X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RayB
    • Feb 2004

RSP 1066 or 1068

I am new member, but have been reading Club Rotel posts for about 6 months and I was convinced to purchase 1066 and 1075 combo last November. Thank you for all of your help.

I have opportunity to trade up what I paid for 1066 towards a 1068. It seems difficult to justify the upgrade. I need a true up & down conversion for video and it apears from the 1068 manual that is only up converts to component. I not only still have VCR's but I have two monitors in room. I have Sony VPH projector and a 32" Panasonic tube. Both only accept up to S-Video. And there is only one S-video monitor out on 1066. Since this is not solved for me with 1068 and will continue to be an issue in my room, is there any reason a person should spend more for virtually the same functionality. BTW: I paid $1,100 for RSP 1066.

Ray B
    Ray B
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome Ray

That's a tough call.. there are a few other reasons the 1068 is an improvement (see http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...artRow=1&CFB=1 but with the deal that you got and that you feel there isn't any big reason to upgrade I would say it's not a big priority. You'll likely be better off spending that extra money on something else like upgrading sources, displays or cables etc. The final decision though is yours...

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I agree I'd put the money into a more recent projector that can do progressive scan.

Comment

• RayB
        • Feb 2004

Thank you for your input.

I just upgraded from TOL Carver HT Receiver from 1991. (early times of Dolby Pro Logic) to the RSP-1066 because the Carver passed away. RIP

So, it has been a tremendous move forward to take advantage of Digital outputs for my CD, DVD and Xbox. Moved to 7.1 with addition of rear senters. It's also my first departure from a receiver. Even my wife has enjoyed it. I am still in love with my CRT projector and will upgrade to HDTV DLP as soon as one of the tubes burn out. As you can see I don't move very fast on technology but I like to buy the best. I jumped on the Rotel brand because my long time trusted A/V dealer picked up the line. I have been sold on it ever since. I was going to buy Sunfire.

I have been leaning today on keeping the 1066 after reading the 1068 owners manual. I think the main new feature I would take advantage of is the new volume controls. I think they would be handy when creating macros for my Phillips Pronto.

Does anyone think video down conversion (like Yamaha, they have all ways conv) for old technology is possible or will it never be in the future of this level of electronics?

Ray B
        Ray B

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

RayB,

I'm going to give you a contrary opinion.

Net is - If the RSP-1068 sounds close to the RSP-1098 in terms of the step up from the RSP-1066 - Getting one for just the cost difference (presumably around $400 given the $1100 you have paid) will be the biggest single sound quality "bang for the buck" upgrade you will ever make. And since you like to keep compoents for a good long time - you might as well start with the latest and best value.

Have a look here for the comments on another members view.

Many people's jaws have dropped at the extra clarity, detail, soundstage etc for stereo and the fanastic rear and surround sound of the RSP-1098 over the RSP-1066. The RSP-1068 with the same procesor etc should be very very close.

Go listen to a RSP-1068 using the same CD and DVDs speakers and amps as a RSP-1066 (take yours in if you have to) and then decide for yourself.

Besides - when you get that new progressive scan projector people are suggesting - you will really appreciate the RSP-1068's upconversion!

Geoff Costello

Comment

• tombowlus
            • Feb 2004

I currently own the RSP-1066, and am also considering upgrading to the 1068. I saw on the website that the 1068 has an analog pass through for 2-channel, but I cannot confirm nor deny that the 1066 has this feature, which is important to me. Does anyone know if the 1066 also had analog pass through? How about if anyone knows exactly what Rotel means by analog pass through? Doed it bypass the EQ section, and is gain only, or is EQ still in the signal chain? And is the EQ analog or digital?

Thanks, Tom.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The 1068's pass though likely works like it does on the 1098 which means that it bypasses your bass management and EQ settings so its just a gain control. Its very handy as it allows you to set up speakers to small and XO them over to the sub for a proper HT setup but still allow you to use your mains as large for music applications where you so choose.

Comment

• tombowlus
                • Feb 2004

Thanks, Andrew. It sounds like the 1068 is a worthy upgrade for those of us trying to blend a decent 2-channel system in with their HT. Do you (or anyone else) know if Rotel offers an upgrade/exchange program? I can't see anything about it on their website, and my dealer isn't familiar with it, but I have read where it sounds like other people are able to trade in their 1066's for 1068's, and since I have only had my 1066 for six months or so, I was curious if I might be able to do the same. My dealer did think that he would have someone interested in buying my 1066, though. Of course, I'd have to eat somewhat of a loss on it, I am sure.

Thanks again, Tom.

Comment

• RayB
                  • Feb 2004

Thanks for the input Geoff and others. I am still torn. I work with a Geoff from Australia. We call him Gee Off because we have so many Jeff's.

It sounds like the hardware and audio benefits make the upgrade to 1068 worthwhile but it keeps me looking for decent video switching. Does anyone have more than 5 video sources and more than 1 video monitor in the same room. I woudl be interested in hearing how you handle it with your rotel system.

As far as trade up, if you have a good dealer they will work with you I am sure. My dealer (of 12 years) takes good care of me and I bring a lot of business to them. He is allowing me to return it for what I paid. I got a deal (steal) on it for $1,100 USD. I am waiting to hear back from him what my best price on RSP-1068 will be, until then it may be hard to make decision. The future DLP to replace my CRT may be the breaking point in deciding to move up.

Thanks again for all your help. I really enjoy this forum.

Ray B
                  Ray B

Comment

• tombowlus
                    • Feb 2004

It looks like I am not going to get much out of my dealer on an upgrade from the 1066 to the 1068. So, I may have to sell it on my own. Plus, he is telling me that for the money I would spend upgrading it, I might be better served looking at some higher end gear, like Krell or Theta. He happens to have some demo Theta Casa Novas that I could get for not much more than the 1068. Sure, they are only 5.1, but I really don't plan on using 7.1 anyway. But I am concerned about upgradability further on down the road. For 2-channel, the Theta is probably going to sound noticably better than even a 1098. But for HT, any of the Rotel units are probably more flexible.

Chances are, I will just hang onto my 1066 until such time as I have the requisite funds and WAF to make a more significant upgrade.

Tom.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"