X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Somthame
    • Mar 2004

Micro Mania

Hello! I'm a relative newcomer to the club. As a Rotel products user, however, I have often read the threads posted here by fellow members in order to find solutions to my various audio concerns. In addition, I have found the posts here to informative and helpful. Of late, I find Microfast's "parts up-grade" expose to be quite interesting. Personally, I would have neither the skill nor the "guts" to perform surgery on the innards of a $3,000 piece of electronic gear for purposes of experimentation but I highly commend him on his efforts. The findings of his work may do much to further educate the members of this forum. Which brings me to the point of this particular thread.
    I will soon be in the market for a better HT processor. At present, I own a RSP-1066 which I consider to be one of the best buys ever for its quality, versatility, and affordability. Over the years, I have owned a couple of other $1500 HT processors (Acurus and Adcom) and, although I think that the Rotel is, by far, the best sounding of the three, in the sonic areas of detail and imaging, they all performed pretty much at the same level. I have even heard some critics comment that $1500 processors do not vary that much in sonic performance. But it made me wonder that If Rotel could accomplish what they did with the 1066 for a $1500 price-tag, what kinds of sonic improvements could they have achieved for a meer $500 more? This is the reason that I find Microfast's experiments so enlightening. If I'm going to purchase a $3000 processor, I would like to know that I'm getting my money's worth. In my opinion the additional TFT monitor probably boosts the price of the 1098 considerably. This is money that, otherwise, could have been spent on better parts which would have resulted in an even better sounding pre-pro. ala Microfast's findings, or maybe better still, with the TFT's exclusion, could have lowered the price. In spite of its positive press, several high-end dealers where I live who sell Rotel products and like the 1098, in particular, have told me that they consider it to be over-priced and for the money, there are better processors to be had. My auditions over the past weeks have further convinced me that this notion is not far-fetched. Now don't get me wrong! Rotel is a great company which makes great products. But they may have somewhat missed the mark in their marketing of the 1098. I think they could have produced and sold it at a far more affordable and competitive price than they are presently doing or taken measures, i.e. better parts, to have made it even better. So far, this is what I am starting to interpret from Microfast's experiments and I cannot help but to wonder that in regards to the RSP-1098 are we spending more but, in reality, really getting a lot less? Just my opinion. I welcome you feedback.
  • Aeromos
    • Jun 2003

I have to agree here. Would-be buyers could have saved money if Rotel chose not to add the screen. I have to wonder though if they did this, to try and entice those buying products from other companies that have a screen that are far more expensive. Perhaps Rotel is also marketing the 1098 to those willing to spend thousands more to show them the value that the 1098 has.

Mind you, if I had the money or saw the 1098 for a bargain I would probably not hesitate to buy it.

Aeromos
    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
    My Collection
    Aeromos
    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
    My Collection

Comment

• Adz
      • Jan 2004

This is a very fair and interesting point. There are several actual companies out there that perform modifications mostly on DVD/CD and receiver components. If I could do it all over, I would have bought the 1068 and put an additional $1,000 or so to have it modded. The extra $500 left over I could have put in my pocket or upgraded somewhere else. The $1,000 dollars of upgrade to a processor like the Rotel could turn it into a supermachine with the potential to sound as good as the very very top of the line processors costing several thousands more. Of course, this is all just speculation on my part because I don't know if this could be done for a $1,000-1,500 and then what it would actually sound like, but if the DVD/CD player mods are any indication which are in that cost range, then LOOK OUT!! For instance, there is a company called ReferenceAudioMods - check out the upgrade on the Marantz whic I am considering --http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/htmldocs/prods/MSA8260.html
      There are two other companies I know about called PartsConnexion and Exemplar Audio. A dealer I use uses both of these companies for his own components and has recommended them over the years. I never used them and I haven't had anything modded (but I might look pull the trigger on the Marantz or Rotel CD player). PartsConnexion.com states they can mod out any unit. Anyway, that's the way I would go.

Adz
      Adz

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

I also agree that the 1098 is overpriced, since I have no use whatsoever for the built in screen. While the 1068 supposidly sounds a bit better than the 1066, when I upgrade I want more improvement than it provides.

I, as well as many others were hopeing for a "1098 Lite" in Rotels new lower end processor. I just guess we must look elsewhere. Tis a pity.

Jerry Rappaport

Jerry Rappaport

Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1075/RB-1050
        Klipsch RF7C/RC7C/RS7/RS3 SVS PB2+
        Bravo D1 DVD
        Dish Network 6000U HD
        Ultravision 65" HDTV
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by DrJRapp
          While the 1068 supposidly sounds a bit better than the 1066, when I upgrade I want more improvement than it provides. I, as well as many others were hopeing for a "1098 Lite" in Rotels new lower end processor. I just guess we must look elsewhere. Tis a pity.
          "supposidly" doesn't sound very conclusive... not enough time has elapsed to get a carefully-auditioned, definitive 1068-to-1098 comparison... there is a separate ongoing 1068 vs 1098 thread where the two are said to sound very close if not the same (so far)... other responses from Club Rotel posters seem mixed, with perhaps a slight edge to the 1098... until more folks with the time, resources and knowhow report some serious testing and listening results, I'm in no hurry to write off the 1068 (I have no use for the TFT, either).
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• whmacs
            • Oct 2003

Hi SomeThame,
            Hello and welcome! A very interesting and thought provoking first post. I guess all things are relative. For example, up until Feb this year the RSP-1098 cost $4999 RRP here in Australia with the RSP-1066 coming in at $2300. In Feb the RSP-1098 dropped in price to $3999 RRP. Wheather $3999 is over priced is hard to tell due to lack of competition here in Oz. For example, it is really the only processor a 'normal' person can afford as the likes of B&K and Anthem are not sold here. Interestingly, you can obtain Meridian or Lexicon, these start around $12000 and go up from there! The only other 'affordable' processor I think you can buy is the NAD. I expect the RSP-1068 to be priced around the $2700 mark when it becomes available.

As far as the TFT screen goes, I find it invaluable, this is due to a wiring issue that only allows me view the RSP-1098 OSD on my projector and not my TV. So, even if the sound quality between the RSP-1098 and RSP-1068 were the same, I'd still go for the RSP-1098 due to the TFT. Saying that I can appreciate that alot of people don't need the TFT and would prefer a price cut or better quality components used.

cheers,
            Stephen

My Home Theatre
            My Home Theatre

Comment

• Stevebez
              • Oct 2003

It does seem a valid point to have a 1098 sans TFT screen but with dot matrix display as per 1066/8.

Would also be nice to have a 1098 with dot matrix screen with lets say a ExUp spec. I.e. best of best components - rather than better components as the brave gent who is changing the Op Amps has discovered.

I am also curious to know how these original Op Amps are "tuned" to the rest of the system. Surely changing the amps to those of better quality will change the overall tuned tonal sound? Is this true?

Also when it is commented that the original OpAmps are noisy - just how noisy are we talking? Harmonic distortion on the 1068 is listed as <0.008% (seems very low is this correct?), and the 1098 at <0.05% thats nothing special, but pretty low overall - or am I missing something else?

Rgds Steve

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"