X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

1055 First Impressions

This is a post I made on Hometheaterspot.com, hope you enjoy!

Ok, I bought my yamaha 992 receiver in 1997 when it first was released. I thought this was the greatest receiver and that I would stick w/ yamaha from then on out.

fast forward to a month ago and I was looking into upgrading. Naturally I was looking into the new yamaha's and I liked the 2300. My cousin told me that he thought Denon was better so I started looking into it. The 3803 was the one that caught my eye. Right after that, news of the Yamaha 2400 hit and I was very confused. Which do I go with. The YPOA (maybe YPAO) looked very attractive to me.

Im a musician first and I understand paper on actual sound. I know that a 100 watt marshall and a 100 watt dual rectifier sound different.

I have had my receiver for a long time, but never new of calibration. I often times was frustrated changing volumes between dialog being too quiet and action scenes too loud. I recently calibrated my 992 and what a difference it made. What an idiot i was. heh.

anyways. I asked rkkwan(sp - not looking it up) his opinion because he seems very helpful and very knowledgeable and he said that when the 2400 hit the streets, that probably would be the choice (due to it being newer and having new features). He didnt bash Denon and basically said it depends on where in the product cycle you are which to go with. He also mentioned Outlaw and Rotel as possiblities.

I had never heard of either of these. I looked at Outlaw first, and 1500 was more than I wanted to spend so I moved to Rotel. I found the RSX1055 and now I must say I hit a new level of confusion! I have b&w speakers and seeing my brand speakers all over their website only wetted my taste buds. and upgradeability. The whole reason I was getting a new receiver. Not for sound, but for features (DDEX, DTS, DTSES, DPLII). I found a dealer who sells rotel and went to talk to them.

Told them I want 7.1, but have no use for it right now due to my small apt (850sq ft).

I left and was still unclear. You can never really tell until you hear it on your equipment. They had a 1066 setup and I watched star wars on the denon 2900. Am I the only one that noticed the glowing outline on people? didnt care for it. also dipole speakers. never heard them before, dont care to again.

One of the strong points about Rotel is their support. They offer software upgrades. that is a very nice feature. So I found another dealer locally who sold rotel. (the first one was too cocky for my tastes - when I asked them to compare denon to yamaha they said yamaha makes motorcycles.)

The second dealer offered me an outstanding price (1099$) so I jumped on it. I wanted silver. Just think it looks cooler. It was supposed to come in yesterday but I found out silver is on backorder until october 9th and he would let me take his floor model home until then.

He hadnt had it long and it was a black one. I was too excited to pass up having a new receiver so I agreed. While there the thought of unhooking and hooking everything back up was just not an enjoyable one so I asked him if he would shave more off if i agreed to keep the floor model. He gave it to me for $967. Sold. It actually wasn't used very much and was the wide bandwidth model ( i made him call to verify. heh).

Got home, setup everything and went into the OSD and realized I should probably update the firmware. Downloaded the PDF and like and idiot I took the cover off looking for the dip switches. They should ad a photo to the PDF so people realize its just on the back. heh. anyways. Almost did the LFE fix while I was in there but decided against it for now. wanted to hear it too much!

I must say microsoft has me spoiled by wizards. In the OSD display there is no quick way to set it up. So I pulled out the manual and started reading. Its fairly easy to get the hang of it so I setup V1 and V2 (only using optical connections, and I put my gamecube in the analog audio for V1 to simplify remote setup).

Finally got it setup to where I can start using it. The next pain in the butt hit me when my MX-500 needed to be reprogrammed. So much work before I can even get this first sound. I was becoming more and more frustrated. The anticipation had been building to a boiling point. It was my first date with my new baby and I had all the excitement to go w/ it. (dont tell my fiance I said that)

I decided to do the remote incrementally, I had to hear my new baby!

I even put off to calibrating it until tonight because I was almost 2 hours into this change-over.

Turned the TV on and... no sound. what did I do wrong? went back into the OSD and realized I setup V1 to coax instead of optical. Was in too much of a hurry so I fixed it and went back to my first listening with my stuff.

Cable came back on (had to switch from composite to component) and selected V1. The anticipation was so great that I was on the edge of my seat. changed it to HBOHD and in came Dolby Digital 5.1. Dumb movie, but I got sound.

the first thing I notice is clearity. A clearity I didn't realize I was missing.

So immediately I combed my DVD's and pulled out blade 2. Ive never heard DTS, so I chose DTSES as my first preview. I fumbled through my remotes to get the dvd player working and started the movie.

WOW! I felt like I hit the jackpot on christmas morning. W/o being calibrated, the sound was awesome! depth. color. the dtses track used my rears like I always dreamed of. I was in the movie. People talk about not being able to tell about the sound coming from the speaker. I reached it. home theater surround sound nirvannah.

I highly recommend this receiver to anyone and everyone in the 1000$ range! It is highly expandable and upgradeable even (sorry, my snaggletooth impression doesnt have the same effect on msg board). In looking at both the 1055 and 1066, I dont really understand why one would go w/ the 1066 because you pay more and you still need an external amp. They use the same processor. I would probably recommend the 1055 and an external amp over the 1066 and use the extra money on cabling, but thats me.

Hope I didnt bore you and lose your attention by this point.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Bore us? No way. Glad the receiver is working out for you and great review. Keep on posting.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I apologize for my bad grammar. I was writing in a hurry.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

That's ok you should see my spelling Next time though maybe leave out the HomeTheaterSpot reference

Comment

• italia
          • Sep 2003

Great Review. Thank you for the WHOLE story. It really conveyed the emotion and made me even happier with my decision on the 1055.

On a sad note... Are you serious about the back order on the silver? 8O I ordered mine last week and it is supposed to be here sometime next week. I hope I am not going to have to wait until October.

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

yep. October is what I was told. We have 2 dealers here locally and they both stocked the black models. I guess thats the default order. I didn't think I would like the black, but I really don't mind it at all, and the extra savings was well worth it for me.

Comment

• jazzzione
              • Sep 2003

Being a recent owner of the 1055 I concur with you whole heartedly. I too made the same decision to go with 1055 vice the 1066. It just seemed to make sense. I could not tell a difference since I do not have the experience ---so financially I used the money saved on cables like you referred. As for DTS, WOW I finally was able to hear it for the first time last night, just impressive. Great post.

Comment

• Greg K
                • Jul 2003

Just picked up a 1055 this morning...WOW.. very happy with it,and they had a silver one in stock.Funny, its the first time I picked silver over black.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"