• Sep 2003

rsp1066 with Parasound

I am looking in to getting a Paramound multi amp HCA 2205A
    to go with rsp1066 or 1098 does anybody know if it will be a better match
    than the 1095 amp.
    Parasound seem to beefier and better specs :roll:
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Its less a question of matching a rotel pre/pro to that parasound, but more does it match with your speakers and the sound you like.

Parasound have incredibly good amps, which can handle even more difficult speakers. I know someone who traded in his RMB1095 for a HCA2205 and he is very pleased with it. He's using B&W N804 + B&W HTM1 + B&W N805 speakers. The parasound goes a lot deeper and is more tight. But also its more in your face sound, than the more laid back and warm sound of Rotel.

If you can get a decent 2205 for a good price, then go for it

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

I don't know if there's a "better" here. Both companies are great companies that make really nice amps. I have the 1205A Parasound amp and love it. I think you'd be fine either way. One good thing about the Parasounds is their 5 year total/10 year parts warranty. What speakers are you going to be driving them with?

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• dave
        • Aug 2003

A Friend of mine is running a Citation 5.0 preamp with his parasound 5 ch. amp. The sound that comes from that system is Beautiful when listening to jazz & classical and is more than efficiant for everything else including HT. Like Danbry 39 asked what speakers are you using. I personally am using all Rotel for Preamp, Amp. duties and am very satisfied. Best of luck to you on your choices.

dave
        Dave...

Comment

• JerryIII
          • Feb 2002

I highly recommend the Parasound amps. I could be a bit biased though. I own 3 of them.

Jerry

Click here to see my HT pics

Comment

• cadman
            • Sep 2003

why did you get parasound and not rotel amp 1095 200watts
            and how do you like music from the 1066 with parasound in stereo

I listened to the 1098 with 1095 and it sound great but its 8000$ cdn
            ouch I am getting the parasound 2205a for 2000$cdn
            is tha a good price?

Comment

• JerryIII
              • Feb 2002

I bought my amps and used them with a receiver before I bought a pre-amp. I liked the sound and the warranty on the Parasound amps. When I looked to buy a pre-amp I felt that the 1066 was the best bang for the buck so I bought it. I really like the sound of these two together. I think that 2000 cdn is a pretty good deal. I say go for it.

Jerry

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Please excuse the intrusion, but I'll go ahead since we're all in the same forum website-- I'd love it if some of you guys would post some thoughts and comments on Parasound equipment in Club Parasound, right next to Club Rotel here!

(we talk about classic Parasound equipment too, not just the new Halo line)

CHRIS
                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Scarp
                  • Mar 2003

Thanks Chris ... especially since I order a Parasound A51 yesterday to replace my Rotel RB1090. The mean reason was pricing and performance. I would have needed a RMB1095 multi channel amp to go with the RB1090 for surround, however the Parasound A51 outperformed both (in my ears!) both of those Rotel amps and is nearly the same price.

Btw.. I will keep the RSP1098

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                    • Oct 2002

I honestly don,t think that Parasound is in a different category then Rotel. I think they are in the same range of performance.

If you want a step above Rotel and Parasound, you have to go with Bryston, Classe, Krell Levinson and the like. But it,s only my humble opinion.

I think that Rotel will give you the same quality and performance then the Parasound. I really think that going from one company to the other is only a lateral move...
                    To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Scarp
                      • Mar 2003

Yup, thats your opinion, however I (and many others I know from other forums) disagree. Parasound is a step up from Rotel. It offers power and handling that Rotel cannot do. I compared Rotel againt Parasound on B&W N802's and the Rotel was fine, but the parasound was much difference.

Bryston is not my kind of sound, also they are too expensive here for what they delivery. I find them less than pleasing on my ears in music.

I know several people moving from Rotel amps to parasound and none of them think its lateral, but all find its up. Even someone moved from big Classe amp to a parasound A51.

Rotel is certainly not bad and is very good in its price range compared to its competition.

Anyway... the only advice is to the topicstarter and listen and make up your own mind which you find better.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                        • Oct 2002

Sorry Scarp, but my post was not for you, but for the original poster, to make him realize that going from a Rotel amp to a Parasound amp would not yield that big a difference.

If he looks around, on different forum, he will notice that alot of people are putting Parasound, Rotel, ATI, Sherbourn and the like in the same "boat".

But if HE listen to both, in the same listening conditions (if he can), and he finds he can hear a difference between the Rotel and the Parasound, then he should go for it.

No need to justify your buying decision... I was talking to the original poster.

Btw, I really think that Bryston amps don't roll off at the top end like some Parasounds and Rotel amp are doing. So what was recorded is what you will hear. If you prefer listening to what the amp makers wants you to hear, then listening to what the recorders wanted you to hear... it's your choice!
                        To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Scarp
                          • Mar 2003

How do you know what was the original intend with recording? I hear a lot of people saying that their system reveals what the original recording was, but none of those people where at the original recording studio. So I am always curious about that.

Anyway... the only way to decide what you want is to listen. And preferences differ. Its just not possible to say that one amp is better than the other. Its a personal thing.

btw... i found bryston a bit "dirty" in the low bass

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                            • Oct 2002

scarp, you should never challenge me... because I always have proof of what I'm saying...

I'm at work, so I don't have Acrobat reader here... So you will have to go see it by yourself...

In one of the Rotel RMB-1095 reviews (go see on their site), the vice-president of Rotel (Mike Bartlett) is telling the reviewer why there is a "veil" on the top-end, because he did notice a roll-off at the top-end.... Guess what, the big guy is aknowlodging the fact (on their own web site!!!), saying that it is intentionnal, to be sure that the amp is compatible with alot of different speakers, with different designs, they had to make that trade-off. So Rotel and Parasound are doing it intentionnally, but not Bryston. Rotel use this strategy to "hide" those high-frequencies that can sound "fatiguing" with speakers thaty are really revealing, and reproducing the recording the way it was intended to be.

Just go read it. It's an amp makers design... It's not my opinion, but a fact confirm by the amp designer... Like I just said... : 8) 8) 8)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

levesque you are right that the multi channel amps from rotel do roll off the top a little. Their 2 channel amps do not though as they're intended for music. I'm wondering though what you feel your purpose is though participating in all the Rotel threads since you are always saying that the Anthem or Bryston are better. I have no problems in you feeling that way but given this is Club Rotel posting such views in every thread only causes friction and as a moderator its my job to make sure everyone gets along. I'm not asking you to stop posting just please think about the crowd you're talking to and the reaction you're likely going to get when you post.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                • Oct 2002

Sorry Andrew, but like Scarp, you don't really understand what I'm saying.

I own a RMB-1095, and I was defending it! I don't think that Parasound is any better then Rotel, and for me it's a lateral move, after listening to alot of Parasound amps. Watt for watt, a Bryston is considered a step-up over Rotel and Parasound, if you go read in other forums, you will easily read about it.

But to make a step up, I don't think the original poster will hear a big difference going from Rotel to Parasound, because the designer of those amps, to keep the prices lower, have to cut some rough-edges... that was my point. In Scarp country (but not in Canada) Bryston amps cost alot more then Rotel and Parasound because they don't make those price decision cutting...

I really love my Rotel RMB-1095, and you won't be able to convince me that a Parasound amp will sound any better... If Scarp think that a Parasound sound better, I don't have any problems, it's his ears, and I respect that. If he don,t like the sound of Bryston, ok for me. But it's only because of a designer decision not to rool-off those high-ends, like Mike Bartlett of Rotel was saying in The Perfect Vision. Rotel and Parasound are sharing this way of thinking.

That's my point. Owning a Rotel, I think I have the right to defend it? No? Is it a "Club Rotel", or a "Club Rotel for POSITVE posts on Rotel allowed" only?

BTW, Scarp is defending is Parasound choice here over Rotel, but you don't tell him to stop do it? Is there a little something I don't understand here? You should ask Scarp, like you did to me, to stop talking "against" Rotel, or saying that Parasound are making superior products.. :?: :?: :?: .

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Scarp
                                  Parasound is a step up from Rotel. It offers power and handling that Rotel cannot do. I compared Rotel againt Parasound on B&W N802's and the Rotel was fine, but the parasound was much difference.
                                  Here Andrew. You have it. Plain and dirty. Is it different then what I'm saying on Anthem and Bryston? So why aim the comments at me?

Is it because there is a Parasound section in HTGuide? And there is no Anthem Bryston section?

It's ok if you want to point the finger at me. But try to be fair with everyone posting here, and treat us equally, please.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Sorry levesque you are right I should ban you both :LOL: Just kidding I did misunderstand you above (sorry) and no this isn't a "only talk nicely about Rotel" forum but I just ask that everyone keep in mind that given that this part of HTGuide is filled with die hard Rotel fans and we're likely to get a little put off when someone comes in telling us there's something better then Rotel (which is true if you're willing to pay for it :twisted: ). If you want to post about a choice between two products consider posting it in either the Audio or Home Theater parts of the guide site where you should get a more even debate on the two products...you wouldn't go to a Microsoft convention asking how good linux is as an OS would you?

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                      • Oct 2002

Understood...

Andrew. I was just wondering why you were pointing me out. Was feeling like a black sheep...

BTW, I own a Rotel RMB-1095, and a RB-1050 for another listening room. And I think the price/performance ratio can't be beat! 8)

Comment

• mariachi
                                        • Aug 2003

Levesque,

I've been following this thread and I understood the point you were making. I didn't see what the fuss is about, and I agree with your Rotel and Parasound being about the same. Going from a Rotel to a Parasound doesn't make sense if the wattage is close to the same, it's a waste of money. Now, if you were upgrading to a more powerful amp from either brand then the purchase would be justified. I went from a Parasound that had 85 *5 to the RMB 1075 and to me there was a difference. The Rotel was better, but I'm sure if I had the Rotel 1075 and "upgraded" to the Parasound 1205, the cost would not be justified.

-Vic

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"