X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ninja12
    • Mar 2007

Educate Me Please

I will be replacing my current receiver which is a Yamaha RX-V2500. Since I am using external amps (RMB-1095 and RB-1080) to drive my speakers, I am entertaining the idea of going to a processor instead of getting another receiver. However, I really do not know much about processors except that they do not have internal amps.

So, I was wondering if you could tell me the major difference(s) between a processor and a receiver?

As always, thanks for your time and responding.
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

You pretty much have it down. A receiver is a tuner, preamp, and power amp in one chassis. An integrated amp is a preamp and power amp in one chassis. When you add multi channel capability that is where the processor comes in. That is what directs the sound to the correct channel.

You can have just a processor without a preamp, but those are very rare these days. An example would be there is a processor in a lot of DVD players that decode DD, dts, multi channel DVD-A, and multi channel SACD but there is no volume control so you wouldn’t want to hook it up directly to the amplifiers.

Something like an RSP-1068 is a preamp/processor. Most people shorten it to processor so it's less of a mouthful. You will almost always get better performance from a separate preamp/processor that a receiver because the power supply is dedicated to those functions, not running amplifiers as well. Also they usually contain better quality parts as well to enhance performance.

One thing you will encounter most of the time is receivers from companies like Yamaha, Denon, etc. are replaced every year. They usually have more of the current features like HDMI switching, auto room calibration, etc. Smaller companies like Rotel design and build their products to sound better and they don't have the resources to change their models as fast.

I hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

90% of the users here who have heard a Rotel processor and equivalent receiver don't hear much of a difference between the two.

So if you were to use a 1057 as a pre/pro instead of a 1068 you would get extra amplifiers for zone 2 support, a tuner, HDMI switching, in North America it will be cheaper, and chances are you will get most of the same sound.

If you can, test it yourself, but with new pre/pro's coming next year with new features it would still be a great solution even if you hear a difference.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ninja12
        • Mar 2007

Yes, that was very helpful. However, it sounds like it could get pretty costly to add on the accessories. Is there a reason why the processors do not have auto room calibration?

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by ninja12
          Is there a reason why the processors do not have auto room calibration?
          Not supported by the DSP chip used in the current line-up and probably low priority on their list. Most auto-room setups are a gimmick in my opinion. The things you can set are easily done with an SPL meter and the specs on your speakers. Any form of auto-EQ that's 'built-in' needs to be stayed away from.

Kevin D.

Comment

• deke
            • Dec 2005

Does the RSP-1068 actually use different parts in the electronics than the RSX-1057 or is this really just making more margin off of those who perceive a difference in separates?

Comment

• lvhung
              • Jun 2005

In good speakers and expensive cables
              you find the difference between 1068 and receiver 1055
              But my dream is Rotel 1098

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by deke
                Does the RSP-1068 actually use different parts in the electronics than the RSX-1057 or is this really just making more margin off of those who perceive a difference in separates?
                DAC's, ADC's, DSP chip, all the essential for routing the sound is the same. Board layouts, power supplies, etc will differ.

The market and competition drives the prices/margin. In other markets outside North America, the 1057 costs more then the 1068.

Kevin D.

Comment

• deke
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                  DAC's, ADC's, DSP chip, all the essential for routing the sound is the same. Board layouts, power supplies, etc will differ.

The market and competition drives the prices/margin. In other markets outside North America, the 1057 costs more then the 1068.

Kevin D.
                  That's what I figured (market driving price)... it doesn't make sense to me why all of Rotel's processors are more expensive then the near equivalent receivers.

Comment

• ninja12
                    • Mar 2007

My biggest concern that I have is upgrading. I can get a RSP-1098 for $1900. However, it does not have support for HDMI at all. So, if Rotel began to support HDMI, would that be through a chassis upgrade which would mean an entire new processor or would that be a new component that would just connect to the RSP-1098? Is that normally how upgrades are done for processors Plug-N-Play? Or, is it like the receivers which will require you to purchase a new receiver which is what I will have to do to get HDMI since my current RX-V2500 does not have it now.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ninja12
                      My biggest concern that I have is upgrading. I can get a RSP-1098 for $1900. However, it does not have support for HDMI at all. So, if Rotel began to support HDMI, would that be through a chassis upgrade which would mean an entire new processor or would that be a new component that would just connect to the RSP-1098? Is that normally how upgrades are done for processors Plug-N-Play? Or, is it like the receivers which will require you to purchase a new receiver which is what I will have to do to get HDMI since my current RX-V2500 does not have it now.
                      There will be no way to upgrade the RSP-1098 to add HDMI directly to it. Rotel has an external scaler/switcher the RVE-1060 that does support HDMI that will connect to the RSP-1098/RSP-1068/RSX-1067 and work with it as one piece. It does not, however, support 1080P and is limited to two HDMI inputs. They might have a different one down the road that would have more inputs and do 1080P, but they might not. There is no way to know. You could use an external switcher from someone like Gefen that is remote controlled and use a remote that can do macros to operate it with the preamp.

Beyond the video end of it would be the new surround formats that will be available on HD-DVD or Blu-ray like Dolby True HD. You would have to have a player that had the decoder built in and use 6 to 8 analog cables to go into the multi channel input.

The RSP-1098 is a great sounding preamp and I'm sure you'd love it. You just have to weigh the HDMI options against what you could enjoy now.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"