Is Rotel RMB 1095 amp really 5 x 200 Watt ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Is Rotel RMB 1095 amp really 5 x 200 Watt ?

Hi guys and gals,

Having had quite a bit of time on my hands waiting patiently for my brand new RSP 1068 to arrive, (1st one was dead on arrival) I was reading over my Rotel brochure and noticed the RMB 1095 is rated at 5 x 200 watts. (which equals 1000 watts)

I then looked down further and saw that its power consumption is only 800 watts. This doesnt add up

I also see that the RMB 1075 consumes 800 watts, but puts out 5 x 120
    ( equals 600 watts) which to me is more believeable than the 1095.

So how is it that the 1095 can put out more wattage than goes in?

Is this a misprint in the brochure?

How can this be?

Is this an honest power output rating?

Any 1095 owners know anything?

Thanks
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Its consumption is 1.2 kw. The 5 x 200 is quite honest, especially when you compare it to many mainstream manufacturers. Sorry to hear about the doa 1068, its a gem for the money. Enjoy the new one when it arrives.

Comment

• bleeding ears
      • Nov 2004

Aah! I see, must be a misprint in my brochure.

Thought I had discovered a scandal! LOL

thanks

Comment

• weijst
        • Jun 2004

Uh, well I saw a RMB-1095 once which stated a power consumption of 800 watts on the back too (which was one of the reasons why the sales rep had me ending up with a RMB-1075). Must have been a misprint there too then...
        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Taito
          • Sep 2004

I believe this was covered in an earlier thread. It shouldn't be too hard to find using the search tool. The issue generated quite a lot of confusion last time round.
          -Ben

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

There it is.. Skimming through it there's a couple of things. The rating of 800watts is average consumption. Since you will never have a situation of all channels driven at full volume, they figured average consumption was a better measure.

You can also look at my post in there how output power CAN exceed input power. In a nutshell, consuming 1200watts for a long period of time can produce over 1200watts for a short period of time. This explains how the 1095 can produce 1650watts (330x5 @ 4ohm), for a short burst.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bleeding ears
              • Nov 2004

Thanks guys, I read the older threat on this issue,thanks Kev, obviously I am a bit late with my original question.

I must say however that it seems like an important matter for Rotel to get right.

Anyone buying the RMB1095 would likely be pretty seriously into their facts, figures and performace of their HT/Stereo gear and would check the power consumption closely before buying.

I wonder if many sales have been lost due to the rating of 800 watts instead of 1200 watts.

I am not even buying one (yet) but I was horrified at the thought that Rotel may be over rating power output, which turns out to not be the case.

I wonder how many others have had doubts about what the power output is because of the 800 watt consumption written on the back of the units or in the specs.

Lastly I would rather buy a 1095 with the correct data as resale value would be most likely affected by this error, but having said that I could not see very many owners ever selling this awesome amp.

Thanks guys :T

Comment

• lvhung
                • Jun 2005

what is Speacifications tell you about is not important
                Let go to somes shop and have some listening to find out which is suit for yoyr require

Comment

• Marlboroman
                  • Aug 2005

They have to make a decision on how many different specs they want. Something like power consumption, while it seems cut and dry, is not at all. They could give you max power consumption at rated max output, power consumption at idle, power consumption at 50 watts per channel, etc... The only thing that was confusing was that they did not label it as average power consumption. The 800 watts is the average though and that is what the normal consumer wants to know.

Comment

• Legairre
                    • Jan 2002

If you ever doubt the 1095 really makes 5X200 all channels driven just read the review done by Audio Magazine. The other reviews are great but Audio Magazine really tested the heck out of it and found it to make way more than it 200x5 with all channels driven. http://www.rotel.com/reviews/reviews_rmb1095.html. The .pdf version is great because it shows all the graphs plotting the power curves.
                    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                    Radden Home Theater

Comment

• bleeding ears
                      • Nov 2004

Ok, then I guess an average power consumption is fine to quote rather than a max, but why dont they quote an average on the other amps such as the 1075?

Is there some reason why the average consumption is quoted for the 1095 which doesnt apply to the 1075 or other amps?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

Bleeding Ears,

In fact Rotel even quotes the aveage power consumption for many of their other amps... For example the RMB-1075 can pout out a very heatlhy 5 x 200W into 4 Ohms (ie 1000W) but most models quote 600W on the back...

The reviews show that Rotel amps ALL put out more power than their rated power... Rotel are just conservative on their power ratings and specs on the back. Of course in reality NO music source will drive all the channels at once to the rated power - so your RMB-1095 is likely to draw 100W to 200W while running with short peaks of 500+ on very lound bass etc.

So enjoy and stop worrying baout the specifications....

Geoff

Comment

• DrJRapp
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by bleeding ears
                          Ok, then I guess an average power consumption is fine to quote rather than a max, but why dont they quote an average on the other amps such as the 1075?

Is there some reason why the average consumption is quoted for the 1095 which doesnt apply to the 1075 or other amps?
                          I think that's likely something found on newer amps. The 1077 quotes average power consumption. Probably, the change is either due to a change in philosophy on the part of Rotel on how to specify power consumption or a change in requirements of one of the electrical compliance organizations (UL, etc). I definitly don't think it is anyhing that we should be concerned with.
                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Power consumed does not equal power put out. Amps don't work that way. That's why there's huge capacitors inside of it. Basically, it draws a large amount of power, filters it, and outputs it accordingly.
                            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• bleeding ears
                              • Nov 2004

Thanks guys for clearing up any misunderstandings I may have had or doubts about rotel's power output. I am now very reassured that rotel amps can well and truely deliver the goods.

One of the reasons I had questioned power ratings is that I own a Sony TAN9000ES 5 channel power amp with a claimed output of 5x 115 watts or in 2 channel mode bridged it has a claimed output of 2 x 210 watts.

The only problem here is that the power consumption on the back states 400 watts. Some of their output ratings quoted in the user manual have DIN written next to the figure. EG 210 watts DIN.

These things make me doubt the claimed ouput of the amp.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about what the output might really be or what DIN means?

Thanks Pete

Comment

• Marcel B
                                • Nov 2004

was the first hit when I googled "DIN Power rating"

my comment:
                                DIN 45500 was the test to decide if something was allowed to be called Hifi. But it's outdated and any cheap (transistor) amplifier will meet it.Decide with your ears.

In general DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm) is like ISO or ASTM a standard for test methods for all kind of measurements and products; DIN is the german standard.

Marcel B

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"