X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

Originally posted by rick c
    i think i understand somewhat.I have a rotel rsx1056 which supposedly should not be used with 4ohm speakers like dynaudio without an amp.
    rick,

Just curious, have you ever tried it?

Comment

• rick c
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by gianni
      rick,

Just curious, have you ever tried it?
      Actually no.Before i got the speakers i have now i was interested in dynaudio which are 4ohm.I contacted rotel tell to see if i could use the rotel w/o an amp and they said definately no that it is not recommended.Since(after i got my speakers) i have read similar posts where it would be ok with 4ohm speakers.So who really knows,i just rather be safe than sorry.

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

Actually no.Before i got the speakers i have now i was interested in dynaudio which are 4ohm.I contacted rotel tell to see if i could use the rotel w/o an amp and they said definately no that it is not recommended.Since(after i got my speakers) i have read similar posts where it would be ok with 4ohm speakers.So who really knows,i just rather be safe than sorry.
        I think the RSX-1056 might run out of steam at higher volumes (which can happen in movies really easily) running 4 ohm speakers, but it will still work fine. I don't think you'll break it unless you push it hard all of the time. Since impedence changes all of the time in a speaker because of the frequency being played and voice coil temperature it's tough to tell how well an amp will handle a speaker until you try it.

Eric

Comment

• chinets
          • Jun 2005

1095 anyone????

Comment

• Ferres
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by obiwan
            Interesting to see how the bass goes over time. Seeing as I'll be using my DEQX to equalise the woofer anyway it will be interesting to see if a different correction filter would be needed some months later. I can't imagine it changing significantly though.
            I don't know if this is exclusively related to the 1077. The bass was barely there for the first day of use but significantly got better by the 4th day.

First day, I used my subwoofer. 4th day, no more need for the sub. :T

Comment

• Ferres
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by chinets
              1095 anyone????
              It's kinda big and heavy. ops:

Comment

• miner
                • Mar 2005

2- Rb-1092 & 1- 1091 = $6500

Comment

• gianni
                  • Nov 2002

rick c,

Reason I ask is that ran 4 ohm speakers with my Rotel receiver (RSX-1055, same power section as the 1056 and 1057) for about 3 years with no problems. I've also tried outboard amps and honestly, there is not much audible difference until the volume reaches wall shaking levels - louder than a person who even slightly cares about his hearing would listen at.

I did call Rotel with the same question and they told me the 1055 would handle it - this supports what hifiguymi said. Of course, not all 4 ohm speakers are created equal. You also have to consider sensitivity, and whether you are running them full range or small. In my case, I used 80hz crossover so this does reduce demands on the amp. So, 4 ohm speakers can be used with these receivers in many cases. I know this is straying from the thread a bit, but you should know that even the small Rotel receivers have fairly stout amp sections.

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

Ferres,
                    Very true!! But it really Kicks Ass!! Don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"