X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eliav
    • Jul 2005

Rotel 1095 clipping on volume ~ 80 ?

Hi
    I was watching a movie ("the day after tomorrow") using my rotel dvd (1060) player. the volume on my processor indicated 80, during one of the "boomy" episodes I thought I heard some clipping from my front speakers( B&W 803s). during that time, my Monster power conditioner indicated 119.5 volts and ~5.1 amps ( if I correctly recall).. The processor setting is for "big" to the front ones with crossover set to 60hz. the center (htm3s) is set as "small" with crossover at 80hz.the rear are set to small. My subwoofer (Velodyne spl 1200II) is hooked up to a different wall socket with a different breaker. Could this actually happen with this relatively low volume ?
    Thanks
    Eliav
    :T Socrat
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Clipping doesn't really have to do with power input (or lack there of). In addition, if you set your speakers to large, the crossover doesn't have any effect.

If you have a Rotel processor, 80 should be fairly loud. Having the 803's full range on a movie soundtrack at volume 80 with only 200 watts, I would expect some minor clipping. Of course I would suspect the Velodyne first though. The SPL 12 is a good sub, but can get over extended pretty easily.

I would set everything back up the way you have it and listen to the same clip until you can narrow it down. Play it with the 1095 off and see if the sub clips. If not, play it with just your fronts hooked up. If they clip set them to small and try again.

I would run them small regardless.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Eliav
      • Jul 2005

thanks Kevin.
      I set the processor to "large" on the front ones and went to "advanced" and dialed the crossover to 60hz, is it really not taking effect?
      My other question is what is the advantage of having speakers such as HTM3s and 803s if you only use them for mids and highs on HT listening. you actually defeat the whole purpose of having full range fronts and center ?. is it power conservation on this relatively humble amp. ? Would htm4s do the same job as HTM3s on a "small" center setting ?

Thanks again
      Eliav

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Correct, the advanced setting overrides what the global subwoofer setting is at. If the speakers are set to large a full range signal is sent no matter what any crossover is set at.

I wouldn't classify any setting of 120hz or lower as 'only the mids and highs'. Even at 120hz, your still sending 99.4% of the signal to the speaker. It just so happens that that last 1% is the most difficult to reproduce loudly. That's why you have a subwoofer in the system. To take these difficult to reproduce frequencies away from the speakers and play them on a speaker that's designed to easily handle them.

So while you want full range sound for two-channel music reproduction, asking almost any speaker to reproduce the loud dynamics of a movie can be a little much. Also keep in mind that the crossover settings are not brick walls by any means. They slope downward (or upward on the sub output) gradually. So setting your fronts to 60hz (a good choice for the 803's) means they will play at normal levels down to 60hz. At 45hz they will still be playing, only about 6db or so softer.

As far as the htm3 vs htm4, you made the right choice. The timbre matching between the htm3 and your 803's is what makes the sound better. You are correct that using the crossover that the bass response between the two would be close, but the htm4 will sound less like your 803's killing the front soundstage.

So far stereo and music, set them to large or use a lower crossover setting whatever you feel works best for you. For movies, set them higher and to small. Let the subwoofer do it's job and let your 1095 more efficiently run your main speakers. You find it will be more dynamic and be able to go louder without clipping.

For what it's worth, a lot of companies (THX included) recommend a setting of 80hz for every speaker regardless of size.

Give it a try,

Kevin D.

Comment

• Eliav
          • Jul 2005

hey Kevin!
          For two channel (stereo) music I used the analog "bypass' mode, I guess this bypasses any given setting and sends unprocessed full range signals to the 1095 .
          I will take your advice and try the front speakers on "small". doing this, should i adjust the "advacned mode" or it will automatically set the crossover to 120hz?, in other words MUST I define the crossover when going to "small" ?

Thanks
          Eliav
          PS : I am using the Rotel 1068 processor.

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Eliav, Those 803's are not a full range speaker, so they should be set to small in a HT enviroment and let the sub do the work, this will save your speakers in the long run.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Eliav
              • Jul 2005

Hey soundgravy !
              Do you mean the speaker drivers may "wear out" with HT "large" setting played on higher volumes ?

Thanks
              Eliav

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Eliav,

I was just using 120hz as an example. I wouldn't set any of your speakers to that. 60hz is probably a better setting for the 803's and HTM3.

I would set the sub crossover to 60hz and leave all the advanced settings to master. If you find you need a little more bass, set the sub to 80hz and change the advanced settings for your fronts and center to 60hz.

If the advanced settings are left on MASTER, whatever the subwoofer setting is at is used for everything that's set to small. You can override this under the advanced settings by changing it off of MASTER.

Soundgravy was saying that extended clipping can damage your speakers, so stopping the clipping will help save them.

A lot of this is personal preference, room dependent, voodoo magic, etc... We can only help you understand what to do and make recomendations. It's up to you to decide what sounds best to you.

Good luck,

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kobus
                  • Aug 2005

So , this clipping is not normal for this 1095 vs B&W setup? The reason I am asking is because I have the same speakers and am considering the 1095.

Comment

• Bitece
                    • Mar 2005

Try plugging the amp directly into a wall socket and replay the passage.

Comment

• Eliav
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                      Eliav,

I was just using 120hz as an example. I wouldn't set any of your speakers to that. 60hz is probably a better setting for the 803's and HTM3.

I would set the sub crossover to 60hz and leave all the advanced settings to master. If you find you need a little more bass, set the sub to 80hz and change the advanced settings for your fronts and center to 60hz.

If the advanced settings are left on MASTER, whatever the subwoofer setting is at is used for everything that's set to small. You can override this under the advanced settings by changing it off of MASTER.

Soundgravy was saying that extended clipping can damage your speakers, so stopping the clipping will help save them.

A lot of this is personal preference, room dependent, voodoo magic, etc... We can only help you understand what to do and make recomendations. It's up to you to decide what sounds best to you.

Good luck,

Kevin D.
                      Hey
                      I defenitely understand the concept now. I was not aware of the fact that severe clipping may damage the speakers. Very helpful tip. Thanks.
                      Eliav

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"