X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orange Peel
    • Nov 2004

Rotel DVD player vs others??

Ok, I'm thinking of changing out the DVD player, currently we are using a Denon DVD 1600, great picture, just want more out of the player.

I'm using a Mits WS-65869 65" CRT set, I love the thing, I would like to have a projector, etc, but it won't work in this house. So if the new player was upconverting, it wouldn't do me any good as my set only takes component, no DVI/HDMI, and the RSP-1098 doesn't pass HDMI anyways.

What would you guys think the best player to go with would be? I was leaning at the Denon 2910 or 3910, I like the looks of the Rotel RDV-1060, but not sure if it's up to snuff with the other players out there. Also looking at the Pioneer Elite stuff, I have always liked their players.

What's your take?

I'm trying my best not to get a RCD-1072 as I want to save money, but if the new player would be better at playing CD's than the 1600 I got now that wouldn't hurt

Thanks guys!!
    Scott Goldsmith
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Well what kind of "features" are you looking for that the 1600 doesn't do? I mean the 2910 would be a worthy upgrade if you are looking for a better picture & sound, some more features, and better CD playback. The Pioneer Elite stuff is really good in all those respects as well.

Since you don't have HDMI, then you really probably don't need to worry a whole lot about the upconverting (for the moment)... and since things will only get better in that respect...it's not worth putting out the money otherwise.

To be honest, I'd say stick with what you have, get a nice CD player for yourself which will dramatically improve your music listening...and be happy with that. Then once the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players come out, then you'll have the money towards that...

Right now you're getting close to the point where buying a new DVD player can start to seem like a waste with the new stuff coming out. Course you might not jump right on it and it could be a couple years before it's all mainstream...

Decisions...Decisions...

If you are looking for a CD player that is pretty darn close to the 1072, there are a couple out there that are a few less $$.

Let us know what it is your looking for to improve and I think we can all better help you think it through!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Orange Peel
      • Nov 2004

Well one option is a quicker tray, the 1600 tray speed sucks, slow opening, closing, etc. Another would be better sound, and picture, I'm "satisfied" with the 1600, but would like more. Maybe some SACD capability as well, but if I went with a 1072 it wouldn't need it I assume?

If it upconverted it would be nice, since I WILL get a new display some day. Maybe I just got a damn bug up my butt right now for new stuff But if it's truley not worth upgrading over the 1600 then I won't. I KNOW the 1600 is awesome, and people love them, but just some things bug me I also wouldn't mind a player with more cache to avoid the layer change so much, I NOTICE it with the 1600 everytime.
      Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• kurtholz
        • Feb 2005

i think the Denon5910 would be a knockout, the arcam dv29 i use is most certainly a very good player, it blew my Rotel 1060 out of the water, of course it's 3 times the cost, but much better piece, with hdmi, which you think you wont need, but upgraditis spreads fast, and flat panels keep getting cheaper and cheaper

now, of course, Krell and classse both make a player and the Shanling has to be a great one, who cares what it sounds like , just look at it

hahaha

but, we are getting up there in price

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• DL86
          • Sep 2005

[QUOTE I'd say stick with what you have, get a nice CD player for yourself which will dramatically improve your music listening...and be happy with that. Then once the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players come out, then you'll have the money towards that...
          ]
          Thats exactly what im planning to do. Get a Rotel RCD-1072 now and wait until the new players come out that will support all the new upcomming formats. For now a marantz dv6400 is doing a fine job.

Comment

• moe32274
            • Nov 2005

I'm going with the Oppo for DVD and Rotel for CD playback. Knockout video and knockout audio for less than 1000 clams.

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

I too think that at this point in time that a modest CD player with a RCD 1072 for redbook makes the most sense. Then once the DVD palyer gets upgraded, you'll always have a good CD player. Besides, even though they work fine, if you play a lot of CD's the DVD player is not as convenient...longer load times, and navigating and features can be a little cumbersome. You also have to spend a good deal of money to equal the 1072 rebook performance in a DVD player.

Comment

• Orange Peel
                • Nov 2004

Thanks for the help guys, I think I will just snag a 1072 and wait till the new formats are all set and I get a new display. I was just pretty dissapointed with CD listening with the 1600 is all.
                Scott Goldsmith

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"