X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ludwig Van Beethoven
    • Oct 2003

Question on setting up 1066 and 1075??

Hi Guys,

I would like to know how to setup my Sony 300 disc changer to get the best 2 channel audio??? What connections should i connect the sony to on the back of the 1066? And what cables should I use to get the purest sound and bypassing all the other subwoofer and multichannel processors and such? I have Klipsch Reference series and they are biwired with Monster Z2 cable.

Thanks
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Unless that's a Sony ES model I'd use a digital connection to the Rotel. Then configure your CD input to use that digital connection and run it as Stereo. Then all you need to do is under the stereo mode set the LFE to OFF and you'll be running in pure 2 channel using the Rotels DAC's to decode the PCM signal from the jukebox.

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
      • Oct 2003

So is the 1066 and 1075 combo superior in 2 channel audio to a Rotel 1065 HT reciever??

Thanks

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Some would say yes that it does provide a minor sonic improvement. If you were comparing the 1065 to the RSP-1098, then my answer would be an unequivocal yes.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Very likely yes given the amp section in the 1065 likely isn't as strong the true power amp. Pre amp wise they're likely very similar but since the 1066/1075 combo is about the same price as the 1065 I'd highly recomend the seperates.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

So Ludwig.... I see you're considering the 1066 and 1075 as I knew you would...lol Congrats and welcome to the land of money being sucked from your wallet

I know you were considering the 1055 earlier so I assume the budget has been upped right? You could still get the 1055 now and save up for the 1075 later if budget is a concern. Thus switching the 1055 over to pre/pro duties. The added bennefit here is that you could then bi-amp your Klipsh's with the amp section from the 1055 for the highs and the 1075 for the lows. If sonics are your prime target, as your love of 2 channel and classical music reflects, I would, if you can afford it, get the 1066 and 1075. Hell if you can afford it I'd get the 1098 and 1075 but that's a whole other budget. In my opinion if space and the convenience of one box isn't a concern you're better off with either the 1055 and 1075 (more power and a tuner) or 1066 and 1075 (better sonics) than the 1065, especially for the minor differnce in cost.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
              • Oct 2003

Thanks Aud,

I just picked up a 1055 off Ebay for $930 shipped, im now going to get a nice Rotel 2 channel stereo amp or do you recommend the 1075?

Thanks alot for everyones help.

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

I know others might disagree here, but I'd go with the two channel amp for two reasons: (1) You listen so much to two channel music and (2) your Klipsch speakers are so efficient that a few watts will drive them to reference levels for home theater. The question comes up why buy a separate amp if you need so little power for the Klipsch. Well, first of all, outboard amps invariably sound better, more dynamic and cleaner than the amps that come in all-in-one receivers, although the amps in the 1055 are most certainly a big step up from the vast majority of receivers I've heard.. I'm working under the assumption that you're, like me, a much more critical listener with music than home theater, so, if this isn't true, the picture changes. Classical music can be extremely dynamic and push the demands on the power supply up instantaneously. As an example, listen to "Mars" in Holst's The Planets. An explosion of sound. The extra power lends itself toward cleaner, less compressed sound during passages such as this. The Parasound amp I used with my Klipsch before replacing them made a huge difference in this regard over my old Onkyos internal amps. When I listen to something like a quartet, I really crave to hear each of the instruments in their position, with dead air (silence) between them...each instrument distinct, with little blurring of sound into the empty space. Didn't happen with my Onkyo's amps, but the warm Parasound amp improved the sonic picture drastically.

Hope this helps.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                  • Oct 2003

Thanks Danbry39,

I appreciate the detailed comparison and write up. What model 2 channel amp would you recommend by Rotel

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Well I almost totally agree with Danbry here with one possible exception.

Based on the fact that you listen to primarily music, a few years ago, I would have totally recommended the two channel amp for your mains. However nowadays there are some pretty damn great sounding recordings coming out on DVD-A and SACD including quite the selection of classical recordings. The sound on many of these dics could be described as having the clarity of CD's with the warmth and musicality of LP's. Most of those recordings have some sort of multi-channel recording as well as a 2-channel recording with the multi-channel obviously offering a dimensionally fuller, more spacious and surrounding experience. Now you may not own a DVD-A or SACD player right now but I might recommend that you at least consider the 1075 for multi-channel audio in the future. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. You would still be able to bi-amp your Klipsh's as well.

Just my 2 cents.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                    Jason

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                      • Sep 2003

I agree with aud19 totally. I have the 1075 running the mains until I get the 2 channel 1080. As far as 2 channel listening, the 1075 is superb if you do decide to go that route..

But like aud19 said, you might wantto go multi-channel down the road and the 1075 would be a good choice.

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                      GameTracker -My List-
                      Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                        • Oct 2003

What sort of cables will I need if i was to go the two channel amp route or the multi channel to hook into the 1055?

Comment

• will1066
                          • Aug 2003

Two RCA patch cords from the 1055's Preout jack for a 2-channel amp. Five patch cords for a 5-channel amp.

Then, move the speaker wire from the 1055's speaker connections to the amp's speaker connections.

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by will1066
                            Two RCA patch cords from the 1055's Preout jack for a 2-channel amp. Five patch cords for a 5-channel amp.

Then, move the speaker wire from the 1055's speaker connections to the amp's speaker connections.
                            Ahhh, thank you. So i will need two RCA coax cables 75ohm impedance with gold connections then.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"