rotel and b&w setup questions - confused.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aquaanox
    • Feb 2007

rotel and b&w setup questions - confused.

guys - i need some clarification since im fairly new to all this high end audio : )

what i have is this -

rotel 1057 reciever
    CM7 fronts
    CMC center
    CM1 rear surrounds
    Velodyne spl1100r sub
    Pioneer 5070 50 inch plasma
    Monster Line Conditioner
    XBOX 360 (for DVDs and gaming of corse), setup for 5.1
    comcast cable box, setup for 5.1
    IPOD connected to the CD input on the reciever.. (everything is Apple lossless format).

would eventually be adding a turntable, and dedicated CD player.

I have the reciever setup for just using the FL and FR speakers as large, in stereo mode, and all 4 speakers set as small for all other modes. Sub is turned off in stereo mode as well.

I realise i need a phono preamp for the turntable and should probably get a 2 channel amplifier for music. Im really confused as to how all this will work. First the 1057 is a 75W x 5 channel reciever. I will use the pre-outs on the back to connect a 2 channel 100W + amplifier ? right ? (im doing this so i can play 2 channel music from the CM7's only via a dedicated amp). I still want to use this overall system with 5.1 surround sounds for movies etc. So wont connecting the amp to the fronts cause some sort of a Wattage imbalance between the fronts and the rest of the speakers. Will i still be using the volume conrol knob on the 1057 for all 5 channels ? How does all this work ? please excuse my ignorance.

~thanks in advance!
    Last edited by aquaanox; 19 February 2007, 18:53 Monday.
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

When you hook the pre-outs to an external amp, you'll still use the receiver's volume knob as you did before. What you'll probably need to do, though, is recalibrate the level of each speaker, using an SPL meter (e.g., from radio shack). This is done using the receiver's internal test tones. This is something you should do anyway, even if using the receiver alone, to ensure all channels are playing at equal sound levels.
    Brad

Comment

• aquaanox
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Blindamood
      When you hook the pre-outs to an external amp, you'll still use the receiver's volume knob as you did before. What you'll probably need to do, though, is recalibrate the level of each speaker, using an SPL meter (e.g., from radio shack). This is done using the receiver's internal test tones. This is something you should do anyway, even if using the receiver alone, to ensure all channels are playing at equal sound levels.
      thanks. however, what would the point then be of getting a higher wattage 2 channel amplifier ? i mean since the rest of the speakers will be amp'd @ 75w per channel... and the 2nd amp is at 125w per channel. And if you have to lower the level on the FL and FR. confused again . Should i be bi-amping the speakers instead ? for music sources ? (not sure how bi-amping works either).

Comment

• Sim reality
        • Aug 2005

The higher wattage 2 channel amp would better handle the dynamics of the sound from FL and FR (IE: give the music more headroom).

It lets you play louder without distortion, not just louder.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Yeah, in the power and volume levels we're talking about, more power does not equal louder. It equals better and more controlled sound at the higher volume levels.

The adjustments to the speaker levels is just to match the input levels of both amps. You're not setting a 125w amp to only produce 75w.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aquaanox
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
            Yeah, in the power and volume levels we're talking about, more power does not equal louder. It equals better and more controlled sound at the higher volume levels.

The adjustments to the speaker levels is just to match the input levels of both amps. You're not setting a 125w amp to only produce 75w.

Kevin D.
            understood. So based on this, im planning on getting either the RB-1070 or the RB-1050.. This is just for the floorstanding CM7s... Would i notice a huge difference with either one ? by bypassing the internal FL and FR channels of the 1057 ? oh, and would i be increasing the gain on the rest of the channels to match the more powerful amp ? or decreasing the gain on the FL and FR to match the rest of the channels. i feel silly asking these questions so i apologize in advance.

~thanks!
            Last edited by aquaanox; 20 February 2007, 16:40 Tuesday.

Comment

• aquaanox
              • Feb 2007

All - i got the 1070 and now i understand how this works. Also did a 'lot' of reading. Anyway, thanks for the responses and leading me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"