X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Atorak
    • Feb 2004

Purchased a 1068 (w/IIx) - Little Help!

Hey everyone. Well, the bonus came in, and I purchased the 1068 to go with my 1075, and the B&W N804s. Boy, it is heaven. When first listening to music, TV, movies, and everything else with the 1068, the thing I noticed the most was the absolute CLARITY of everything. Voices are so real you cannot even explain it. And it sounds as if the Soundstage has widened a bit too, and definately gained more Height in the room, keeping all other things equal.

This thing is truly awesome, and my dealer said that after comparing the 1066 to the 1068, its foolish to save a couple bucks (in the long run) to grab the 1066. He listened to them both, and said that he enjoyed the sound of the 1068 much better (much closer, if not as close, to the 1098 than the 1066 he said).

But, I ran into a snag. TV was great. CDs were great, even out of my Panasonic XP30 DVD player. But, when I put in Saving Private Ryan, for some reason, I got a loud, almost 'snowy' sound coming from each of the speakers in the main menu. Then, it seemed to disappear a bit into the movie, but I also recall hearing it a few other times as well. It really shocked me.

I was thinking that it could be my Optical connection from the DVD player to the receiver, but it was connected properly. What does that mean, if I am getting that type of unclear sound? It never happened before. Is it because this unit is so much more revealing, that I have a problem somewhere upstream? Or downstream even? I guess I am not sure how to fix it, but if anyone had some recommendations, I am ALL EARS!
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Atorak,

Congratulations on the RSP-1068 & I'm glad it shocked you with the improved sound quality over the Integra. Many people don't believe it until they hear it - but it is a good shock....

Re the noise - hiss - I haven't heard this before on Private Ryan (Region 4 DVD though)- so you may want to try one or more of the following:
    • Changing to a Coax Digital cable (they sound better anyway IMHO on the Rotels). This will eliminate any optical noise / jitter / signal loss issues.
    • Temporarily trying the Analog inputs from your DVD (may need some menu fiddling in the DVD and removing the digital cable to the RSP-1068 ) to see if the sound is still there with analog (in which case it is on the DVD).
    • Try the exact DVD in s shop DVD player (assuming that dealer who lent you the Denon 2900 and Rotel RCD-02 / RCD-1072 still "loves you" now you've made his week with the B&Ws and 1068!

And just how big was that bonus - remember there is still (pick one) the Denon 2900 or the RCD-1072 or 02 to retry now you have a more revealing source and speakers...

PS – I recommend Club B&W if you haven’t tried it for any queries / support etc on those great 804s you now have....

Geoff

Comment

• Atorak
      • Feb 2004

Geoff,

I already HAD the N804s. Heh, yes, that would be some bonus if I picked up the 1068 and the 804s. Yikes, maybe in a few years, eh?

I would immediately switch to the Digital Coax, but my Panasonic doesnt have one! *grins* So, I should wait a little while before I pick up the Denon DVD player, whether that be the 2200 vs. 2900.

As for the sound, ill try those out later. It was a little surprising to hear the noise, but I will definately get it checked out. I hope its just the DVD.

Also, an unrelated question. With a 10" Velodyne sub (one of the lower end models) and the N804s, what should I set the crossover to on the speakers and the sub? The rears, which are only Mirage RC-2s, I would assume I should set pretty high, like 100ish? And for the fronts, I was going to put the N804s at 60, and the sub at 80. Any thoughts?

Thanks, ill let everyone know how the 1068 turns out later. When will this slow work day ever end?!?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'm not sure why you're getting noise...its only in the menu right? What happens if you select stereo or another DSP for the surround decoding option for those menu's does it go away?

For the cross over point the standard rule is you double the F3 point of your speaker...so if your mains are rated to go down to 32Hz a XO of about 60 would be fine...though there's usually nothing wrong with choosing 80 for movies.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Atorak,
          With a 10" Velodyne sub (one of the lower end models) and the N804s, what should I set the crossover to on the speakers and the sub? The rears, which are only Mirage RC-2s, I would assume I should set pretty high, like 100ish? And for the fronts, I was going to put the N804s at 60, and the sub at 80. Any thoughts?

If you are referring to setting the crossover on you actual Velodyne sub to 80 Hz– the best thing is to let the RSP-1068 control it’s cutover frequency – otherwise you get a mismatch with both the sub and the processor both applying bass filtering at the same or different frequencies – creating a hole or boost in the bass. So if your sub has a LFE setting or input –use that – otherwise make the subs own crossover as high as you can. That way it will equally deal with the 100Hz bass from the rears and the 60 Hz from the front. Of course it is then fine to have the RSP-1068 operate the sub at 80 Hz – if that is what you meant

Geoff

Comment

• eelco74
            • Dec 2002

If you use the rsp-1068 crossover will this still work on the 5.1 ext input ?

This means that when you play a SACD, your sub will go to 120Hz. Beacuse as far as I know the Bass filter of the 1068 does not work in the 5.1 input.

Or have I misread the manual ?

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Atorak
              • Feb 2004

Uh, I guess so Geoff! Heh, sometimes I feel like I am reading Greek, but I hear what you are saying. Basically, turn the Crossover to the highest point on the Sub, and use the 1068 to set the crossover on the sub to whatever I want (say 80)? My dealer told me to set the 804s to 40, and the rears to 80, and the sub to 40. I thought it was a little odd, setting the crossover that low on the sub, but I guess he knows best.

I can see how you shouldnt have overlapping bass, but I always thought a little overlap was a good thing? I was thinking about putting the sub to 60, fronts to 40, and rears to 80. Yeah, I think ill do that.

OH! I forgot! About the 1068, I got a bad processor for Dolby Digital (I assume) on movies. That was the problem. It had to deal with the processing of Digital signals. Rotel has already been contacted, and im getting a new unit in. The dealer gave me his floor demo 1068 to use until it comes.

So, thankfully it wasnt my fault. But he hooked it up to his unit in the store, and it was doing the same exact thing. *phew*

Hope no one else gets a bad unit, but with all those processors, you have to imagine that one might be bad from time to time.

Comment

• dmeister
                • Mar 2004

Atorak, Can you tell me what kind of remote you got with your 1068?

Comment

• Atorak
                  • Feb 2004

RR-1050.

Comment

• LCSeminole
                    • Apr 2003

Gentlemen, now that I know the 1068 is shipping with DPL IIx and that some of you already have it in your racks, does it look like the 1068 on the website with a combination black/silver or can I get it in all black??? I couldn't find that info on the website.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

LCS it comes in both black or silver...at least the other models all did.

Comment

• dmeister
                        • Mar 2004

Would it be wise to wait a month or two before ordering the 1068, or are they shipping pretty much bug-free right now? I know last year, with the 1066, it took them a bit to get things just right...

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"