X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

RC1070 build?

Just wondering, does the RC1070 have a toroidial transformer? It seems pretty hefty and it feels like it might have one... Does having a toroidial transformer in the preamp = a good thing?

If it does have one, what does the transformer actually do to the initial source signal? I know it brings it up from the mW range to a few watts and then sends the analog signal to the amplifier for further amplification.... is this remotely right?
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)
  • Ossi
    • Jul 2003

This is not about only one part of a whole in a component.
    The RC1070 is at his price point quite ok. However why not open the cover and compare the inside with a RC 995 or RC 1090. More parts do not mean automatically better sound, but in this case you can clearly see where the difference comes from.
    If you are into a good pre from Rotel, better get a RC1090 or a used RC995.
    I hope they will make a replacement for the RC1090.

Comment

• Taito
      • Sep 2004

Hi Joey,

The RC-1070 does have a toroidal transformer. This transformer is in the power supply, not the signal path. A torroidal transformer typically produces a lesser stay magnetic field than a 'conventional' transformer. This is a good thing.

Most of the inputs are line-level (CD, AUX, TAPE etc.). This means that the voltage input will have a max of about 2V RMS. This will rarely (if ever) require further amplification, but rather attenuation, so that a lower voltage signal is fed to your power amplifier. The phono input does amplify the signal and equalise it. This is because the cartridge on a record player produces a small (relative to line-level) voltage.

The power amplifier will further amplify the voltage that it receives, but the main requirement of a power amplifier is that it be able to supply the required current (dependent on and varies with voltage and speaker impedace (varies with frequency) ) to the speaker.

Hope you find this helpful,
      Ben

Comment

• Joey_V
        • Jul 2005

Thanks Ben! That was helpful! :T
        Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
        Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• abqnmusa
          • Jan 2006

I owned the RC1070 and RB-1080 powering B&W 804's. Was not happy with the sound at higher volumes. Later tested RC-1090 on same system with XLR connection between 1090 & 1080. It does the trick with clean sound at even high volumes. Yes, it costs more but has been reliable and solved my sound issues.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"