• Mar 2007

any words on this babe? it is July 24 now

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by hazelbrook
      any words on this babe? it is July 24 now
      It's real close! I'm hoping to have one in our store very soon to test it out.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wanderso
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DrJRapp
        As of the time of announcement the RSX 1058 could not decode multi-channel pcm audio. This may probably follow down the road with a "firmware" update so that Rotel can once again boast about their upgradeability, which historically has turned into nothing more than adding features that technologically could have been there from the start, and fixing firmware glitches.

This brings us to my final, and most decisive, Rotel objection; Rotel's upgrade policy, or better stated, policy of obsolecence. Rotel boasts upgradeability but fails to deliver. I like the fact that Anthem AVM20 owers could have the processor replaced to make the unit an AVM 30 and now it can be hardware upgraded again to a state of the art AVM50. Less than 6 months after I purchased my first Rotel pre-pro (the RSP 1066) it was left behind with the introduction of the 1068. Wait and see...the 1098 and 1068 will both be left behind once Rotel introduces their HDMI replacements. Rotel's excuse (that they already exercised with the 1066) will be that the internal processor couldn't handle the load and needed to be replaced. This MAY be acceptable to some at $1K, but not at $2K. I feel more secure spending $6700 on my Anthem Statement prepro, than I did spending "only" $3000 on a Rotel RSP 1098 knowing that for a modest fee Anthem will update my Statement D2 to HDMI 1.3 from 1.2 (even if it means a new processor chip) when the time comes and I won't have to purchase a whole new pre-pro.

The Sherwoods benefit by being cheap enough to just replace: Sherwood's 872 receiver with somewhat equivalent specs to the Rotel 1058, but with "better" 1080P upscaling will only list at $1K... their upper level 972 version with more HDMI switching and control options will list at $1500. In reality the Sherwood Newcastle line's pricing policy is realy more CE than Rotel's entry level Audio/Videophile, however, it's build quality and performance, along with the "elan" of an old time high end audiophile moniker puts it on par with Rotel.
        As a long time Rotel owner and a first gen 1066 owner I am 100% in agreement with you on Rotel's so called "upgrade" statemets. They never did fix the problems with the 1066 and just let it go.

I am also a Classe owner now because of Rotel's policies on upgrades AND Rotel's policy on how they convert their US prices into Canadian dollars...one look at the two lists and you will see a 40% (varies) "exchange" rate on the LIST price. Last time I looked the rate was$0.96 US equals $1.00 Canadian. And there are no duties on the importation, so don't try that argument.

Rotel has not lived up to it's promises period.

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

I talked to Rotel today and they are still in the process of upgrading the software and testing every unit. As frustrating as waiting is, I'd rather them be right the first time and not have to do a bunch of updates in the field. I don't have a specific date as to when they will ship, but it should be soon.

Eric

Comment

• nash
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by hifiguymi
            I talked to Rotel today and they are still in the process of upgrading the software and testing every unit. As frustrating as waiting is, I'd rather them be right the first time and not have to do a bunch of updates in the field. I don't have a specific date as to when they will ship, but it should be soon.
            This money has burning a hole in my pocket since about April I have been holding off on watching some of my Blu Rays because I am using the analog input on my 1066 for my HD DVD player. I can't enjoy uncompressed audio on both players until I get the 1058 with HDMI audio in my hands. Bring on the 1058!

Comment

• rick c
              • Aug 2004

I'm curious if anyone is going from the rsx1056 to the 1058.Wondering if it's worth it.

Comment

• nash
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by rick c
                I'm curious if anyone is going from the rsx1056 to the 1058.Wondering if it's worth it.
                I think that will really depend if you need the HDMI upscaling and the HDMI audio capabilities. I am personally only replacing my 1066 with it because I cannot get uncompressed audio from two sources (my 1066 has one multi-channel analog input, and no HDMI input) and I have both HD DVD and Blu Ray. It is a hassle to switch 6 analog cables each time and I would rather have a new processor than purchase an analog audio switcher (such as the Zektor one).

I don't really care about the HDMI upscaling because I will always feed it a 1080i or 1080p source, though some people might benefit from that with an older DVD player.

And of course, being a few years newer than the 1056 and a whole new design, it's possible the 1058 will sound better than the 1056 in the same way the 1068 sounded better than the 1066. For me though, I am buying it mostly for HDMI audio.

Comment

• rick c
                  • Aug 2004

I guess i'll stick with my trusty old rsx1056.I only have one hdmi source anyways a tosh hda1 which is connected straight to the display,and audio is coax.My dvda/sacd player is using my 5.1 analogs,which is more important to me anyways.I'm not too keen on switchers either.Dont get me wrong i would love to get one also for simplicity sakes,but in the last few months i've upgraded my speakers,cd player and my universal player.So i'm tapped out for a long while.

Comment

• gwarner
                    • Aug 2007

PCM audio via HDMI

I have been trying to get a definitive answer on the RSX1058's ability to pass uncompressed PCM via HDMI. Specifically Blue Ray multi-channel audio from my PS3. Reading through this thread it seems to be a topic with others, so I thought I would pass along this e-mail from Rotel's service supervisor.

Gary,

I just got through testing this and the receiver did receive this type of format and played them without any problems. I used a PS3 as my BD source and had 4 different discs. First I used “Underworld Evolutions” and selected PCM 5.1 uncompressed via the HDMI cable and the 1058 recognized it as a multi-channel signal at 48kHz. Next I used “Young Guns” and selected DTS HD audio and the 1058 received the signal the same as before. Next I used “300” and selected Dolby TrueHD and the 1058 received the signal the same as before. Finally, I used “Waiting” and selected 7.1 PCM Audio uncompressed and the 1058 received the signal the same as the previous 3 tests. My conclusion is that it does definitely accept the formats and provides you with the audio output according to the format. Hopefully this is the information that you required to finalize your decision.

Best Regards,

Mr. Shane Kea

Rotel Service Supervisor

B&W Group USA

Comment

• davewolfs
                      • Aug 2007

I would try to confirm with them the bass management of the 1058. Specifically, if it applies +10 gain for the LFE /.1/ Sub channel. When dealing with LPCM over HDMI.

Comment

• hazelbrook
                        • Mar 2007

I guess Rotel has shipped out their RSX1058. Any owners of this device? any comment?

Comment

• Dmantis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2004

HDMI 1.3 is here. I heard they are only going to support 1.1. I hope Rotel has upgraded this Info since then. Everything is going 1.3 and it would be a waste not to release a new pproduct without it.
                          The ability to decode the new audio formats correctly is so important. HD DVD and Blue Ray are selling very well. Ble Ray is selling a bit better. I'm sure at some point HD cable/Dss is gonna start broad casting in the new Audio formats.

Comment

• gwarner
                            • Aug 2007

Hdm1 1.3

I'm not sure what the concern with the RSX1058 not being HDMI 1.3 is. There are no HD DVD or BD players currently that have the ability to send the new audio format as compressed bitstreams. They all decode the audio and send as multi-channel PCM bit for bit as it was coded by the movie studio. Even if bitsteam was possible out the player, the studio authoring of additional audio tracks would be lost. The HDMI 1.1 does not stream SACD, so if you have one of those players it is a problem that could only be fixed by using the analog inputs on the reciever.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by gwarner
                              I'm not sure what the concern with the RSX1058 not being HDMI 1.3 is. There are no HD DVD or BD players currently that have the ability to send the new audio format as compressed bitstreams. They all decode the audio and send as multi-channel PCM bit for bit as it was coded by the movie studio. Even if bitsteam was possible out the player, the studio authoring of additional audio tracks would be lost. The HDMI 1.1 does not stream SACD, so if you have one of those players it is a problem that could only be fixed by using the analog inputs on the reciever.
                              It's because most people do not understand what 1.3 means...
                              it's a buzz word and dammit they need it...

(oh well)

Wait till they find out 1.3a was surpassed by 1.3b and now that's been surpassed by 1.3b1 - and I'm not even making that up (it's too stupid and FUBAR to make up)

Comment

• Destruction
                                • Dec 2006

It's because most people do not understand what 1.3 means...
                                it's a buzz word and dammit they need it...

(oh well)

Wait till they find out 1.3a was surpassed by 1.3b and now that's been surpassed by 1.3b1 - and I'm not even making that up (it's too stupid and FUBAR to make up)
                                Well said.
                                Best regards,

Comment

• nash
                                  • Mar 2004

There is a good article on www.highdefdigest.com that outlines the features of HDMI 1.3 and why it's really not needed at this time.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dmantis
                                    HDMI 1.3 is here. I heard they are only going to support 1.1. I hope Rotel has upgraded this Info since then. Everything is going 1.3 and it would be a waste not to release a new pproduct without it.
                                    The ability to decode the new audio formats correctly is so important. HD DVD and Blue Ray are selling very well. Ble Ray is selling a bit better. I'm sure at some point HD cable/Dss is gonna start broad casting in the new Audio formats.
                                    Blu-Ray and HD DVD are not selling well (at all)... you might want to check that..

and the 1.3 receivers you see on the market today say they are 1.3 but they are simply 1.3 compatible... (apparently lost in translation)

1.3 and 1.3a and 1.3b and 1.3b1 which do you want..? :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"