X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steel
    • Mar 2004

RSX 1056, RX 1050, RCC 1055, RDV 1050

I have been following the traffic on this site for several months and I have found the questions and answers extremely valuable in my making my own decisions. Based on the information I have learned and my own listening at the dealer, I have decided to purchase a Rotel/B&W system, which I detail below. Please note, I live in NYC and space is at an extraordinary premium. Accordingly, I am forced to use wall-mounted speakers -- believe me, speakers are much cheaper than Manahattan real estate.

There will be two zones: one for HT, the other for listening. In the HT zone, I will have the RSX 1056 with 5 B&W FPM 5's and a velodyne sub. In the other zone, I will have the RX 1050 driving a pair of B&W Signature SCM1's with a velodyne sub. The sources for both zones will be an RDV 1050 and an RCC 1055.

My questions are the following:

1. Does anyone know when the 1056 will ship? My dealer keeps claiming that it should arrive shortly. Given the paucity of reviews, I am somewhat wary of paying so much for something I haven't heard.

2. Should I be concerned by the numerous posts detailing problems with Rotel's new lines (1098, 1066 etc.)? My understanding is that the 1056 has a similar processor and I'm wondering if I should expect the same problems.

3. Is it reasonable to expect my dealer to have downloaded and installed the latest firmware (as of the date of installation) or is that something I should expect to be doing myself?

4. Is there a significant difference between the RCC 1055 and the new RCD 1072 (other than the fact that the 1055 plays 5 and the 1072 plays 1)? If so, does anyone know if Rotel plans to produce a carousel version of the 1072?

5. What is the difference between the RDV 1050 and the RDV 1060? The Rotel site, to a novice like me, is difficult to understand on this point.

6. Does the RX 1050 have enough power (100 wpc) to drive the B&W Signature SCM1's? My understanding is that the SCM's are basically the same as the 805's. I simply don't know what information is relevant to this analysis.

Thanks very much in advance for any responses and I apologize if these questions have been answered in previous posts.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Wow.. Big list. Here goes:

1. Does anyone know when the 1056 will ship? My dealer keeps claiming that it should arrive shortly. Given the paucity of reviews, I am somewhat wary of paying so much for something I haven't heard.
    It's shipping now, but stock is low. If it was just ordered, plan on two weeks, but it could be sooner.

2. Should I be concerned by the numerous posts detailing problems with Rotel's new lines (1098, 1066 etc.)? My understanding is that the 1056 has a similar processor and I'm wondering if I should expect the same problems.
    The 1066 is a different line. The 1098 is mainly having problems when updating to the newest firmware. I would anticipate you having no problems.

3. Is it reasonable to expect my dealer to have downloaded and installed the latest firmware (as of the date of installation) or is that something I should expect to be doing myself?
    Reasonable, yes. Will it happen, probably not. You might want to request the latest version to be installed before it comes to you, and have them test it out to make sure it works after the update. They should accomadate you.

Is There a significant difference between the RCC 1055 and the new RCD 1072 (other than the fact that the 1055 plays 5 and the 1072 plays 1)? If so, does anyone know if Rotel plans to produce a carousel version of the 1072?
    Yes there is significant difference. The 1072 is a higher end player while the 1055 is a mid range changer. The transports on a changer will usually lower the sound quality so most manufactures don't bother releasing a high end changer. The real question is whether YOU will notice a difference. Most likely not too much, but you would need to decide on 1 disc vs 5.

5. What is the difference between the RDV 1050 and the RDV 1060? The Rotel site, to a novice like me, is difficult to understand on this point.
    No one knows for sure. We don't know if the 1050 will replace the 1060 or if they will coexist for a while. The 1040/1050 use the same chipset that some JVC units have, how much of a JVC they are I don't know. From what I've seen, I think video quality is equal on both the 1050 and 1060 with the 1060 pulling ahead on audio quality. I went with the 1040 because I don't listen to multichannel music and the video circuit has some cool functions that I would use that the 1060 doesn't. (Adjustable video controls, so I can sent my tv's input for HD and then tweak the DVD to work on those, and like a 30 disc memory so all my demo discs can start where I saved them to.)

6. Does the RX 1050 have enough power (100 wpc) to drive the B&W Signature SCM1's? My understanding is that the SCM's are basically the same as the 805's. I simply don't know what information is relevant to this analysis.
    Generally I wouldn't think 100wpc is enough for Signature 805's. Not enough power for contol at the lower frequencies. But since the SCM's do not have the same airspace as the 805's and other issues to make them flat I think it will be a good compromise for space.

Good luck and let us know how it sounds!

Kevin D.

Comment

• Steel
      • Mar 2004

Kevin,

Thanks for your prompt and thorough responses. I suppose I still have a few questions which are probably a result of me not understanding the nuances of your response.

1. With respect to the "differences" between the RDV 1050 and 1060, it's not clear to me why Rotel would tolerate market uncertainty regarding its models. Given the abundance of moderately priced alternatives (Denon 2900, etc.), I would think that Rotel would want to have as clear a message as possible. All that whining aside, I understand your response to be that (1) video is identical; (2) the 1060 has better audio; and (3) the 1060 lacks certain features that other models (the 1040 at least) have. Is there anything else?

2. You suggest that the RX 1050 may be insufficient with the Signature SCM's. Would a velodyne sub with the Signature SCM's solve (or at least help) the power control problems at the lower frequencies that you identify?

3. Can anyone explain what an RS 232 interface is and why I should want it?

Thanks very much. This has been extremely useful.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I would think that Rotel would want to have as clear a message as possible.
        You and everyone else. Rotel and DVD has always been a touchy subject. The 1080 was overpriced and outdated when it was released. The 1060 has some issues that I don't belive have been solved yet (layer change and a DVD-A bug that defaults the player to the wrong video output). And now we have the 1040/1050 that the only clear thing is the 1040 is a 1050 without DVDA.. I think it stems mainly from the fact that Rotel modifies existing platforms to create new models. This in itself creates a lag in technology. The 1080 lacked DVDA when everyone else had it, the 1060 lacked SACD when universals were starting to appear, and as costs on other players come down they release the 1040/1050 to compete (Which still lacks SACD). I would expect them to release a universal player around December (after every other $200+ player has it).

With the extremely fast changing DVD area, Rotel just doesn't have enough sales or manpower to release new players of their own design every 6 months. Until that time comes expect machines 6 months behind, based off of other manufacturers, and with questionable differences.

All that whining aside, I understand your response to be that (1) video is identical; (2) the 1060 has better audio; and (3) the 1060 lacks certain features that other models (the 1040 at least) have. Is there anything else?
        Correct. Now also, the 1060 does somethings different/better than the 1040/1050. I basically pulled up both manuals side by side and compared how each one operated and chose which one had more functions I wanted. The 1050 did and I didn't need DVDA, so the 1040 won.

2. You suggest that the RX 1050 may be insufficient with the Signature SCM's. Would a velodyne sub with the Signature SCM's solve (or at least help) the power control problems at the lower frequencies that you identify?
        I know the 1050 would be a little lacking on S805's.. Never heard a pair of SCM in a stereo configuration to say for sure. Adding a sub would definately help out as you would have all 100watts dedicated to upper-bass -> treble. But not knowing your tastes, I would have them just install the SCMS first. Ask them to loop the speaker wires out a box where you would put the sub if you were to get one later. IE, receiver -> wall box -> another wall box where the sub would go -> out the wall where the SCM will hang. That way if you decide you do need some backup, you could easily install it yourself (cut the wires that are looped and run them in and out of your sub, adjust the crossover to taste).

3. Can anyone explain what an RS 232 interface is and why I should want it?
        RS232 is a serial protocol for computer control. It's the 9pin port on your computer you probably never use anymore. You would probably never utilize it. I do because I have an AMX automation system running my theater. RS232 to the 1098 gives me all the control I need (full remote functionality + a bunch of extended codes useful in macro-ing commands from one button push).

Plus it also allows the 1098 to tell my system what it's doing. What input its on (so when someone selects a different source from the front, the system automatically switches the TV to the source, turns the source on, sets the sub volume and bass shaker volume for that source, etc....), what volume it's at (my system ramps my two exhaust fans based on what volume level I'm at, anything below 40 is barely on, 72 is full blast, hear them in the next room loud), and even what surround mode is active (to know whether to turn on the center rear amp, where I like my bass levels, etc..)

The 1060 also has RS232 that I didn't need. In additional to control it will tell you what state the player is in (play,paused,stopped), track times, etc.. Useful in whole house systems where the player might be in a closet and you had to show status on touchpanels through-out the house. For me my DVD is right behind me, plus my zone 2 video is routed to my touchpanel so I can easily see what's it's doing.

So that's the long answer, but at least you know you probably could live without it.. (side note, the 1056's RS232 port is also it's software update port so I guess technically you would use it on that, but I figured you were asking because of a 1050/1060 comparison.)

Kevin D.

Comment

• hamlynfox
          • Apr 2004

It is my understanding that the RDV-1060 incorporates the RCD-1072 CD player

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"