X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ninja12
    • Mar 2007

Rotel RMB-1095 humming

I have had my new amp, 1095, for about a month now. For the last two weeks, I have noticed after about 2 to 3 hours of solid playing, it will begin to hum which is very annoying when the quiet scenes are playing. I have switched outlets and I have run it through my power line conditioner (Monster HT 2600). I am leaning towards I have a bad amp. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it? Any assistance would be much appreciated.
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Is the humming audible through the speakers, or just the chasis itself?
    Have you checked your line voltage?
    Conditioners will "filter" the noise, but not maintain constant output voltage.

Comment

• ninja12
      • Mar 2007

The sound is not coming through the speakers. It's only coming from the chasis. I do have the amp plugged in to my Monster HT 2600. I believe it's really the amp because I also have my other amp, the RB-1080, plugged into the Monster HT 2600, and that's not making any noise at all.

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ninja12
        I have had my new amp, 1095, for about a month now. For the last two weeks, I have noticed after about 2 to 3 hours of solid playing, it will begin to hum which is very annoying when the quiet scenes are playing. I have switched outlets and I have run it through my power line conditioner (Monster HT 2600). I am leaning towards I have a bad amp. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it? Any assistance would be much appreciated.
        It sounds like your RMB-1095 doesn't know the words. :rofl: Sorry I couldn't resist. Those amps have been know to do that once in a while. I wouldn't plug that amp into a small line conditioner like the HT2600. Try getting a "cheater plug" gound lift adaptor and see if that helps. I would also call Rotel tech support and talk to them about it. The number is 1.800.370.3740 and they are very helpful.

Eric

Comment

• ninja12
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hifiguymi
          It sounds like your RMB-1095 doesn't know the words. :rofl: Sorry I couldn't resist. Those amps have been know to do that once in a while. I wouldn't plug that amp into a small line conditioner like the HT2600. Try getting a "cheater plug" gound lift adaptor and see if that helps. I would also call Rotel tech support and talk to them about it. The number is 1.800.370.3740 and they are very helpful.

Eric
          That was a good one. I guessed I opened myself up for that one. Anyway, thanks for the number, and I will definitely give them a call.

Comment

• ninja12
            • Mar 2007

I called Rotel and talked to George. He pretty much was saying the same thing that Eric said. He said that the 1095 such get a steady feed of 118V to 120V. When it drops below 118V down to 110V then the transistors begin to work harder than normal which could cause the noise.

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ninja12
              I called Rotel and talked to George. He pretty much was saying the same thing that Eric said. He said that the 1095 such get a steady feed of 118V to 120V. When it drops below 118V down to 110V then the transistors begin to work harder than normal which could cause the noise.
              George may have said transformer, not transistor. There dc supplies are pretty well regulated, where as when a transformers primary voltage drops below 10% of rated, you may hear them "hum"@ their frequency (60 hz US, or 50hz over seas).

Comment

• ninja12
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by soundhound
                George may have said transformer, not transistor. There dc supplies are pretty well regulated, where as when a transformers primary voltage drops below 10% of rated, you may hear them "hum"@ their frequency (60 hz US, or 50hz over seas).
                Yes, I'm quite sure that is what he said. Thanks for correcting me. I did notice over the weekend that the voltage on my Monster HT2600 MKII was fluctuating between 110V and 120V. It was mostly on 120V; but, for a while, it stayed on 110V. When I was about to shut down, I just put my ear down by the amp (1095), and I did hear the hum slightly. It was no way as loud as it normally use to be. I guess it does need a steady feed of 118V to 120V.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"