TV: Panasonic 50" LCD HDTV
    DVD player: Denon DVD-2900

Amplifier: Rotel RMB-1095
    Preamp/processor: Rotel RSP-1068

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7
    Surrounds: Klipsch RB-75
    Center: Klipsch RC-7
    Subwoofer: Klipsch RSW-15

Thinking about adding on a Rotel RB-1080 and putting two more Klipsch RB-75's in the rear (bookshelves), is it worth it?

Thanks
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

The value of the other two channels depends a lot on you room and it's configuration. In my case the center back speakers are about the same distance behind me as the LFCRF and I get a good surround effect out of ES, EX`and PLIIx materials. I've heard the same setup where the center backs were closer and trhe effects were not as good.

Your speaker setup is similar to mine except I use the RS speakers for surround as Klipsch intended. I like the enveloping effect they give for HT. You may want to try the RS for your side surrounds. The RSs' Wide Dispersion Surround Technology does a pretty good job of simulating the multiple side surround speakers found in real theaters. I understand that the use of point source speakers for surround works better for SACD and DVDA (both formats in their death throws) than it does for HT. You could move your RBs to the Center Back. Then I would use that 1080 you are adding for the mains (It's cleaner than a 1095) and perhaps look into Dean's crossover mods for your RF7s for music listening.

That should bring you close to Nirvana.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by DrJRapp
      I understand that the use of point source speakers for surround works better for SACD and DVDA (both formats in their death throws) than it does for HT.
      I agree with that first part. Direct radiating speakers work better for mutli-channel music in general IMO, DVD-A, SACD, DD and DTS. Also, while neither high-res format is enjoying huge popular acceptance from the masses they are far from their death throws :roll: )
      Jason

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

That's a matter of opinion, I believe. Sony has stopped all production of new SACDs and, well, DVDAs have never been very plentiful. Rumor has it that Sony plans to stop production of SACD drives since the demand has been so lite and there is inventory for manufacturers to build players for at least the next two years.

I have capability of both formats, yet still seem to prefer good old redbook CDs in 2 channel. (More for the wider availability of music than for the technical superiority). Those formats are dying a slow death due to the lack of demand. It takes more than a few of us enthusiasts to make a format thrive, it takes the masses. Unfortunatly, they an not with us on these two. That's why I recommend building a 7.1 system with speakers that are more theater oriented than music oriented. Why have your system designed to shine on what may amount to 5% of your listening?
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

First, last I heard that wasn't true. Sony's still producing media. As for a few enthusiasts not supporting a format...untrue as well. Just look at vinyl Is it a "niche", audiophile product? Mostly, yes. Are either dying? No. Especially with hybrid disc's, Dual-discs etc.

Perhaps you should have a read through this thread:

Also depending on the user, it may accound for much more than 5% of their listening, especially when you include multichannel DD/DTS music and 2ch sources played back via DPLII. Also don't forget the high-res audio that will be available on the new HD formats as well. In those cases multichannel audio could make up a LOT of a user's system use if they are an avid music listener and enjoy any of those formats. This makes direct radiating speakers appropriate for more than just the two high-res formats. Not to mention direct radiators do have their benefits for movies as well. Some surround info is actually better with more directionality and studios use direct radiators to mix surround mixes as well. That should tell you something

Anyhoo... Sorry to hijack the thread :lol: Klipsch speakers are more efficient than most speakers so it's likely you may notice less of an improvement with more, dedicated power than people with less efficient speakers but it should make a difference and allow you to also go 7.1, 2'nd zone or bi-amp your mains if you choose.
          Jason

Comment

• Mark1Ace1
            • Jun 2005

I say, if your thinking about going 7.1 go for it, what is there to lose? I myself am a big movie fan, so love the additional surround material...Go For it!!!

Mark

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

I asked a similar question in the Home Theater section of the forum and most people that responded seemed to be more in favor of dipole speakers over direct radiating.
              Aud19: I didn't know that movie studios actually use direct radiators when they're mixing. But most people also don't have a room that's anywhere close to the environments of a professional studio. It seems that alot of people are also using a combination of dipole and direct radiators, where they use dipole for side surrounds and direct for rear surrounds.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by aud19
                First, last I heard that wasn't true. Sony's still producing media.
                Jason

Yes they are still manufacturing existing media, but what I SAID in my post was that Sony has stopped producing new SACDs. That means that the Sony titles out there now will be all that are forthcoming in that media from Sony. As far as SACDs go, the industry will probably follow what Sony does.

I did read that four month old thread when it was evolving. Since then it has been confirmed that Sony has stopped manufacturing drives and stopped producing new SACDs. There has been some talk of a SACDII format, but so far it's just that, talk.

Unfortunatly, with even all your enthusiasm, zeal and wishfull thinking, it doesn't change the fact that SACD as a format IS dying. That's why I personally wouldn't recommend setting up a system with top notch SACD (or DVDA for that matter) as it's primary design priority. Especially if it costs additional $$ to do so.
                Last edited by DrJRapp; 18 July 2005, 13:15 Monday.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Well Jerry, perhaps you should go back and read some more on that "4 month old" thread that still had posts as recently as about a week ago

1) Sony music will start rolling out sacds agin starting in the fall. they told me was the reason why so few had come out it was they were waiting for the new sonoma work stations to be delivered this past April.

2) the first sacd audio systems for cars will be announced in September.

3) the first portable sacd players will probably be out next year.

4) the new sonoma has generated a lot of interest and they said that there will be an increase in releases from the other big labels. when I asked who they said they couldn`t say at this time as the deals were still being worked out.
                  Doesn't sound like Sony thinks it's a dying, ugly stepchild of theirs

Frankly I don't have any enthusiasm, zeal or wishfull thinking here. Just trying to represent what may be more accurate information than what you're sharing. I have no vested interest in to whether SACD succeeds other than musical enjoyment. Also I don't even own an SACD capable player and but one single SACD (Floyd's DSOTM) I'm just sharing information

Also as I mentioned there are NUMEROUS other reasons to use direct radiators beyond DVD-A/SACD and in fact they're usually less expensive than equivelant di/bi-poles so I'm not sure why you'd think they be additional $$?

Blaze you're right, most people don't have profesional studios in their homes. In cases where placement and/or small room size are important considerations, I'd usually recommend bi/di-poles. If it's a large room with ability for optimal placement and music's an important consideration, I'd recommend direct radiator's. Of course the best advice is to listen to both and let your ears decide :T
                  Jason

Comment

• DrJRapp
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2003

Jason

If what you say is true, then you would be correct. However, none of my sources can confirm much of those "facts".

The Klipsch 7 series surrounds (RS7) usually retail for about $100 less than the RB75s. That's why I make the statement about spending more $$.
                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

I would guess they're one of the few speakers that are less compared to a similarly equipped direct radiator then. The additional drivers alone usually bump the cost up.
                      Jason

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

I just wanted to add (thanks to Jerry :T ) that with regards to Klipsch speakers in particular, multi-pole speakers are likely your best option for surrounds regardless of the amount of music listening/size of room because their horns are naturally more "beaming" and directional than other speakers. It is however not a hard and fast rule, especially when using other speakers and should always be decided on after hearing both for yourself

So you pick up that other amp Pyro? I mean you never hear anyone in HT complaining they have too much power... !?! :lol:
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"