New Rotel setup is now complete...wicked!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Desert Fox
    • Dec 2006

New Rotel setup is now complete...wicked!

I just got back from viewing the RHB 10/ RC-1070 combo I was set to look at. Everything was in very good conditon and sounds great. We sealed the deal on a handshake, with the money/equipment to change hands on Monday. I feel like I am walking on a cloud...

Here is the new setup:

RHB 10
    RC-1070
    RCD-1072
    Paradigm monitor 7 v.4's

This is what real life is all about....
    Alan Snider
  • The Desert Fox
    • Dec 2006

Quick questions

As I have never had separates before; What do you turn on first/off first?

On the subject of plugging in, do I want to use separate outlets for certain pieces?, and what about the use of a power bar with surge protection in all this?
    Alan Snider

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I don't really recommed a turn on order, just as long as the last thing you turn on is your amp...other than that, there's really no specific order.

Typically though I turn on my pre-amp then amp (through trigger) then my DVD/CD/etc.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• The Desert Fox
        • Dec 2006

What is the 'trigger' that you're talking about? I want to set up the new system correctly...
        Alan Snider

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

The RHB-10 doesn't have a power trigger, so it wouldn't apply to you. The 1070 has a 12v output that's on when it's on. You can use this to trigger the power of some amplifiers.

In your case you would need a power strip or conditioner that has 12v controllable outlets to automatically turn your amps on/off.

Kevin D.

Comment

• chinets
            • Jun 2005

Well put PewterTa,
            Couldn't have said it better!!
            Kevin D finished the sentence ,and all I have to say is ,welcome aboard The Forum: The Desert Fox !
            Cheers

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Power on sequence: smallest to biggest... source, pre-amp, power-amp.
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• shadow 8
                • Aug 2004

Makes absolutely no difference so long as your amp comes on last.

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Infact, using the triggers (as I do), it all kind of powers on at the same time...
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                    • Dec 2006

The Eagle has Landed

After many days of not being able to co-ordinate things for my amp purchase...The Eagle has landed!!

I now have the RHB 10/ RC 1070 in my possession. In attempting to follow Kevin D's advice, what is the price range I should expect to pay for a conditioner/power strip?

"In your case you would need a power strip or conditioner that has 12v controllable outlets to automatically turn your amps on/off." (Kevin D.)

I will also need to put some bannana plugs on the other end of my 10 guage speaker wiring, as I have never owned an amp that has bannana plug speaker connections. Any recommends here? Plus, are gold interrconnects mandatory, or what do you recommend here?

I am really entering all new territiory with this new setup and you guys can give me invaluable direction.
                    Alan Snider

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

I would recommend going to the forum sponsor (www.catcables.com) and picking up some Silver/Kingcat interconnects. They are made of silver and sound amazing (especially considering the price when you start looking else where for silver cables)...

As far as power strip/surge/conditioner, you will probably be looking in the ~$200+ range I would think. Definitely worth buying a decent one than a cheap walmart unit.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                        • Dec 2006

Thanks, PewterTA

I am looking at the following 2 conditioner units:

Monster 5100 Mk II for $425 CAN shipped

or a belkin PF60 for $350 CAN shipped
                        Alan Snider

Comment

• David L.
                          • Jul 2006

I've had the Belkin PF60 for about 6 or 8 months now. I have my RSP1068, RMB1075, RCD1072 and my DVD player plugged into it.

We've had several power surges and outages over the winter and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I think MSRP was $649 but I paid $229 U.S. for it brand new in the box. I was a little hesitant about buying it off of eBay, but the guy had good feedback so I took a chance. Money well spent, I think.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                            • Apr 2006

Why not just go with the Rotel RLC-1040 power conditioner? $500 USD. It has real-time voltage regulation with adjustable threshholds, 12 outlets, and line conditioning for sat/cable/phone, etc...and it matches your other Rotel gear.

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by The Desert Fox
                              As I have never had separates before; What do you turn on first/off first?
                              It doesn't matter as long as the amp is ON LAST and OFF FIRST.

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                                • Dec 2006

I ended up going with the Monster 5100 Mk II for $425 CAN shipped

I will take the advice and go with either Kingcats/Silvercats from Cat Cables...

Not sure how to go with speaker wiring. I currently use 10 guage stranded and was planning on adding Nakamichi 24k bannana plugs. Any advice on this guys?
                                Alan Snider

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                                  • Dec 2006

I have just added a Thorens TD 295 mk. IV to my system.

I have another question for you guys.... I have a chance to get a RHC-10 passive controller. Do you think this is an upgrade of any kind to the RC-1070 that I have or more just a cosmetic change?
                                  Alan Snider

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"