X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwi_frog
    • Aug 2006

RSX 1067 computer connection

On the back of the RSX 1067 there is an ethernet port - with a dongle that converts it to a serial port. My question is - Can I control the receiver via the serial port, and if so, where is the software avaliable. I know that its designed to do software upgrades, but on my old Marantz SR7400 I could fully command the receiver from the PC. This would be usefull in my situation.

I assume that the ethernet port is an ethernet port in looks only, and is just an unusual way of having a serial interface?

Thanks
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

No free software, but the RS232 protocol is on Rotel's site if you want to write your own.

Kevin D.

Comment

• simonb68
      • Jan 2003

I no longer own Rotel, but occasionally browse this forum and came across this question. Some while back I wrote a VB6 emulator for the older RSX/RSP units. Source code is here - http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~barnards/

If the protocol hasn't changed, or changed much then you're welcome to use this as a basis for any controller you want to develop.

I never got the emulator for the RA/RC units working, so I wouldn't bother with that one.

Have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them (assuming I get reply notifications).

Simon

Comment

• kiwi_frog
        • Aug 2006

Hmmm.. I gotta go sort out MSCOMM32.OCX first apparently.. This is standard in XP I presume? Or not so, being that I dont apparently have it installed!

Comment

• Rodney
          • Mar 2007

Program

Hey guys,

I just got done writing a program that lets you control a Rotel RSX-1067.

I have a buddy that talked me into creating it for him. Feel free to try it out and see if it works for you.

I also set it up so it might work with other models, however I have been unable to test anything besides the RSX-1067.

It can be found at http://CaffeineProductions.com.

Currently it has only been tested on Windows XP.

Any feed back would be welcome.
          Rodney

Brought to you by a caffeine-induced sleep disorder.

Comment

• Intake
            • Mar 2007

Rodney, I downloaded your app and it looks great.
            I would like to add the HEX codes for my 1068 Pre/Pro for use. I looked at the ByteCode.xml file, and I'm not sure I understand how to convert my HEX codes to the format outlined in your XML. It doesn't appear to a simple HEX to ASCII conversion. Could you give us a very brief tutorial on how to convert our HEX codes?
            Evergreen, CO

Comment

• Rodney
              • Mar 2007

ByteCode update

Intake,

If your willing to give me a hand, I'd love to flesh out that functionality in the program. I know the ByteCode.xml file is hard to read, and to be honest, chances are I'll be changing how it works so the codes are in Hex. For now I'd like to get it working for you. I'll look for the spec sheet for your model, but if you have it, please send it my way.

You can find my e-mail in the help file.
              Rodney

Comment

• Intake
                • Mar 2007

IM sent, email coming!
                Evergreen, CO

Comment

• Rodney
                  • Mar 2007

Updating Commands for use on other models

After Intake's feedback, I have simplified the process of updating the commands sent. Still not perfect in my eyes. Changing a code currently requires the following steps on Version 3.18.2007:

1. Find and open the file ByteCodes.xml (you might have to run the program once for it to appear)
                  2. Find the line that corresponds to the command you want to update.
                  Example: Mute
                  <Mute>FE03C4101EF5</Mute>

3. Update the line to the hex value of the command. This data tends to be found in a Commands spec sheet. (Example )
                  <Mute>FE03A1101ED2</Mute>

4. Save the updated ByteCodes.xml file and restart the application.

As always any feedback is welcome.
                  Rodney

Comment

• Intake
                    • Mar 2007

A BIG Thank You to Rodney! It is encouraging to see individuals with the know how help provide this support, and it is much appreciated. I was able to adapt my RSX-1068 code set to work with this program. I now have full control of my pre/pro using my HTPC over COM1. All Zone2 functions work as well.

Also another Thank You to Rotel for publishing the RS232 command set and structure for your equipment.

If anyone else is looking for a device specific code set for you RSX-1068, you can download it here: http://www.avalonsystems.net/files/ByteCodes.xml.zip
                    Evergreen, CO

Comment

• TLRules
                      • Mar 2007

I just wanted to mention that this program really works!!

If you desire in any way to control your Rotel with your pc, you will want this program.
                      TL

Comment

• Intake
                        • Mar 2007

I've have been playing with the software this evening while watching a DVD on my HTPC. It's quite nice to have volume control directly from the keyboard.

There is a bug that I have found that keeps the computer from shutting down, but other than that I'm pretty darned happy.

However, I have to say that I'm a little surprised to see little interest from the others on this board. This is real RS232 control that others pay thousands for. Hopefully other will jump in and play. There are definitely features to be added, so I'm interested to hear other perspectives.
                        Evergreen, CO

Comment

• Rodney
                          • Mar 2007

Bug

TL reported the problem also. I will take a look at the issue for the next patch release.
                          Rodney

Comment

• Rodney
                            • Mar 2007

Updated Patch

I just finished posting a patch that should take care of the "unable to shut down" bug. Long story, but the program will no longer minimize when you "x" out.

The patch notes and a link to download it can be found at : http://caffeineproductions.com/Main/?p=14

There is at least one more feature I'm looking to add, feedback from the device. Not totally sure just yet, but I think I can do it.

I'm open to other enchancements requests.
                            Rodney

Comment

• Intake
                              • Mar 2007

Thanks for the update Rodney. I'll download it and test it out. I sent you an email with some other thoughts.

FYI t o everyone else, I use this program every day from my office machines to control the volume of the receiver that is located in the adjacent room. I use VNC to control the app from my office machines.

TL, I'm curious to hear what applications you had in mind for this app when you asked Rodney to develop this app? Are you using it for Zone 2 control?
                              Evergreen, CO

Comment

• TLRules
                                • Mar 2007

Hey Intake,

Nothing quite so fancy. I was simply getting tired of reaching behind me to adjust volume (and some shoulder pain).
                                My Rotel and surround speakers are for my pc. The Rotel is only about 2ft. away, but behind me.
                                Since the Rotel had a PC interface, and I know a programmer, I asked if he could write something up for me to control volume.

So there you go. This program was born from true laziness.

BTW, we worked on it for a couple of hours tonight, and he's got some real exciting stuff coming!
                                TL

Comment

• Intake
                                  • Mar 2007

Rodney, just curious to see if you have had any time to make additional improvements. I like the program now, but I am finding more and more that having the ability to switch surround modes from the interface would be beneficial.

Has anyone else tried this program, or do you need help adding the HEX codes into the bytecode.xml file?
                                  Evergreen, CO

Comment

• branston4me
                                    • Jun 2008

Is Rodney still there?

Hi Rodney

I am very interested in all the good things people on the forum are saying about your rotel control software.

I have followed all the links to caffeinproductions but just get a title page with no further links.

Is your software still around? available? free?

cheers
                                    Ian

Comment

• TLRules
                                      • Mar 2007

Rotel 4 Sale

Hi All,

My Rotel is now for sale, please find a listing here --> http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/1231885225.html
                                      TL

Comment

• kmckenn
                                        • Jan 2007

I'm OBVIOUSLY a bit "behind the curve" here, "but" I've just recently introduced a PC as a component in my HT system, own a RSX1056, and would like to interface it to a PC for control via the PC.

The software referenced in this thread are dead links...

Anyone able to offer up any help?

some_tall_guy44 at hotmail dot com

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"