X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluesfan
    • Nov 2005

What does 48k mean?

When playing the source from my dvd player I get 48k on the front panel and with any sound mode selected. It is connected via coax.

What does 48k mean?
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

It's the bitrate of the digital signal being sent from the dvd player into your processor/receiver. PCM can be 44.1, 48, or 96.

Is your dvd player set up to send Dolby Digital and/or DTS bitstreams unaltered to your receiver? You may want to check.

Comment

• mickster1972
      • Feb 2005

Somewhat related to this, is it possible to get a Dish PVR model 921 (or any other satellite receiver) to spit out anything other than a 48K PCM bitstream? If so, what configuration should I be looking for in the setup menu? I would very much like to listen to the audio only satellite channels in 44.1K. It seems to me there is better imaging when I play my regular CDs through the Rotel (which shows the 44.1K sampling rate) when the sound is sampled at 44.1K versus the same music played through a satellite radio station like sirius. Thanks.
      "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

The Dish can only output 48khz, but thats not the difference that makes CD's sound better. It's the fact that CD's just sound better. Sirrius sounds bad enough through a Sirius tuner, it's killed by the time it goes through the compression Dish puts on it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

Ditto on what Kevin said. I use to have XMRadio, and I can tell you that most of the sound is compressed, probably to save on bandwidth. It would seem their philosophy is quantity over quality. Unfortunatey, high end audio people such as ourselves probably make up a very small percentage of their subscribers, so I'd not expect any changes soon.

However, I am curious to see what Rotel accomplishes (if anything's possible) with their upcoming Sirius/FM tuner.

Comment

• mickster1972
            • Feb 2005

That makes sense, Kevin. Thanks. Do you happen to know what compression scheme Dish uses to wreck, I mean deliver, the audio channels?

Are any other satellite-based or internet-based content providers sending out uncompressed or lossless audio?

Maybe I should just buy or build an HTPC/audio server...
            "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

I believe they use Dolby Digital for their audio compression.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"