X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jk@home
    • Oct 2003

speaker cable sizing/ideas for Rotel/Paradigm

For a while now I have been using my Rotel 1055 receiver as a HT pre/processor for my L/C/R channels, feeding seperate Aragon/Marantz power amps.

I have decided to "seperate" my system. Will be using the Aragon to drive some maggies for music, and use the Rotel receiver to drive an all Pardigm HT system. Now have Studio 20v3s, will get the matching center/sides later.

So I have a 45' cable run between the Rotel and the L/C/R speakers, which will be partially in-wall/ceiling. Do ya think I will be ok with 12 gauge or should I go higher with a 14/4-wire (11 gauge) or 12/4-wire (9 gauge)? Thinking of something like Kimbers KWIK12s or similar CL rated cables.

Thanks, John
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

For a 45' run #12 should be fine, you should'nt have any loss. Also do some of these manufacturers get silly with their wire ratings? I interpet 14/4 as 14 guage, 4 conductor, and the 12/4 respectively as set by the AWG.

Comment

• jk@home
      • Oct 2003

Actually I was referring to taking a 4 conductor wire and wiring it "star quad", to end up with two conductors per speaker terminal. see link:

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

Although I haven't see the Kimber stuff in person, I understand they are basically doing the same thing. Two large and two small conductors, wiring one large and small together to equal 12 gauge. I am assuming for the same reasons that are referred to in the above article.

Comment

• Jeff
        • Dec 2004

I'd go with the 9 guage. Once those wires are in the wall you won't want to change them. You'll then not have any second guessing.

My 2 cents.

Comment

• jk@home
          • Oct 2003

Agree. Think I will try the Liberty stuff, they have a 12-4 conductor that would equal 9 gauge wired as above.

It amazes me that all these In-wall 4 conductor "specialty" wires come with black/red/white/green conductor cable colors. In other words it's basically 120/240-volt power cord, with fancy packaging on the outside! Liberty is suppose to be an OEM supplier, so that does makes me feel a little better.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"