X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steel
    • Mar 2004

Help! Is my "new" RDV 1060 a demo?

I received my Rotel gear today and a couple of things struck me as immediately suspect, making me concerned about my purchase.

First, the box for my RDV 1060 had two layers of tape -- a clear layer of tape over the bold-lettered ROTEL tape. I cannot think of any reason why this second layer of tape would be applied unless the box had been opened previously. Of the various Rotel gear I took delivery of today, this was the only box that had this second layer of tape.

Second, after the installer unpacked everything (including the 1060) he told my wife, "make sure you have a DVD tomorrow to try this out once we have everything hooked up. You'd be surprised at how many people buy new DVD players but don't have DVD's to try out." However, when I returned home from work, I noticed that not only was there a DVD in the player, it was the EXACT SAME disk that I watched at the dealer when he was demonstrating the product -- a DVD that I do not own. Clearly, the installer would not have said this to my wife if he ad been aware that a DVD was already in the machine.

All of this suggests to me that I have taken delivery of an RDV 1060 that had (1) been opened before it was delivered and (2) played the very same DVD that I watched on the demo model at the dealer.

Now, I could just be paranoid. I have never before bought anything from Rotel or this dealer. It is entirely possible that in the normal course that Rotel dealers open the RDV 1060's before delivery and test them at the store. I simply don't know.

Nevertheless, my antennae are raised. Before I cause a scene at the dealer, I want to know if there is some piece of documentation that I can look for that would indicate that this model was a demo.

Please advise.
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

Sounds to me like you simply need to ask you dealer. No need to get huffy with them, but it is curious. Just tell them that the box had been previously opened and there was a disc in the machine. Perhaps they didn indeed check the machine before sending it out. If that's the case, they should have told you. If it bothers you too much, you could ask them to exchange the one you just took delivery of for one that's never been opened.

Try to keep a good relationship with your dealer. (Unless they're truly being underhanded.) You can't hop online and get Rotel gear, so having a good relationship with your local dealer is important!

Good luck.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"