X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

S's overpronounced in vocals!!!

Guys, I have recently noticed some kind of disturbing S's overstressing in vocals of all kind of music I listen too, sometimes more sometimes less. It sounds like they are kind of wistling while saying words with "s" on them. I like the highs in my system a lot, but this... I don't think I like this. Any idea if this is normal??!!!

My system is:
    RB-1080
    RC-1070
    RCD-1072
    Axiom M60TI
    Pair of SilverCats interconnects
    10G Bi-wire shotgun SignalCable speaker wire
    PureAV PF60 power console
  • Tha Freak
    • Jul 2003

this is called sibilance (is this how it's called in english?) and it's due to a boost in the HI frequency. I think anyway

It may help to activate the "cinema EQ" while in HT mode...

Also interconnects might be in cause there...if your "SilverCats interconnects" are made of silver...that might be a part of the problem....

I read somewhere that silver interconects give a boost in the HI frequencies...

well I might be wrong!...

anywhay!! hope it helped!!
    - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

What's your *room* like? That can cause more problems than cables

Comment

• thyname
        • Jan 2005

Tha Freak, I purchased the SilverCats with the hope they can really help crisp highs, but not to get this phenomena. I don't think they are the ones to cause "sibilance". My preamp RC-1070 is a stereo only and doesn't have those EQs. Probably Lex (Doug) can provide some input here (please!!)

Jim, my room is large (20X22) with opening to kitchen and foyer. You think that the room size may cause my problem? How?

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

Do you have large windows (bad), and empty walls, etc? Do you have a couch or two (good)? Put it another way, when you clap your hands together, is the echo painfull
          Like thafreak said, you are looking for a HF problem.

BTW if you have a standard 8' ceiling, your dimension ratios are fine (not perfect but very good) for low frequency response.

Comment

• thyname
            • Jan 2005

Yes, I have very large windows, and I do hear an upleasant echo when clapping my hands, I have two coaches though. What is "HF"?

Below is a plan of my apt. My system is located in the living room, right hand side wall close to the windows.
            Attached Files

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

HF = high frequency

All the flat large hard surfaces reflect the high frequencies, including walls and windows.

It looks like you will need some acoustic treatement (fabric, etc) in the room to keep HF down. At least HF problems are easier to treat than BF problems (rumble, etc). Fabric over your windows and maybe some special panels on the wall if you want perfection and bingo. Maybe take a look in the "spaced out" part of the forum.

Comment

• thyname
                • Jan 2005

I posted a similar question to the Axiom boards, and everybody suggested that it all has to do with the source - Cd recordings, and not with the interconnects, etc. What do you guys think?

By the way, I saw a "home theatre workshop" last night on DIY network channel. Nothing special about audio, but great footage on how to create a HT room (insulation, acoustics, wall treatment, etc)

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

People often forget about acoustics. I'm pretty sure that acoustics is the problem in your case. The RCD-1072 is a great CD player and the amp or interconnect can change the sound a bit but not as much as you would like.

For example; I had no problems after break-in until I got my old sofa out (I sold it and I will get my new one soon). I almost can't listen to music anymore because the HF echoing is killing me. I can't wait to get my much bigger new sofa to pad the room a little Try curtains too; I find the sound much better when the curtains are closed so it makes a difference.

In the mean-while, try playing with your bass (or contour?) control, even if it's "evil"

Good luck!

Comment

• thyname
                    • Jan 2005

Somebody at another message board suggested that it may be my Belking power console. Below is a very much appreciated message from a nice gentelman:

Yeah, it definitely isn't in all recordings. The Richard Gray unit I am using is the RGPC 400 mkII. It retails for around $700, but you can pick one up on audiogon for about $400. It gives you serious surge protection for anything you plug into it (way beyond MOV used in most conditioners) because it is an inductor. It does however use an MOV for it's second line of defense. I don't plug my amp into it, just my front end, tv, etc. It is described as having the power company right at your house. I have found other power conditioners really limit the current getting to your components squashing dynamics. If the Belkin is using ferrite cores in it's design this can, in my experience cause excessive brightness. I would first try plugging your amp/ pre amp directly into the wall and see where this gets you.
                    Please let me know what you think!!! I already tried and plugged my RB-1080 directly into the power line, but can't seem to notice any reduction in sibilance. However, (I may probably be wrong) but my system kinda sound a little better now!!!

Comment

• jim777
                      • Mar 2005

My system sounds a little better without the surge protection too. I've got a monster HTS1000MkII and it kills dynamics even with a good amp. I still think that you should experiment with your room acoustics even if it's harder than ordering a new cable or something...

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"