How to setup the 12v trigger? please help.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

How to setup the 12v trigger? please help.

Hi,
    I have rc-1070, rb-1080 , and rcd-1072. Basically, i 'm trying to setup 12v trigger for my gears. And wHich tool do i need and where to get it?

Sorry for dummy questions

Thanks.
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

1/8" (3.5 mm) mono plug on both ends of a cable.

Comment

• NewBuyer
      • Feb 2005

A similar stereo cable works just fine too.

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

Just make sure power is off on both components as w/ stereo you could pull the 12v trigger to ground and find out where it is fused.

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by audiofan
          Hi,
          I have rc-1070, rb-1080 , and rcd-1072. Basically, i 'm trying to setup 12v trigger for my gears. And wHich tool do i need and where to get it?

Sorry for dummy questions

Thanks.
          Run trigger from RC-1070 to RB-1080. Run another trigger from the RB-1080 to the RCD-1072. The trigger wires can be found at Radio Shack as described by Soudhound.

Comment

• thyname
            • Jan 2005

I just got my RC-1070 / RB-1070 combo yesterday. I got two 1/8" mono cables with mini plugs in both ends from RadioShack. One goes from 12v trigger Out in my RC-1070 to trigger In in my RB-1070, the other one from trigger Out in my RB-1070 to trigger In in my RCD-1072 (trigger switch needs to be on at RB-1070). Now I can turn all three units on and off with my RC-1070 remote.

Comment

• Madmoose
              • Apr 2005

Also need help on this

I've got a similar question in terms of how to get or make the right 12v trigger cable. I recently purchased a 1098 and 1060 , but picked up a non-rotel amp at a good price from a friend - its a lexicon. Apparently, for 12v trigger, they use a different type of cable plug. I'm not sure how to get a mono end for the 1098 connected to what is needed for the Lex. I did buy a cable w/ mono on one end and 2 bare wires on the other but to be honest don't know what to do w/ it. Can anyone help with this?

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Well you'd need to get a cable that works with the Lexicon. Probably have to cut the wire and splice the wires from the mono cable to the Lexicon cable. That should be all there is too it. Unless Lexicon uses some different setup of a 12volt trigger...
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• audiofan
                  • May 2004

Thanks all for the answers. I'm curious that where the adapter goes ? I think 12v trigger should have some sort of power to go in ?

thanks again.

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

There's should be a 1/8" plug on the back of the RC-1070, two on the RB-1080 (one in and one out), then one of the 1072. Just "daisy chain" them from the 1070 to the 1080, then from the 1080 to the 1072 with those male 1/8" (3.5mm) male cables. That should be it, there's no other type of adapter needed.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Parsonsk
                      • Nov 2004

what about other items? I've read about people using their 12v trigger for fans and small things of the like...what else could you use a 12v trigger for??

Comment

• soundhound
                        • Mar 2004

Let you're imagination wander, the sky is the limit.......with todays technology.

Comment

• Parsonsk
                          • Nov 2004

In otherwords soundhound, you don't know.

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Parsonsk
                            In otherwords soundhound, you don't know.
                            Wow nice reply... I'm sure he does know. You asked an open ended question and got an open ended answer.

It's a voltage driven trigger. Anything that can be triggered by 12volts can be ran. That makes pretty much every 12v driven device an option. Add a high-voltage relay with a 12v coil, and then you can trigger any high-voltage device.

So the answer correctly is "anything"..

Kevin D.

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

Correct, if you can imagine it, it can probably be done... Just takes some work.
                              -Dan

Comment

• Parsonsk
                                • Nov 2004

But don't you guys get tired of reading responses to peoples questions that are open ended?
                                For example:
                                Q: What amp is better a or b?
                                A: Trust your ears and buy what you can afford...

Come on now lets get past the pansy answers and provide some real direction and advice. We all know it eventually comes down to the individual buying what they want but this is either just crap or being lazy. :M

Perhaps i should have worded my question, "Can you provide specific examples of what you or heard of other people hooking up to their 12V trigger"
                                (But, is there a need to be that anal?)

Comment

• mjb
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Parsonsk
                                  "Can you provide specific examples of what you or heard of other people hooking up to their 12V trigger"
                                  Personally I use it to control a matching amp, and it works as advertised. I have 'heard' of people driving fans and such with it, although to be honest I'd like to know how. I have not found any specification for Rotels 'Trigger' (eg, load current) and I'm sure it's foolish to expect the trigger output to provide more than a few mA. Therefore, to be safe, I'd use a relay or solid state switch if I was planning to control any non-Rotel equipment, or high current loads such as big fans.

That said, its just an on/off output - so yes, the answer is "you're imagination is the limit", however 'anal' that might sound..
                                  - Mike

Main System:
                                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• soundhound
                                    • Mar 2004

Parsonsk, what would you like it to do? Start you're car? Turn the lights on or off in a room? Put a motor on the drapes and have them automatically open/close? About the only thing it won't do is help you get a handle on you're attitude. There are some quite helpfull people on this forum who have gladly helped one another, and if you soften up a bit, ask a specific question, I would bet you will get a specific answer. Many people do post questions looking for opinions, they ask them as such, respondants answer as such. Others ask questions looking for facts, and their too, respondants answer as such. All in all it's a pretty harmonius little group here, so fire up you're Rotel, put on some jazz, relax, and enjoy the ride....Bob
                                    p.s. mjb it's 12vdc @ 200ma
                                    Last edited by soundhound; 09 May 2005, 19:29 Monday.

Comment

• stringzz
                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Madmoose
                                      I've got a similar question in terms of how to get or make the right 12v trigger cable. I recently purchased a 1098 and 1060 , but picked up a non-rotel amp at a good price from a friend - its a lexicon. Apparently, for 12v trigger, they use a different type of cable plug. I'm not sure how to get a mono end for the 1098 connected to what is needed for the Lex. I did buy a cable w/ mono on one end and 2 bare wires on the other but to be honest don't know what to do w/ it. Can anyone help with this?
                                      Moose, I believe Bryston made the amps for Lexicon, so I believe you have bare wire terminals for the amp. There should be an on/off terminal and a C terminal. The C Terminal is the ground wire. There should be screws to hold the wire in the terminal, you will need to loosen those to get the wires in the terminal.

I tried buying a 1/8 mono plug and spliced one end. The problem was the cable could not deliver the 12 volts. Maybe because the wire was too thin? So I used 16 gauge speaker wire and solder it to a 1/8 mini plug, and voila, it worked. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Comment

• soundhound
                                        • Mar 2004

Voltage can be carried by moist air, current is very much limited by the cable, but you would feel this in the form of heat prior to melting the insulation. 30 guage (kynar) wire is used on many circuit boards for up to 24vdc, even 48 vdc when circuit modifications are made. Insulation on the wire is the big factor when voltage/ enviroment are concerns. The guage is current dependant.

Comment

• Trevgrif
                                          • Jun 2005

The 12v trigger provides just 15 mA of current. A miniature relay will be necessary to control other equipment. Apparently it is so low because Rotel use Fibre optics to provide the voltage so as not to introduce any noise to the system. But based on the hum I get from my 1067 and the 1065 I tested before buying the 1067, what actual difference could it have made to provide more current like 100 mA?

Comment

• Mitchell
                                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
                                            About the only thing it won't do is help you get a handle on you're attitude.
                                            Actually, if you attach the 12v trigger to an electronic pill dispenser that dispenses prosac, attitude adjustment can be controlled by the 12v trigger.
                                            I hope this is helpful
                                            Mitchell

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"