New Rotel Owner - Just Wanted To Say Hi!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bluespower
    • Sep 2005

New Rotel Owner - Just Wanted To Say Hi!

I just wanted to say Hi to club Rotel. I've been lurking for a while trying to get a feel for the gear before I made the leap.

Well, yesterday I brought home a new 1068 and 1095 combo. I spent the day cabling, configuring, and grunting (that 1095 is a brute). The task for today is to get the remote set-up and to start tweaking. With luck, there may even be enough time to do some serious listening. First impressions are WOW!
    Bluespower
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Welcome Bluespower, nice entrance (gear) into Rotel. You will enjoy both the gear and the club, again , welcome.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Bluespower,

Welcome... You've picker some nice gear....

Enjoy dem blues... arty:

Geoff

Comment

• bleeding ears
        • Nov 2004

Welcome bluespower, what speakers are you running in your setup? and what gear did you previously own, if any?

It would be interesting to know how it compares to your new setup.

Please let us know.

Bleeding Ears

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Welcome aboard. Let us know if you have any questions!

Kevin D.

Comment

• pjripple
            • Aug 2005

Hello Bluespower. I purchased the same combo a few weeks ago. So far so good. I'm running Paradigm Studio 100's and the 570 center. I'm told that all of this gear requires some break-in time, so I've tried not to be to concerned with the way it sounds just yet, but I really like it so far and am excited that it may get better.

Comment

• Joey_V
              • Jul 2005

Welcome to the club, Bluespower! :T
              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Welcome aboard Club Rotel, I believe you have chosen your equipment wisely 8) .

In tweaking, ensure that you calibrate your speakers, and chose the correct delay settings.

Enjoy your toys,

Azeke

Comment

• thyname
                  • Jan 2005

Welcome to the Club Rotel!!!

Comment

• Bluespower
                    • Sep 2005

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

In response to Bleeding Ears, the Rotel gear has replaced a Marantz SR7400. I have my Zone 2 cabled into the amplifier inputs of my older Denon AVR-3000 (This gives me 110 wpc and A/B speaker selections for the rest of the house). My disc player is a Marantz VC5400.

Compared to many here, my speakers are modest, but I am completly happy with them. For the front of the room I'm using B&W 603 S3s, a LCR600, and a Mordaunt-Short MS909W. For the surrounds I'm using a "loner" pair of B&W 601s. I'm still trying to decide between dipole/monopole, wall-mount/in-wall (no room for stands).

My listening is 80% music 20% films. My real passions are concert DVDs (Clapton, Procol Harum, etc), DVD-A (Diana Krall, Fourplay, etc), and of course good 2 channel material.

I LOVE the flexibility of the 1068!
                    Bluespower

Comment

• bleeding ears
                      • Nov 2004

Bluespower, how would you describe the difference in sound with the Rotel gear compared with the Marantz Sr7400?

This is of particular interest to me because I am going from a Marantz Sr8200 to a Rsp 1068 and a 5 channel amp.

Hope you found a substantial improvement

thanks Pete

Comment

• DrJRapp
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003

Hi Guy and wrelcome to the club!

Originally posted by Bluespower
                        Compared to many here, my speakers are modest
                        Somehow, I don't think that will be the case for very long....lol
                        Last edited by DrJRapp; 12 September 2005, 19:48 Monday.
                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• miner
                          • Mar 2005

Welcome! You will find this site addicting and most of all, helpful.

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

Blues power, welcome and you will definitely enjoy! I am also curious to hear what differences you might hear between the Rotel and the Marantz. I'm sure there is a difference.

Your speakers, while I wouldn't say modest...there's a lot of 600 series owners on here (we just don't always admit to it... ha ha ha ha)... The 600 series is a phenominal sounding speaker for it's price range. Don't ever thing you're inferior to the 700/800 people. Some day we'll all get to the 800 series....

If I was you, and you are planning on going to a 7.1 setup, I'd stick with the monopole (601s)... to me, the dipole create too diffused of a sound and it's tough to point point where a sound is coming from (blends them all intogether). Where the monopole (in a properly set up configuration) the sound will come from various points that you can pick out. Especially with the 601s and them being able to image extremely well.

You might like the dipole, but I just find the monopole much better. I use 602s x4 for the surrounds and as well as my 604s image up front, the 602s image that well in the back. To the point where it's gotten about 4 or 5 times watching a movie and I would swear there's someone/something behind me because I could pinpoint exactly where the sound came from (and often times there's not a speaker at that location.... )

hee hee.

Enjoy your gear, there's lots of other Rotel people that enjoy theirs!!!!

Congrats!

-Dan
                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                            -Dan

Comment

• thefleu
                              • Sep 2005

New Rotel owner too ...

Hi Bluespower,

Hope you wouldn't mind if I use your thread to say Hi to everybody in this great forum. I finaly decide to jump into Rotel's wonderland a few monthes ago and buy myself an RSP-1066 and 3xRB-03. Some of you migth be surprise I didn't buy a multichannel amplifier, but ... let say my credit card wasn't in a good mood at this time :cry:
                              Anyway, since then I spend hours and hours listenning to my new system and the best word to describe my feeling is : Rhaaaaaaa
                              Which I believe is very close to your WOW

Other components are :
                              4xBC Acoustic Niger (front and rear speakers)
                              CD RCD-1072
                              DVD Pioneer DV-565A
                              The Fleu

Comment

• Bluespower
                                • Sep 2005

Thefleu,

By all means, climb on board! I'll be learning along with all of the other new owners. Rhaaaaaa, Wow, Splendifferious, what ever you call it, it sure is nice to come home and unwind listening to quality sound...
                                Bluespower

Comment

• thefleu
                                  • Sep 2005

Thx Bluespower for your nice welcome.
                                  The Fleu

Comment

• fordster
                                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                                    Hi Guy and wrelcome to the club!

Somehow, I don't think that will be the case for very long....lol

You're not wrong there. I recently bought an RSX-1056 and now I want to upgrade my speakers! No doubt I'll find something else to upgrade after that... :B
                                    Dave

Comment

• PewterTA
                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by fordster
                                      You're not wrong there. I recently bought an RSX-1056 and now I want to upgrade my speakers! No doubt I'll find something else to upgrade after that... :B
                                      It's a vicious and deadly cycle that you can't escape from.... :evil:

But it's also very pleasant along the way... :rofl:
                                      -Dan

Comment

• FENDEBENDER
                                        • Sep 2005

Welcome

I have a 1095 on the way and will be using it to test rf 7's and the paradigm 100 v3 speakers. :^x

Comment

• Bluespower
                                          • Sep 2005

TheFleu

I can't resist asking. Is that an over and under you're pointing or are you just happy to see us?
                                          Bluespower

Comment

• scient
                                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by FENDEBENDER
                                            Welcome

I have a 1095 on the way and will be using it to test rf 7's and the paradigm 100 v3 speakers. :^x
                                            Hey Fenderbender let me know how your tests turn out. I have the 100's myself and have been thinking of getting the RB1080 (using the 1056 for now)

Comment

• thefleu
                                              • Sep 2005

Don't worry bluespower, I'm happy to be in this forum :-)
                                              The little tux is just a reference to Linux which is an other way for me to spend my
                                              spare time. I have other pictures, less threatening, of this little fellow if you believe this
                                              one is too ... let say pointing ?
                                              The Fleu

Comment

• Bluespower
                                                • Sep 2005

TheFleu

Just joshing! I like the graphics. Shooting sports is one of my other hobbies.
                                                Bluespower

Comment

• Bluespower
                                                  • Sep 2005

Bleeding Ears/PewterTA

I wasn't ignoring the requests for a Marantz comparison, I just didn't want to comment until I had a chance to get a little familiar with the new gear. To date there is probably less than 50 hours on the equipment.

I've been a Marantz fan since the seventies when I had a Crown IC-150 mated to an American made Marantz power amp (Model Sixteen if I remember correctly). Besides the SR7400 I just replaced, I have a PM7000 driving a pair of 602s in my office (where the LPs are). So as you can see, I've been in the Marantz camp for quite a while. I still have a huge amount of respect for the brand, especially in the price point they compete in. The Reference series is another matter which I have no experience with.

Some of my observations may not reflect a direct comparison of the hardware since I upgraded my interconnects and front speaker cables at the same time I bought the 1068/1095 with MIT products.

One of the things I love the most about the new gear is the ability to tailor the settings for 2 channel & surround modes. I was not able to do this (easily) with the SR7400 and used “small” speaker settings for all modes. The whole while I had the Marantz I don't think I ever really listened to my 603s where they weren't mated to my sub and crossed over at 80Hz (can you see where I'm going with this).

Since having the new gear I have probably spent more time listening to 2 channel material in bypass mode and marveling how good the 603s sound when they are allowed to operate as full range speakers. There is an openness (airiness?) to the sound in conjunction with a tighter more forceful bass that has me grinning ear to ear.

Listening to DVD-A and DTS videos is equally impressive (of course with the appropriate settings for 5.1). My wife actually sat on the couch with me and commented how nice it sounded (Diana Krall on DVD-A). She has never done that before!

I was also surprised at how much improvement I heard in my second zone (the 1068 feeding the power amp side of a Denon AVR3000 receiver). I'm hearing noticeably improved sound (tightness in the bass, improved clarity, etc) even through a set of original large Advents. I really didn't expect this much improvement from just the preamp.

All in all I will not bash the Marantz. Is the Rotel combo worth six times the price? That is for you to decide. After the short while I've had the 1068/1095 I'm glad that I finally wrote the check.
                                                  Bluespower

Comment

• lvhung
                                                    • Jun 2005

You should go up to 704 BW set-up to find the best of Rotel 1068/1095
                                                    DM series is .. sorry not nreally good

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                      • Nov 2004

lvhung... I think you're wrong.. just skip the 700 series and go straight to the 800s.

Bluespower, no worries I figured you were waiting to give the new toys some time to break in.

I expected your exact comments on what you thought. I think when you give the rotel even more time to settle in with you, you'll be even more amazed. The 2ch is where the Rotel really shines even over Marantz and especially over Denon (not saying either is bad of course).

But the Rotel definitely does give you that grinning from ear to ear effect doesn't it?!!! ha haha

I'm glad you are really liking what you got and it's good to hear that it was worth writing that check!

That's what I think each month when I write my check towards my Rotel gear.
                                                      -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                                        lvhung... I think you're wrong.. just skip the 700 series and go straight to the 800s.
                                                        Hey Dan, I think this will be over some of the new comers heads. :lol:
                                                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• lvhung
                                                          • Jun 2005

Dear Mr Pewter,

I am not own any BW at the moment
                                                          BW Dm series I listened is 603 and 604 S3
                                                          The sound quited clean and smonth but not impressive
                                                          I now own Dyna 52 drive by 1068/1095
                                                          One day when have full ecpreience with 700 and 800 series
                                                          I will give BW UK a chance

PS: I also desire to own a pair of JMlab 816 S

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                            • Nov 2004

Hey, I'm still stuck with my DM600 S3s... Had I known what I know now I would've just gotten the L/R 802s probably...instead of the 7 600series... But at least I can enjoy the 600 series, sell them and move to the 800 series when ready.

Some day I'll make it to the 800s.
                                                            -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"