X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Reviewer Formerly Known As Obi
    • Feb 2004

New RMB-1095 on the way...Question

Greetings. I am new to HTGuide, but some of you may know me from other forums.

I am about join the "Rotel club" and I have a question of a technical nature about the amp I am about to add to my system. Actually, a couple of questions...

First, I understand the 1095 has two torroidal transformers. A review from the year 2000 indicates one tranformer is larger than the other with three channels running off the larger one and the remaining two channels on the smaller one.. However, the specs on the Rotel site for the current model indicate each transformer is 1.2 kVA. The questions I have are, 1) has Rotel changed the design of the 1095 with two identical transformers, and 2) what is the channel configuration vis-a-vie the transformers (which channels are wired to which transformer).

These questions lead me to the second part of this, and that is how some of the more experienced Rotel owners might recommend powering my particular set up. For reference, the 5-channel 1095 will be powering only three speakers, the left main, right main, and center speakers in my system. These speakers are B&W Nautilus 804s on either side with the Nautilus HTM1 in the middle.

If I go with what I am calling a basic configuration, that would be utilizing a single channel per speaker. The advantage of this that I can see is using only three of the five channels allows greater current and power reserves for the three channels as well as less load on the amp and thereby less heat generated. If I go this way, I will want to put the center channel on one transformer and the left/right mains on the other.

The second option I am considering is bi-amping the left/right mains. I recognize that bi-amping the 804s with two 200 watt channels each is somewhat overkill, but I do have the channels to spare and my speaker cables are designed to accomodate bi-amping with only minor modification. My concerns here is the use of "Y" adapter interconnects between the controller (Anthem AVM 20) and the amp. I would like to hear any opinions on bi-amping these speakers with this amp, specifically if one feels one way ot the other on the advantages of bi-amping outweighing the disadvantage of less than optimal cabling.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to straining my back trying to get the 1095 into my amp stand .
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I'm not positive on how the 1095 is set up or how amplifiers work, but I know the amp is devided into three sections, center, left front/rear, and right front/rear. This is how the protection cicuits kick in. If you short out the right front, both right channels go out.

With that said, I don't think that one transformer is handles the front three. I seems that all channels will share both. I think you'll get better performance using 4 of the channels to bi-amp your front versus freeing up two to help with power reserves.

Kevin D.

Comment

• The Reviewer Formerly Known As Obi
      • Feb 2004

Thanks, Kevin. I am planning on trying both configurations since I have just about everything I need for bi-amping.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

TRFA Obi welcome to the forum:T

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"