X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jaynaldo
    • May 2006

Has anyone hoooked up XM to system

Has anyone hooked up the Polk or any XM reciever to your system? if so, what are the pros and cons?
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

I haven't done it yet, but I can't see any cons. It should operate just like any other piece of equipment. Unfortunately, I don't think the XM quality is any better than an mp3 rip, so you may not get CD quality sound from it. But that's a fault of the format, not of the equipment.

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

If you don't mind listening to 32kbps HE-AAC on your hifi then go ahead

Comment

• kurtholz
        • Feb 2005

i tried the polk audio unit, would you like it, pay shipping and $100 it's yours

:-)

junk

but how do you go from SACD, DVD-A and good CD playback to that format

my two cents

Kurt

Comment

• Mark_C.
          • Jan 2003

It has its place. I listen to XM on my HT system through my Directv receiver. It sounds OK is you want music in the background when entertaining or having dinner. Certainly isn't for one who is in the mood to do some serious listening. But it's not horrible as many on the varous AV forums make it out to be.

Comment

• wca156
            • Jun 2005

I agree with Mark C. on this. I have it and when I listen to it in analog mode, it's not bad. Especially when listening to jazz via the WaterColors channel. It's fine when your not doing some serious listening.
            Bill

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

It's also channel dependent. I've listened to a lot of XM and Sirius at customers homes. The stations I think I would listen to sound pretty bad (but they are probably some of the less popular ones).

Kevin D.

Comment

• Jaynaldo
                • May 2006

Thank for all the replies. I guess I"ll hang on to my $200.00. Just plugged in the RDV-1092 and really just started to listening to detail in music. I just thought the Polk's would expand my system.

Comment

• grit
                  • Jan 2005

It's certainly disappointing. I had the same experience as Kevin - sound quality is channel dependent. What it comes down to is that higher quality of sound requires more bandwidth, and not every channel has it.

Recently, I've started seeing adds for HD-radio. Does anyone know what that is? I've got no idea.

Comment

• Boone38
                    • Dec 2004

Janaldo-

I have been waiting for the 1092 to come to my dealer. I was told it will not ship for some time yet. What are your thoughts? Is is the same, better,worse then the 1060?

Is the cd quality as good as the 1072 cd player?

Thanks

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by grit
                      Recently, I've started seeing adds for HD-radio. Does anyone know what that is? I've got no idea.
                      HD-radio is a digital signal over FM. Like HDTV over UHF/VHF. No static, you either get or you don't. Supposedly up to CD quality, but it is bandwidth dependent. Like HDTV, you can have channel .1 be music, .2 be news, .3 be traffic, etc.

You need an FM tuner capable of decoding it and of course a station to broadcast it. Still limited to general FM coverage. The Rotel RT-1084 supports it, but that got pushed so far back it may never come out.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Jaynaldo
                        • May 2006

I just picked the RDV-1092 up on Tuesday(June 31, 2006). I am replacing a Denon 2910. Right off the bat, I noticed a improvement an improvement both in quality in audio and video using component cables. So I gave the HDMI cable a shot. Even better clarity and sharpness. HD looks so awesome on a plasma. I was really impressed with the audio side to which I went out and bought CD's and ordered a couple of DVD-A's over the internet. I also replaced my speaker cables which made everything so much better on the audio side to which I have been listening to music for the past several days. I can imagine some of the 1072 technology trickled down to the 1092 but not for sure. The only reason why I bought the 1092 is to match my Rotel system. IMHO, $1,500 for a DVD player is a bit high especially with HD DVD & Blu-Ray technology is out there. As far as reliability, too soon to tell. For less money,there are probably better DVD players with more thrills and frills. But Rotel is simple, clean, and sharp. The remote is ok nothing fancy. if there is anything else let me know.

Comment

• EAmin
                          • Aug 2004

I agree --- Satellite Radio has it's place in HT/audio rooms. XM has two "high-def" channels offering 5.1 surround with more to come. It will keep getting better as the technology develops.

On another note, I think I've given up hope on the Rotel Sirius unit --- they are taking forever to get this unit out.

Comment

• Cornchips
                            • Nov 2005

XM was dismal...

Had the Polk tuner....gave it away.

Get more sound from Comcast Digital Cable (Music Choice in Dolby 2.0) & from Internet Radio (tuned with Fireball and run through a Cal Audio Labs DAC).

--ksr
                            Don't touch that wire...
                            The touching story of one man and several amplifiers.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"