X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vicente
    • May 2004

1056 loosing configuration

About a month ago I was using my HT and there was a power shortage for about two hours.

When I turned on the system again the rsx 1056 had lost all the configuration settings.

I communicated the problem to my dealer and he told me that this happens only when you have your system on and the power goes out for a long period of time, but no problem.

He came home and did all the setup again: loudspeakers delay and calibration, sources adjusting, etc...

Last week I went off home and on the weekend when I came back and tried to use the equipment, it had lost the configuration again. The 1056 had been in standby (blue led on, power button off) and checked with other equipment (the analog timer I use to run the swimming pool) there had not been long time power shortages (I don't know if there was any very short blackout).

My dealer told me to take the 1056 to the shop to see what the problem is, but before doing this (huff, pulling out all the cables and on again is a pain in the ....) I would appreciate if any of you can give an easier solution to this problem and why had it happened.

Regards. Vicente
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Nope. If the chip is losing settings, there's some kinda problem with the ROM chip on which they're stored that'll probably require a replacement. Sorry, wish I had better news.

Comment

• Vicente
      • May 2004

Thanks Grit, someone told me that there could be a battery somewhere that keeps the eprom active.

Or maybe with an eprom actualization?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

That's actually normal from what I've seen. It's quick power fluctuations that cause the problem, not extended outages. Any of the units that we've had do this were fixed with a small battery backup just runing the receiver.

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

wow, I'm surprised they'd use a battery backup in the system without making it user-serviceable. Still, good to know (that'll keep costs down!)

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

It's not a problem with the memory settings. The quick power glitches cause the eeprom to default. The same receiver that loses it's mind in a glitch will be fine for weeks without power. I've actually never seen one need a battery inside the unit, which leads me to believe that the settings are hard saved to the eeprom.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Vicente
              • May 2004

Sorry, Kevin and Grit, but I'm a little bit confused. Maybe my English or my tech knowledge are not so good so I don't understand what you are saying (fixed with a small battery backup just running the receiver)

¿Is there a battery someplace I can change myself?

Another question is that I had at home many short power outages since I own the 1056 (April '04) and never happened this before. Could the long power outage from a month ago have damaged something that should be fixed?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• grit
                • Jan 2005

There are two possibilities -

1) There is a battery that powers the chip that saves the settings. The problem is that battery is dead and needs to be replaced.

OR

2) The chip that stores the information is damaged and needs to be replaced.

In either case, I would take it to an authorized Rotel dealer who can repair it or ship it to Rotel to have it repaired so that you do not possibly void your warranty.

Sorry for the earlier confusion.

I don't know the answer. Kevin believes #1 is correct, and he's got more knowledge than I do about this.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Sorry for the language confusion (after re-reading it, it's also confusing if English is your native language!)

1) I do NOT believe that the EEPROM is backed up by a small battery (like a watch battery)

2) I do NOT believe anything is broken with you receiver. Every Rotel receiver we've sold has done the same thing at least once before)

3) By a 'small battery backup' I was referring to a UPS (uninteruptable power supply). Like this one: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...sku=BF350%2DIT

4) It the quick surges that default the EEPROM. Doesn't have a pattern to it, it will just sometimes default. The above UPS will keep the entire receiver powered up through these quick glitches.

Hope that is easier to follow,

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
                    • Jan 2005

DOH! Sorry for mis-representing your comment Kev!

Comment

• Vicente
                      • May 2004

Thanks Kevin and Grit for your kind and fast response.

I will follow your indications:

1.- Send the receiver to my Rotel dealer.

2.- Find a battery backup. The one you recommend seems to be perfect as it also protect the system from overloads. I already talked to the representative in Madrid and he told me where to get it in my area.

For large power outages do you know for how long will the settings be maintained ?

For long periods of time I don't use the unit (i.e. vacation), can I turn off completely the receiver (rear switch off)? Will it maintain the configuration?

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

I didn't have power at my house for almost two weeks after Katrina hit. My Rotel came back on with all it's settings intact. If my theory that they do not use internal batteries, the settings should last forever.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"