X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Using a reciever as a pre amp/ using a pre amp

Is there a real benefit in sound quality to us a pre amp vs a reciever as one?

I have an RSX 1055 and am happy with the feature it has and dont need any video switching or upconverting.

I am thinking of going to seperates and was wondering is a I would notice a big difference in a rsx 1055/1075 combo vs a 1068/1075 combo.

I am only asking about a difference in sound quality only.

Thanks
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

I too, have been debating this for a long time. The separates in theorey should be better. However, even the highly esteemed Andrew Pratt claimed there was no major difference in going from his rsp-1066 to his rsx-1055 as a pre.In fact, if I remember correctly, he said he observed none. But,the 1068 does have a few upgrades.

Will there be a difference to your ears? The only way to know is to try. If you can not do an in home demo, I suggest you try to find a dealer that will let you bring your 1055 to his store for a comparison. I would bet that if you hear a difference, it would be subtle enough that it warrants an A/B comparison to see if it is worth it to you.

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by gianni
      I too, have been debating this for a long time. The separates in theorey should be better. However, even the highly esteemed Andrew Pratt claimed there was no major difference in going from his rsp-1066 to his rsx-1055 as a pre.In fact, if I remember correctly, he said he observed none. But,the 1068 does have a few upgrades.

Will there be a difference to your ears? The only way to know is to try. If you can not do an in home demo, I suggest you try to find a dealer that will let you bring your 1055 to his store for a comparison. I would bet that if you hear a difference, it would be subtle enough that it warrants an A/B comparison to see if it is worth it to you.
      a good reply. Technically pairing a RSX 1055 and RMB 1075 would be having seperates would it not? The internal amp in the RSX would be inactive then wouldnt be creating any unwanted "noise"...no?

I guess the real question for me is will having an RSX 1055/RMB 1075 comdo produce better sound then the RSX 1055...lauder I know it will go...but better?

Comment

• gianni
        • Nov 2002

Well as I understand it, in the 1055 the amps will stil be running. However, I've been told that the worst offender in the 1055 in terms of noise will be the tuner which you can't disable.

Using the 1075 versus the 1055's amps will give you better power suppy and capacitance which should improve dynamics among other things. So yes, you have taken a step towards separates at least as far as amplification goes. You are also relieving the 1055's power supply from driving the amps under load..they will just be idling.

As far as the preamp, the differences you may or may not hear versus the 1068 will be dependent on the type of music you listen to, room acoustics, and the remainder of your system as well as your listening habits. Many people have taken this approach with good results. But again, I would really suggest you make the comparison yourself as nobody can tell you with certainty what is going to work best in your case.

If I were to undertake this change right now, I would start with the 1075 and run it in the system for a while. After getting to know the 1075/1055 combo, I would then bring home a demo 1068 and see if the improvement is significant.

Alternatively, go to your dealer and listen to these two combos. MAKE SURE you level match precisely for a valid comparison.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"