X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tme
    • Mar 2004

How much current for 12V trigger?

Hi, I want to connect a trigger from my Marantz receiver to a Rotel 1075. The receiver has a switched 120V AC outlet. I was going to buy a 12V DC power adaptor and connect a 3.5mm adaptor on the end. How much current does this adaptor need to provide to make the trigger work? 200ma? 500?

Thanks!
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

Being creative are we ?

A 12V trigger input usually requires somewhere from 5 to 25 mA, definitely not more, so virtually any 12V DC adaptor you can find will do fine.

Comment

• Hd4life
      • Feb 2004

I was interested in installing two 12v computer fans in the back of my rack, could I use the 12v trigers to run those fans...?

Comment

• tme
        • Mar 2004

Thanks DrBoom

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

HD:

If doing it the way Tme is, then yes you can use the 12v power supply to run some fans. However if you meant straight out of a 12v trigger to the fans than no, no where near enough current.

You could use the 12v trigger to click a relay on and off. Wire the 12v trigger to the coil and then use a 12v power supply ran through the relay to power the fans..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Bostonears
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Hd4life
            I was interested in installing two 12v computer fans in the back of my rack, could I use the 12v trigers to run those fans...?
            For anyone considering the use of computer fans in a home theater system, fan noise will be a concern. The company Antec makes a series of computer fans called SmartCool. These have built-in temperature sensors which reduce the speed of the fan when the air temp is fairly low. I've got one in my PC, and it runs MUCH quieter than the stock fan.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

If you are good with circuits, you can build your own controller for about $15 in parts.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"