X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • musman
    • Jul 2006

Power rating discrepancy in a Rotel RB-1092

If you read the review of the RB-1092 on Rotels web site it states that the manufactures output power rating is 600wpc & that they got 635w out of it. Rotels specification is 500wpc. What's the deal?

• Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

I think the discrepency is pretty typical. I've read reviews of the RMB-1075 (rated by Rotel at 120W per channel) that have measured its true power at closer to 150-160W per. I believe it is more honest for a manufacturer to 'under-rate' its products, rather than the opposite.

Maybe a good analogy would be the estimated mileage sticker on a new car...your mileage may vary in the real world (due to variance in build components, driving style, maintenance, etc.).
    Brad

Comment

• musman
      • Jul 2006

I see what you are saying but in the review they state that the 600 watt rating is the manufactures specification. If you look on Rotels site they are rated at 500 watts. Just makes me wonder what it really puts out.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

The 500 watt Rotel rating is with both channels driven. I imagine the 600 watt spec is with a single channel driven, something Rotel doesn't really need to 'market' on their lit.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DL86
          • Sep 2005

Just referring to the rb-1090. It was measured that it gives out 410 watts per channel both channels driven and the maximum power consumption is 800 watts stated by rotel on the back of the amplifier, you are saying this is only for one channel driven? which makes it effectively 1600 watts power consumption when both channels are driven to their maximum?

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

The discussion is just related to output watts. The review stated Rotel rated them for 600 watts (output), while all the lit states 500 watts.

The power consumption rating is what you should see for most every listening scenario, but it isn't max consumption.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DL86
              • Sep 2005

So that explains the reason why my fuse blew when I connected the 1090 and 1080 onto the same powerpoint. The moment I hit the switch on the 1090 the peak current required to switch the amplifier on exceeded the max current of the fuse thus blew it the 1080 was switched on too. Is this true that a high current is required to turn the amplifier on?

Cheers, David

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Most likely yes. Without using high volume test tones, the peak current will usually be highest at turn-on.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"