X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazermike
    • Jul 2003

Master setting on 1068

My buddy was ready to sell his Dunleavy speakers, as they werent giving him what he wanted. He has a 1068 and a really nice Conrad Johnson 200W x 2 amp. He called me up recently and said hed found that the master setting for the front mains made it all come together. I went over for a listen, and hes had many speaker combos the last few years, this was by far the best sound field I have ever heard. He asked the guy he bought it from about the setting, he looked it up in the manual, but there was nothing much about it in there. Any thoughts about it from those that know, would be appriciated. I have a 1066, and want to upgrade to the 1068, just have to find a black one. Thx, Mike
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Are you speaking of the crossover settings? For example, you can set the 'master' crossover to 80Hz for the system (via the Subwoofer Setup menu), which will apply to all speakers. Then you can change the fronts to whatever you like (via the Advanced Speaker Setup menu). If they can go lower, you can select 60Hz, 40Hz, etc.

And yes, this is a very nice feature! I've found this to be a wonderfully flexible processor.
    Brad

Comment

• Audiophiliac
      • Apr 2006

It also allows you to use different crossover points for different sound modes. For instance, you can set the fronts to 40Hz for stereo listening, and 80Hz for Dolby/DTS. The master setting is global and consistent.

Comment

• bleeding ears
        • Nov 2004

I also have found the master setting to be the best option soundwise.

the master setting is in the advanced speaker settings menu and you can choose from either small, master or large.

The subwoofer and speaker crossovers are still adjustable seperately.

How it works exactly ? I am not sure.

It would be nice if the user manual explained things such as this a bit better.

I thought that if you chose small for your front speakers then you would not be able to have your crossover for the fronts set any lower than about 100 or 80, but I am pretty sure you can set it as low as 40hz.

anyone else understand how these different settings and menus all interact ?

As I have said before there are many settings and options to choose from on the 1068 and it can take some time to get the best settings. Possibly months
        It does get a little confusing, but I just use my ears to decide on which settings are best.

Pete

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

Basically when you do the basic speaker setup (small, large, xover, etc) it applies those setting to all sound modes (stereo, Dolby/DTS, etc). In the advanced setup, you can alter these settings for each soundfield. So in Stereo you can tell it to use 40Hz on the fronts, and 80Hz in DTS, and whatever else it allows you to adjust. The Master setting in those menus simply keeps the settings applied in the non-advanced setup.

That may have not made much sense. I havent been in that menu for a while. If I had it in front of me, I could make an easier explanation.

Comment

• bleeding ears
            • Nov 2004

Audiophiliac, I get what you explained just fine, makes sense to me and is exactly what I thought was happening.

I had the main speaker menu set to small and then switched to master on the advanced menu and could not detect any difference. It obviously adopted the setting from the main speaker settings.

The thing I dont get is why you can choose a crossover of 40hz for the mains to the sub when the mains are set to small ?

doesnt this defeat the purpose of choosing the small setting?
            ie low bass is still being sent to small speakers.

Pete

Comment

• photoman
              • Apr 2006

So what would be a good cross over point for B&W speakers or any speaker. Is it really as simple as looking at the spec's for the speaker and choosing that. Say a speaker can go from 38Hz to 22KHz, would a good cross over point be say 38Hz or something a bit higher as not to strain the speakers; although the specs say one thing, my gut tells me that a speaker rated as the example above would strain to do a clean 38Hz. So, would say 50Hz do it, 60, 70, 80. Is there a general rule of thumb to follow? Thanks.

Comment

• Marcel B
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bleeding ears
                Audiophiliac, I get what you explained just fine, makes sense to me and is exactly what I thought was happening.

I had the main speaker menu set to small and then switched to master on the advanced menu and could not detect any difference. It obviously adopted the setting from the main speaker settings.

The thing I dont get is why you can choose a crossover of 40hz for the mains to the sub when the mains are set to small ?

doesnt this defeat the purpose of choosing the small setting?
                ie low bass is still being sent to small speakers.

Pete
                Small means "not full-range"
                Large means "full-range" , so all frequencies go to the speaker

Marcel B

Comment

• bleeding ears
                  • Nov 2004

Photoman, are you using a sub?

If you are using a sub that can take care of the very lowest bass, you wont have to allow the low bass signal to go to your front speakers.

However using the sub may muddy the sound if the sub is too high.

Alternatively if you dont use a sub, I would select the setting that most appeals to you (ie sounds the best.)

I think the only concern would be if you are sending full range sound to small speakers that may not be able to go that low in the bass.

It seems a lot of us use the small setting for the fronts even though they may have large bass capable speakers.

In stereo mode I personally use a crossover on the front speakers of 60hz and set the sub crossover on the menu to 80 hz. (However my speakers are rated down to 31 hz)

It does sound ok with other settings but I find this the best.

Experimentation is best. As I said just pick what sounds best to you.

Pete

Comment

• hifisponge
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by photoman
                    So what would be a good cross over point for B&W speakers or any speaker. Is it really as simple as looking at the spec's for the speaker and choosing that. Say a speaker can go from 38Hz to 22KHz, would a good cross over point be say 38Hz or something a bit higher as not to strain the speakers; although the specs say one thing, my gut tells me that a speaker rated as the example above would strain to do a clean 38Hz. So, would say 50Hz do it, 60, 70, 80. Is there a general rule of thumb to follow? Thanks.
                    The general rule is that your speakers should extend a full octave below the crossover point. So if your crossover point is 80Hz, the speakers should play down to 40Hz.

Comment

• Robert
                      • Jan 2004

DVD Player Settings/Master Settings

If you're using a universal dvd player as your sole playback source, to what extent do the speaker (large vs. small) and subwoofer (cross-over) settings used in the dvd player setup negate or compete against the settings implemented in the RSP-1068 (or RSX-1056)? Would it work the same for stereo vs. bypass mode? When I attempt to tweak settings in the RSP-1068 setup menu, only small vs. large for all speakers makes any discernable difference. All other speaker setup variations and crossover points produce no change that I can hear...and I do have full-range front/right speakers.

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Robert
                        If you're using a universal dvd player as your sole playback source, to what extent do the speaker (large vs. small) and subwoofer (cross-over) settings used in the dvd player setup negate or compete against the settings implemented in the RSP-1068 (or RSX-1056)? Would it work the same for stereo vs. bypass mode? When I attempt to tweak settings in the RSP-1068 setup menu, only small vs. large for all speakers makes any discernable difference. All other speaker setup variations and crossover points produce no change that I can hear...and I do have full-range front/right speakers.
                        The settings inside the DVD player ONLY effect the sound going out the multi-channel outputs. The settings inside the 1068 DO NOT effect any sound coming in the multi-channel inputs. So for the best sound in all possibly scenarios, you need to use both setup menus.

As far as hearing a difference, the large vs small basically enables or disables the crossovers and sub outputs. That's why you can hear it. Changing a crossover 20hz is a very subtle change in the grand scheme of things and can be very hard to hear.

Unless you have a specific need (ie large in stereo only), I would leave everything set to master. Having separate crossovers for each speaker is all ready too much for 90% of the people out there.

Kevin D.

Comment

• oliverlim
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
                          Basically when you do the basic speaker setup (small, large, xover, etc) it applies those setting to all sound modes (stereo, Dolby/DTS, etc). In the advanced setup, you can alter these settings for each soundfield. So in Stereo you can tell it to use 40Hz on the fronts, and 80Hz in DTS, and whatever else it allows you to adjust. The Master setting in those menus simply keeps the settings applied in the non-advanced setup.

That may have not made much sense. I havent been in that menu for a while. If I had it in front of me, I could make an easier explanation.

Hmm, I hvae the 1068 and I do not see a way to adjust the crossover setting for each sound mode. This is what I hvae been trying to ask Rotel to include in their firmware upgrade. that is to use a lower crossover for stereo mode(40 or 60hz) and a higher corssover for DTS/DD (80hz)

Can someone else verify if they are able to do this? I am on the 1.22 version of the firmware already

Oliver

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Oops.

Kevin D.
                            Last edited by Kevin D; 06 June 2006, 08:33 Tuesday.

Comment

• oliverlim
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
                              Go to the speaker settings where you set the large/small and then go to advanced. The crossover setting at the top is 'master' the four sound modes below it all default to this 'master' setting. You can then change those from 'master' to whatever crossover setting you want for each mode.

Kevin D.
                              So if the crossover setting is set to 80hz, master on any of the 4 sound modes would mean 80hz. But what if I want stereo to be at 40hz? the 4 sound modes options are only large and small or none. So I still do not see anyway to set it for Front channel speakers to 80hz for DD/DTS and 40hz for Stereo? Maybe I am misunderstanding something....

Oliver

Comment

• Kevin D
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

Boy that was a big oops.. Sorry, long night.. You're right, it's either the set crossover or none.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                  • Nov 2004

Kev D, since we are talking crossovers etc, perhaps you can clear this up for me.

Why can I choose a crossover (for the fronts) of 40hz when the speaker menu is set to small?

Isnt this a contradiction? ie small setting with 40hz ?

I thought the small setting would limit the range to say about 80hz?

A few have tried to explain this previously but I am not sure that they really understood the question properly.

Thanks Peter

Comment

• Marcel B
                                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bleeding ears
                                    Kev D, since we are talking crossovers etc, perhaps you can clear this up for me.

Why can I choose a crossover (for the fronts) of 40hz when the speaker menu is set to small?

Isnt this a contradiction? ie small setting with 40hz ?

I thought the small setting would limit the range to say about 80hz?

A few have tried to explain this previously but I am not sure that they really understood the question properly.

Thanks Peter
                                    I hope you don't min that I'm not Kev D :lol:

The use of the words "small" and "large" is indeed confusing.

small:
                                    the signal is split in a part that is send to the speaker (eg the center) and another part is send to the subwoofer. In a second step you can choose the frequency below which the signal is send to the subwoofer

large:
                                    the fullrange signal is sent to the speaker.

Next you can independently set the subwoofer in the "SUB SETUP" part of the menu. (that's the name on my 1098 , I think the 1068 uses the same name )

Marcel B

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"