X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahcryky
    • Feb 2006

Rmb-1075

I have been lurking around for a month and reading a lot of really informative stuff. I purchased a 1075 but still haven't opened it because I'm a little worried about some of the problems people have been having. I hate having buyers remorse so soon. My amp would be used in the following set-up:
    Denon 3803 pre (for now)
    Paradigm Studio 40's
    Paradigm Studio 570
    And still deciding on surrounds- probably adp-470's
    SVS 20-39

I would just like a couple possible suggestions. If anyone is using a similar set up what their thoughts are. Also I have been looking at a couple other amps, I don't want to compare them to the 1075 because they are "beefier" in the power section, the 1095, Anthem MCA 50, Cinenova, and Aragon 2005 and 3005, but of course are all more money. I just don't want to purchase something and want to feel the need to upgrade right away. It just seems that these choices in amps seem to be getting a little bit more higher praise. The huge saving grace in this whole thing is that I'm confident in the resale value of Rotel which means and says a lot.

Side note- I did buy some cat catalina's, even though I haven't got the chance to hook them up, but Doug was a class act, very patient, informative, and easy to work with. I would not hessitate in recommending cat to anybody for any cable needs. But I'm sure you all know that already.
    Thanks
    Jim
  • greenjudas
    • Mar 2005

As far as I am aware there has never been too many problems with the 1075.There has been quite a lot of people who have had problems with the 1080 and the pre/pros have had their share of problems but I think you should be ok with the 1075.I have had mine for over 12 mths with no probs and highly recommend it.

Comment

• deke
      • Dec 2005

I've had my 1075 for a few years now... never experienced any problems. Most of the "hum" I've been reading about has been w/ the 1080.

Comment

• Tamas
        • Jan 2006

Mine is a week old, sound is wonderful. Enjoy the 1075, and congrats. As far as speakers I would get the 60's and move the 40's to the back as surrounds. And eventually when you move to a dedicated pre/pro you will wonder why it took soooo long.

Regards, Tom

Comment

• ahcryky
          • Feb 2006

Thanks for the replies............. just a novice question here, with the 1075 and my speakers, I've read that the "optimum" watts was 180, that's why I was wondering about maybe a bigger amp for my fronts. Also, with the surrounds if you aren't running a 7.1 would the sound be better with the adp's?
          -jim

Comment

• DelRay
            • Jun 2004

You bought a 1075 but have'nt opened it yet. You have some awesome willpower. I had mine opened on the car ride home. I was even driving. :rofl: BTW, where did you hear that the 1075 was having problems. Mine seems to be working just fine. I think the 1075 will be enough to drive the center and surrounds, in a 7.1. You can always get a bigger 2 channel amp to drive the fronts.

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

I never had a single problem with my 1075, loved it! Upgraded to the 1095 because I upgraded to speakers that needed more power to sound good. I've demoed the Paradigm Studio series, and those Studio 40's will run just fine on a 1075. Someone probably told you the 180 watts number for one of a few reasons : its the max watt rating on the speaker AND it's what the Anthem MCA50 puts out per channel (Anthem and Paradigm are almost the same company).

That being said, I'm sure you read enough now to know that Paradigm's usually sound their best on Anthem amplifiers. That's not to say that other amps don't sound good, just that the sonic characteristics of Anthem's amplifiers most closely matches their own (Paradigm) speakers. Another popular match is B&W with Rotel/Classe. I suspect this is because a company uses it's own amplifiers to test its own speakers and vice versa.

So, I think you have nothing to be concerned about by keeping your Rotel 1075. It should match the power requirements of your system quite well. If you want some extra power available so you can upgrade your front 2 speakers at a later date, you may consider a more powerful amp. Another to consider for 7.1 setups is the Rotel 1077 (it gets AWESOME praise from owners).

Also, the SVS is a sub (or you'll have one)? That helps lighten the load to the speakers, giving your amp less work. Is this setup for home theater, serious music listening, casual music listening, or a combo? I ask because in my experience, HT is less stress on an amp than music.

Comment

• ahcryky
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by DelRay
                You bought a 1075 but have'nt opened it yet. You have some awesome willpower. I had mine opened on the car ride home. I was even driving. :rofl: BTW, where did you hear that the 1075 was having problems. Mine seems to be working just fine. I think the 1075 will be enough to drive the center and surrounds, in a 7.1. You can always get a bigger 2 channel amp to drive the fronts.
                Just a few posts here and on another website forum....... Trust me it has been hard not hooking it up with new speakers just sitting there. There were just a few members that said that they had moved on from rotel because of quality and tech issues with the equipment. I've read a lot about the hum and things being sent back and not fixed.

There are so many different opinions on what sounds good to them, so it's hard to make a judgement just on that. So really I'm just a little cautious because of some of the problems that seem to be coming up about the Rotel systems.

So as I sit here with a unopened box, I'm still not really sure what I want to do. The place where I purchased the amp doesn't have anything that I would be interested in besides Rotel. So that's why I haven't opened it yet, I figure I would be better to trade it or sell it unopened if I wasn't going to keep it.

Comment

• ahcryky
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by grit
                  I never had a single problem with my 1075, loved it! Upgraded to the 1095 because I upgraded to speakers that needed more power to sound good. I've demoed the Paradigm Studio series, and those Studio 40's will run just fine on a 1075. Someone probably told you the 180 watts number for one of a few reasons : its the max watt rating on the speaker AND it's what the Anthem MCA50 puts out per channel (Anthem and Paradigm are almost the same company).

That being said, I'm sure you read enough now to know that Paradigm's usually sound their best on Anthem amplifiers. That's not to say that other amps don't sound good, just that the sonic characteristics of Anthem's amplifiers most closely matches their own (Paradigm) speakers. Another popular match is B&W with Rotel/Classe. I suspect this is because a company uses it's own amplifiers to test its own speakers and vice versa.

So, I think you have nothing to be concerned about by keeping your Rotel 1075. It should match the power requirements of your system quite well. If you want some extra power available so you can upgrade your front 2 speakers at a later date, you may consider a more powerful amp. Another to consider for 7.1 setups is the Rotel 1077 (it gets AWESOME praise from owners).

Also, the SVS is a sub (or you'll have one)? That helps lighten the load to the speakers, giving your amp less work. Is this setup for home theater, serious music listening, casual music listening, or a combo? I ask because in my experience, HT is less stress on an amp than music.
                  Yea I have the SVS. I'm not sure if I understand, if I have a sub then are you saying that with the bass not going to them the watts they see changes? I would say that my listening is about 50/50 music and HT. And when I listen to music, probably just weird, I like listening to it in Pro Logic mode, so music in 2 channel really isn't a concern with me. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Comment

• Tamas
                    • Jan 2006

Hi, I have used ADP350, and found that in my room I did not particular enjoy the sound. I have found that I like the sound of direct radiators. My suggestion earlier was from auditioning both speakers at my local dealer, again I preferred the studio 60, hence my suggestion. In my opinion you will not regret opening the Rotel box.

Sit back and enjoy.

Comment

• ahcryky
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tamas
                      Hi, I have used ADP350, and found that in my room I did not particular enjoy the sound. I have found that I like the sound of direct radiators. My suggestion earlier was from auditioning both speakers at my local dealer, again I preferred the studio 60, hence my suggestion. In my opinion you will not regret opening the Rotel box.

Sit back and enjoy.
                      I was wondering what in particular didn't you like about the adp's. Unless I'm totally lost, which wouldn't be a shocker, the adp is basically 2 studio 20's just firing different directions....... so why would the sound be that much different.

Comment

• Tamas
                        • Jan 2006

It is basically 2 20's put together, however, I like the sound coming at me as opposed to me sitting in the "null" and the sound getting reflected off the wall. Your experience may be different from mine, so take my advice with a grain of salt. My Paradigm dealer had an upgrade program, essentially within a year I could upgrade, trade up, without losing any money, perhaps your dealer has the same program. This way you can make decisions on your speaker options without being "stuck" with your choices.

Comment

• Desotti
                          • May 2005

Don't forget that when you listen to your music in stereo, the 1075 will deliver approx. 2 x 160W RMS in 8ohms and 2 x 260W RMS in 4 ohms, more than enough for most speakers.

Comment

• ahcryky
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Desotti
                            Don't forget that when you listen to your music in stereo, the 1075 will deliver 2 X 160W RMS in 8ohms, more than enough for most speakers.
                            Thanks...... I actually like listening to music in pro logic mode, probably just weird, or it might just be the sound was better coming out of the denon in that mode, so I would have all 5 speakers going.

I don't know if it will help at all if I tell you what I upgraded from...... I was just using the Denon 3803 with paradigm monitor 9's, a cc-370, and bose 301v4's for surround with the SVS20-39. So I'm just trying to get the upgrade right and not have to look back for a while.

Comment

• Slice
                              • Jan 2005

Well, I have Studio 40's, CC470, ADP 470's and a Seismic 10, all paired with RSP-1068 & RMB-1075. I love it. Would I love it more with a more expensive amp? Maybe, but I have no compelling reason to change what I have. I think it's an awesome system. I'm far from an audiophile, but have VERY sensitive hearing, and I've never heard any unexpected noise, but I also don't go turning the volume to 80 with no source selected, trying to hear some hiss either.

A college roomie who's an EE and worked designing power amps for Audio Research was quite impressed by the system for sound reproduction. I can tell you he is very critical and is not easily impressed - he came prepared to not like it. He was surprised himself for how much he liked it. Everybody else who's heard it are absolutely blown away, including me every time I listen to it.

My room is only 13' x 14' with an open side, but the speakers are placed exactly to recommendations relative to the listening position (my chair), levels are calibrated, and the soundfield is as seamless as it can be for my room. My tape measure has earned it's keep!

I'd say if you ever plan to upgrade to, say, Studio 100's & keep the CC570, go for more power. Otherwise, I predict you'll love it, as long as you don't make yourself crazy by always wondering "What if?". If you do that, you'll never be happy with any setup; this kind of thinking seems to be the norm on these boards.

As far as the dipole vs. direct surrounds, I'd say it'll sort itself out if you can demo both types in your room. I love mine, and like how they throw the sound around the back, instead of aiming it at my head.

If it were me, I'd either change to the CC470 which is designed to match the timbre of 40's, or go to Studio 100's to go with the CC570. When I auditioned Studio 60's, I actually preferred the sound of the 40's. You also might want to demo the Seismic subs against an SVS, just for kicks. If you do this, let me know what you think.

BTW, the demos I use are "Master & Commander" & "Black Hawk Down" (Superbit), "Concert For George", and Bob Marley's "Legend" & Alison Krauss' "Now That I've Found You".

My $0.35

(did I mention I love my system? 8) )
                              - Slice

Comment

• comeup
                                • Jul 2005

I've Had one for about three or four years now and I've never had any problems. Upgraded to a bigger amp because of speakers but the 1075 is still part of my setup. You can't go wrong for the money great amp.
                                Blake

Comment

• pmenasce
                                  • Jan 2006

I've had a 1075 for a bit over two years now and it's performed flawlessly. It's running my center (Paradigm CC170) and bi-amping my mains (Paradigm Monitor 7s). The sound is excellent in my listening environment. I've also got an RSP-1068 pre-pro which has a few trivial issues which I know will be resolved when I finally get around to flashing the firmware.

Overall I have nothing but good things to say about my Rotel gear. Now quit worrying and get that bad-boy wired into your system and start enjoying your new toy!!
                                  Best regards ...
                                  Peter

Comment

• ahcryky
                                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Slice
                                    Well, I have Studio 40's, CC470, ADP 470's and a Seismic 10, all paired with RSP-1068 & RMB-1075. I love it. Would I love it more with a more expensive amp? Maybe, but I have no compelling reason to change what I have. I think it's an awesome system. I'm far from an audiophile, but have VERY sensitive hearing, and I've never heard any unexpected noise, but I also don't go turning the volume to 80 with no source selected, trying to hear some hiss either.

A college roomie who's an EE and worked designing power amps for Audio Research was quite impressed by the system for sound reproduction. I can tell you he is very critical and is not easily impressed - he came prepared to not like it. He was surprised himself for how much he liked it. Everybody else who's heard it are absolutely blown away, including me every time I listen to it.

My room is only 13' x 14' with an open side, but the speakers are placed exactly to recommendations relative to the listening position (my chair), levels are calibrated, and the soundfield is as seamless as it can be for my room. My tape measure has earned it's keep!

I'd say if you ever plan to upgrade to, say, Studio 100's & keep the CC570, go for more power. Otherwise, I predict you'll love it, as long as you don't make yourself crazy by always wondering "What if?". If you do that, you'll never be happy with any setup; this kind of thinking seems to be the norm on these boards.

As far as the dipole vs. direct surrounds, I'd say it'll sort itself out if you can demo both types in your room. I love mine, and like how they throw the sound around the back, instead of aiming it at my head.

If it were me, I'd either change to the CC470 which is designed to match the timbre of 40's, or go to Studio 100's to go with the CC570. When I auditioned Studio 60's, I actually preferred the sound of the 40's. You also might want to demo the Seismic subs against an SVS, just for kicks. If you do this, let me know what you think.

BTW, the demos I use are "Master & Commander" & "Black Hawk Down" (Superbit), "Concert For George", and Bob Marley's "Legend" & Alison Krauss' "Now That I've Found You".

My $0.35

(did I mention I love my system? 8) )
                                    Thanks, makes me feel a little more confident with someone who has similar setup to what I have and what their experiences are with it. I'm not into totally cranking my stuff either, but I thought people were saying that they were hearing a hum or hiss with the volume down.

You are so right on the reading posts and I'm at the "what if" part of my upgrade. I went with the 40's because I didn't feel I needed the extra bass from the 60's. And for me it seemed like there was a little more in the midrange in the 40's, to my ears anyway. If I didn't have a sub the 100's probably would've been a consideration, but it seems like overkill. I actually listened to a setup in the store with a Denon 4806, 40's, cc470, and the seismic, and I asked if the sub was on, and was told it was, so, for me it was lacking. I was watching the Alice In Chains Unplugged DVD which I like bringing for auditioning, and that sub just didn't do it for me. I didn't get to audition the 570 with the 40's so I can't say for sure, but I really did like the 570 with what I heard with them.

Comment

• ahcryky
                                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by comeup
                                      I've Had one for about three or four years now and I've never had any problems. Upgraded to a bigger amp because of speakers but the 1075 is still part of my setup. You can't go wrong for the money great amp.
                                      I was just wondering what the amp is running.

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

The 1075 should be no cause for concern. Quit worrying so much and enjoy the damn thing! :P
                                        Jason

Comment

• greenjudas
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                                          The 1075 should be no cause for concern. Quit worrying so much and enjoy the damn thing! :P

I agree!! :T

Comment

• ahcryky
                                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by greenjudas
                                            I agree!! :T
                                            So if something goes wrong with it I can bring it to either of you right?...............
                                            It's not that I don't think that I'll be happy or enjoy my system, I'm just trying to find some Rotel users that have similar systems and their experience. And I've only been here a month and have read some posts as to people moving on to other equipment, and having some tech and quality control issues. I can listen to salesman all day long praising what they sell and make it sound unbeatable, but I would rather find out from actual consumers of the product.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                              • Nov 2004

The 1075 has had the LEAST problems out of any of the Rotel products...

If you had bought the 1080 with it's fuse problem, or the 1095 with the ground loop hum issue that it more commonly has...then I could understand.

But you are waisting your time to actually demo the unit in your house by asking questions instead of finding out for yourself how the unit works. Wherever you bought it should have at least a 7 day return policy, if not a 30 or better.

So I say quit wasting your time while you still CAN return it.

...and even if you can't return it and don't like it, you can still sell it for close to 80-90% of it's value.
                                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                              -Dan

Comment

• greenjudas
                                                • Mar 2005

[QUOTE=ahcryky]So if something goes wrong with it I can bring it to either of you right?...............

I guess a few of us are scratching our heads in regards to what you are telling us......You search these forums and read up on the 1075,you think it is a great piece of gear and so you buy it.You get it home and leave it in the box and then start asking questions instead of hooking it up and seeing for yourself??
                                                I've scratched so much ,I'm making a hole :rofl:

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jan 2006

Well ......

I'm in the process of a major upgrade and have decided to keep my existing RMB-1075 to power my B&W N804's (which I'll be using as rears). I'm getting a Krell to power my front end (B&W 803D's + HTM2D). The point is that I'll walk 1000 miles barefeet through the desert before I give up my RMB-1075. Great amp at a great price IMHO :T

Comment

• ahcryky
                                                    • Feb 2006

I guess a few of us are scratching our heads in regards to what you are telling us......You search these forums and read up on the 1075,you think it is a great piece of gear and so you buy it.You get it home and leave it in the box and then start asking questions instead of hooking it up and seeing for yourself??
                                                    I've scratched so much ,I'm making a hole :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Well then I have done what I came here to do....... confuse everyone..........

In simpliest terms, I was just looking for any feedback on similar systems with the 1075 and what they thought of it. If with my system I should look for a more beefier amp since I was told that my speakers should be seeing 180 watts for optimum performance, which "grit" explained why someone might tell me that. And with some of the issues that some other users were having I thought it would be better if I did a little more digging before I actually opened the box. It's me just being over cautious.

Comment

• DL86
                                                      • Sep 2005

The watt rating is rubish. I'm running studio 100 v3's with an rb-1080. rb-1080 = 200w, studio 100v3 = 350w. I never feel the need for more power. Yes an rb-1090 will be a better match, but I am in no way complaining about the sound with the rb-1080. Volume wise the rb-1080 will drive my speakers louder than what I usually listen, which is VERY loud. Maby if you got a really big room you will have benefit of a more powerful amplifier. Again im driving the studio 100v3's with an amplifier nearly half the optimum power rating which has exceeded my expectations.

Comment

• Martinf
                                                        • Oct 2003

I'll add my 2 cents. I've had the RMB-1075 for just over two years now. It has been flawless througout. Absolutely transparent. No hum. No pops etc. Dead silent when music is not playing. And collossal muscle when driven hard, and barely gets warm.

In my system it drives all five speakers, and I use it mainly for high-resolution DVD-A music playback. Also very good in stereo.
                                                        I'll be back!

Comment

• aud19
                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Martinf
                                                          I'll add my 2 cents. I've had the RMB-1075 for just over two years now. It has been flawless througout. Absolutely transparent. No hum. No pops etc. Dead silent when music is not playing. And collossal muscle when driven hard, and barely gets warm.

In my system it drives all five speakers, and I use it mainly for high-resolution DVD-A music playback. Also very good in stereo.
                                                          Ditto. I'm running large'ish Energy C9's, C5's and a CC3 with no problems and lots of power for around 3 years now. GREAT amp for the price.

Now ahcryky, $hit or get off the pot :lol:
                                                          Jason

Comment

• IntegrateMe
                                                            • May 2004

RMB-1075 here, running a CC-570 Center, Signature S4's and Studio 20 rears.

No problems here!

Comment

• grit
                                                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ahcryky
                                                              Yea I have the SVS. I'm not sure if I understand, if I have a sub then are you saying that with the bass not going to them the watts they see changes? I would say that my listening is about 50/50 music and HT. And when I listen to music, probably just weird, I like listening to it in Pro Logic mode, so music in 2 channel really isn't a concern with me. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
                                                              What I meant was that full range audio puts more of a load on an amp than if you cut part of it out. With a sub, you are crossing over the lower part of the audio spectrum (say at 80 Hz), and sending it to the sub. The amp no longer has to worry about that part, thus freeing up a portion of the work load.

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"