to your face and help get that little extra out of the 805's.

Now if you were only looking at the 705's then I would go with the 1070 and never look back.

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

Get the 1080 for sure, much more control.
      Greg

Comment

• shadow 8
        • Aug 2004

I have owned both amps. The design and parts are the same. They sound identical. The power difference works out to be about 1.5 db more output at full power which is negligible. However the price difference is pretty negligible too. Since everyone else has told you the 1080 is better, if you get the 1070, you will worry you did not get the better amp, so I would advise you to get the 1080 and you will have no buyer's remorse.

Comment

• len73
          • Jan 2005

Thank you so much for your answers !

Yes, Shadow 8 you're 100% right with your comment about "buyer's remorse".

Here, the difference between the two units are of about us$ 700 (!).

The 805 are currently on the top of my wish list. On the other side, buying a 1080 will then allow me to upgrade them with bigger speakers (804, 803s ?) without to worry so much about the amp.

Furthermore, I am on my way to build a new stereo-system that I plan to keep for quite a long time...

So, all in all, if you think 200w/channel are not too much for this little speakers...

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

Originally posted by len73
            So, all in all, if you think 200w/channel are not too much for this little speakers...
            Definately not to much, underpowering is much more of a concern than overpowering.

Sounds like you are putting together a system to hold you over for awhile. If you ultimately think you are going to get bigger speakers for the fronts get the 1080.

Comment

• shadow 8
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by len73
              Thank you so much for your answers !

Yes, Shadow 8 you're 100% right with your comment about "buyer's remorse".

Here, the difference between the two units are of about us$ 700 (!).

The 805 are currently on the top of my wish list. On the other side, buying a 1080 will then allow me to upgrade them with bigger speakers (804, 803s ?) without to worry so much about the amp.

Furthermore, I am on my way to build a new stereo-system that I plan to keep for quite a long time...

Sorry my friend. I was so busy reading your message that I neglected to note your home country. In the USA the difference in price between the amps is only $300 so the extra price is probably worth it if you are one to worry about if you made the correct choice. I would not spend $700 for the small difference, based on my experience. I drive a pair of Martin Logan Aeon speakers with no problem with my 1070. Drove the same speakers with the 1080 and there was no difference in apparent power or sound quality in my setup. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

• calmac
                • May 2005

Originally posted by shadow 8
                Sorry my friend. I was so busy reading your message that I neglected to note your home country. In the USA the difference in price between the amps is only $300 so the extra price is probably worth it if you are one to worry about if you made the correct choice. I would not spend $700 for the small difference, based on my experience. I drive a pair of Martin Logan Aeon speakers with no problem with my 1070. Drove the same speakers with the 1080 and there was no difference in apparent power or sound quality in my setup. Good luck with your decision.
                At the end of the day , Len, I would suggest you go and have a listen for yourself.Unlike Shadow 8 I have heard quite marked differences between the two amps , even when driving relatively efficient speakers.
                You have to go and listen for yourself and then make your own value judgement
                The difference in price here in Australia is $800 so about $670 US and most people still plump for the 1080 where the budget is flexible enough.
                Gordon

Comment

• BWzes03
                  • Oct 2005

Re: Is a RB-1070 enough ?

Originally posted by shadow 8
                  I have owned both amps. The design and parts are the same. They sound identical. The power difference works out to be about 1.5 db more output at full power which is negligible. However the price difference is pretty negligible too. Since everyone else has told you the 1080 is better, if you get the 1070, you will worry you did not get the better amp, so I would advise you to get the 1080 and you will have no buyer's remorse.
                  I would think not, since the 1070 is built like a stereo amp, and the 1080 is built like a dual-mono amp, which share only a single power supply transformer.
                  second, the power reserve within the 1080 allows for much larger peak transients without problems, and the higher speced output transistors not only suppy more raw power, but also more control on difficult loads.

Of course, the 1070 is no slouch either, but to state that the differences are that negligable is far from the truth.

On the question from TS, is a 1070 enough, that will be up to your listening tests.

Comment

• rick c
                    • Aug 2004

Hope no one minds but i may be looking into an amp and was wondering how hot the 1080 gets.Reason being my amp would need to go behind double doors with one of the doors always open.So ventilation would be coming via the open door.thanks

Comment

• Mark_C.
                      • Jan 2003

The difference is indeed negligible. The difference, however, may be worth it depending on the listening environment and the listener's preferences. Is the listening room large? Is the ceiling high (i.e. cathedral)? Does the listener like his music at reference or above for long periods? If yes to these questions, then the 1080 would be preferable to the 1070. Otherwise, negligible it is.

Comment

• len73
                        • Jan 2005

Thank you guys for your explanations !

Anyway, I effectively will have to listen to both amps in the following weeks.

The fact is, I really want to chose speakers first (805-804 ?) and then decide which one is the best speaker-partner.

[Off-topic]
                        To say the truth I am very tempted by the 804, as the price difference is not huge (when comparted to the 805s including the speaker stands)...
                        [/Off-topic]

Anyway I will post my impressions and my final choice here !

In the meantime, any other comments are welcome !

Cheers,

Len

Comment

• linuxtx
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by rick c
                          Hope no one minds but i may be looking into an amp and was wondering how hot the 1080 gets.Reason being my amp would need to go behind double doors with one of the doors always open.So ventilation would be coming via the open door.thanks
                          The 1080 gets warm, but not too hot. One thing you might consider is rigging fans. When putting my equipment into the new cabinet with doors, I used a hole saw to cut 4.25" holes in the back and dropped in some Scythe Computer Fans They only hit 8.7dB at full speed so you cannot hear them at all, even from a couple of feet away.

Comment

• miner
                            • Mar 2005

I used a RB-1070/RC-1070 combo with my N804 before upgrading to my current RB-1092/RC-1090 setup. I had very good results with the 1070. I would not at all hesitate to recommend one to anyone. No problems with it at all; some RB-1080 owners have experienced fuse problems. Let your ears guide your wallet.

Comment

• calmac
                              • May 2005

The 1080 fuse issues are a thing of the past .I disagree that the sonic differences between the two amps are negligible but you could always have your dealer set up a 'blind' listening test If you want to be sure which amp suits you best.
                              Gordon

Comment

• len73
                                • Jan 2005

800 series...

Hello guys !

Today I went to a local reseller to listen to the b&w 800 series.

I am not sure to post it in the right place, but as it also concern my initial thread, here are my toughts...

Well. My idea was to listen carefully to the the 805 and the 804s event tough the 803D (regrettably not connected) and the 802D (SUPERB) were also there.

The system was build around a Rotel RA-1070 and the DVD-1092 (used as CD player). The 805 were drived as A speakers and the 804 as B. So it was relatevely easy to commute from A to B, what was especially interesting to make so called A-B comparison.

I prepared a special test CD (Jazz, electro, pop) with tracks I know very well from my current system.

After a few tracks and some switch (A-B), the very first impression for me (that was my very first listening of 800 series !) : Wow ! The 805 is really impressive, very detailled, smooth, extremely accurate, every instruments and voice where really detached and clearly audible.

I found the bass extension of the 804s really too shy in comparison to the 805. I was really expecting the double 6" Roacell drive from 804s to really extend the low frequencies, what was hardly audible. Ok, I admit that there was a very slight diffrerence (Lows seems to be more rounded, but not really deep anyway).

Let's make it clear, the mids of the 804 are also something particular, but the overall performance of the mid-low, mid and high were quite the same between this two models (at least to my ears !).

A few minutes later, the dealer proposed me to listen to the 802D (oh yes, oh yes !), that were drived by a ROTEL RC-1090 as pre and the RB-1090 as amp. The CD player was, this time, the classical RCD-1072.

Same CD used. Differences ? HUGE ! The bass is low (but again, not extremely deep), very tight and controlled. Vocals were extremely fine. Again, everything sounds "at its place", sounds smooth, very pleasant to my ears.

So, the answer to my initial question is quite obvious...If I go for the 805 I will probably go for the RC-1070. On the other side, I suspect the RA-1070 a bit under powered for the 804s. In this case (804s), no doubt I will go for the 1080.

So my current question is more related to the speakers rather than to the amps...

I understand really better now why some people here consider the 805s + 800 subwoofer (so a 2.1 setup) the best way to go !

Tonight, I don't have any definitiv answer, but again, the 805 really suprised me for its size...I read a lot about these bookshelf speakers, but today's listening was totaly amazing !

Again, 804s are also still on the list, but in 2nd place. I would also have liked to test the 803D (Superb speakers - visually speaking at least !) but not really playing in the same price-range...

So, any comment would be appreciated (especially about the difference between 805 and 804) or any other suggestions…

And...Thank you for reading !

Cheers,

Len

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"