X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

controling equipment from computer

I seem to remember reading that you can control your rotel equipment from a computer. Can anyone recomend what software to use? anyone have a positive experience with this?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Someone wrote some software to control the first run of 10 series processors. He never updated it to support the newer line. He did have the source code available if you know how to code Turbo Pascal.

You could probably use something like Girder to control it, but it might not support feedback.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Thank You for the reply. Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least I know the answer now

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

How does this play against those custom "all-in-one" remotes that you program via computer? What interface do they use to connect to the pre-pro? Could there be some nexus there, where the software used to program those remotes is used to control the equipment?

BTW, can anyone post the name of the company that makes those remotes, and perhaps a link? I just remember the cost being $500+, and the screen was color, and could hold custom color icons.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

You're probably thinking of the Phillips Pronto's. Several models ranging from $300-800 for color vs b&w. Those are programmed via a computer, but in function they are still an IR remote. Think of it as making a webpage, you create how they look and include what links you want (IR codes).

Now I've got an AMX system, which is a full blown automation system. My touchpanels and remotes talk to AMX and AMX talks to my equipment. I get full feedback from my 1098, which I can then use to trigger other events. IE, my fans change speeds based on how loud the volume is, my bass shakers turn on/off based on what surround mode or input I'm on, etc.. You could get a functional AMX system on ebay for $1-2k, but the programming is like C++ and not something you can just play around with like the Pronto's.

Kevin D.

Comment

• PiDD
            • Aug 2003

Girder will control it perfectly with 2 way communication. I use Xlobby for a front end with girder smarts behind it. Nice part is that Xlobby has a pocket pc component. If your pocket pc is wireless that gives you a 802.11x remote control! You can select songs and adjust the volume from your neighbors house. Also when you turn the volume knob you can have an OSD showing the input and vol on a computer screen.

The biggest learning curve is Girder but if you have a 1098 or 1068 most of the work has been done.

Have a look at Girder and if you are willing to dig into it I can send you my config files.

Rob

Comment

• IntegrateMe
              • May 2004

If you know someone who can program Crestron, you can get a pocket PC license and a QM-RMC processor for under $1000 (assuming you bring your own Pocket PC).

This provides full feedback with minimal work for the programmer.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"