X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What is the difference between an "interactive" EQ and a "Room" EQ. Based on all my posts, and need for flavoring, which one is better for me.
    Interactive is one where the EQ functions are somewhat automated. This can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on the user and the particular system.

Parametric EQ's offer major advantages over simple graphic EQ sliders or dials....

The 'best' way to measure for setting EQ is using gated time/energy testing (MLS maximum length sequence). Computer programs like ETF 4.0 do this. An easier method is using swept sine testing. TrueRTA offers a 'chirp' function and is easy to use. Pink noise or fixed sine wave testing is the least reliable.

The important thing to remember about any form of EQ is that measurements needed to taken in multiple places in the room. If one only uses measurements from the so called 'sweet-spot' one quickly learns that there can be significant changes when the mic is moved 18" in one direction or another.

Although primarily focused on subwoofers, you might find the info I have posted below helpful. Note that all the pages are still underconstruction

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Interactive is one where the EQ functions are somewhat automated. This can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on the user and the particular system.
      Really? Interactive usually means that the user and the machine interact in a functional way and that's the way I intended it. Automation removes much of that user input. One can also allow for the interactivity between the system and room/speakers with an automated EQ but that isn't the contrast I was making.

Parametric EQ's offer major advantages over simple graphic EQ sliders or dials....
      Yes but it is less intuitive to the unpracticed. Once you learn it, it is more effective.

The 'best' way to measure for setting EQ is using gated time/energy testing (MLS maximum length sequence). Computer programs like ETF 4.0 do this. An easier method is using swept sine testing. TrueRTA offers a 'chirp' function and is easy to use. Pink noise or fixed sine wave testing is the least reliable.
      Agreed but add the freeware Room EQ Wizard to the list.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• denass
        • Jun 2004

Hi Frank
        A thought too is professional EQ's and there is mono and stereo versions with up to 31 bands and readily available.If you go that way look for ones that have RCA sockets as most have 3 pin sockets---one is balanced the other unbalanced.Just a thought.

Comment

• frank1203
          • Apr 2006

I think by "professional", you mean the EQs that are used for studio recording as opposed to home stereo use?

FYI. I really like the Audio Control Bijou and think it would be perfect for my needs. However the price tag is a little steep. So, I need to weigh my options.. Do I need an EQ that will control my entire Audio/Video system (all 5.1) or can I save a few bucks and just buy the AudioSource 200 EQ which can control only my front two speakers and save me about $800.00 in the meantime. Remember, way back when in my first post.. My issue is being able to "flavor" CD music and that my video sounded pretty good already. Comments anyone?

Comment

• raider
            • Dec 2004

Frank1203,

You won't be disapointed with the Bijou or the (Realto) ,the model I use. It works very well with my Rotel 1098 and my statement P5. :T

The best way to dial things in is with the Riva audio test disk and the Radio Shack Spl meter. :T

The test disc has a set of tones properly curved for the limited response characteristics of the shack's built in microphone and yields the best results

Good luck!!!!
            It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

I had 7 Rane ME31's at one point. Single channel 31 band professional models.

Goal was to be close to perfect response and improve room features. Found two things out.

1: Until I have a dedicated closed room with sound treatment, nothing is going to fix the room.

2: I bought my speakers because I liked the way they colored the sound. EQ'ing everything as it's 'supposed' to be made me not like the speakers.

So my thoughts on the subject are:

If you like being told what something should sound like, get an EQ and set it up properly.

If you don't like the way your speakers sound, get new speakers. If that's not possible, try an EQ and play around.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"