X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

2-Channel on 1068

Hello All,

While listening to CD's (PCM 2CH), my subwoofer doesn't come on. All DVDs, SACD, DVD-AUDIO & all HDTV shows the sub kicks right in. How do I get the sub to kick in while listening to CD's? I'm using a Yamaha CDC-506 CD player.

June
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • lars
    • Feb 2005

Hello June,

Your sub won't come on if there's nothing for it to play; with the 2 channel output you would need to use a digital manipulation like Dolby which takes the 2 channels and breaks them out into more channels, one of which would be the sub.

- Lars

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
      • May 2004

Hi June,

First make sure that your subwoofer settings have the subwoofer turned on for STEREO/MPEG. Go to SUB SETUP on your main menu, and check that all of the sound formats which you want to use the subwoofer are set to aprox. 0 (this is then menu where you can adjust your sub's output for different formats - many people turndown the sub 1 or 2 db in DTS or turn up DD for movies). Once you have set the STEREO/MPEG output level (0 Db is a good start), you may exit the menu.

Second, the CD input has a choice for STEREO, or BYPASS. Your sub will only kick in if you select STEREO. This is accomplished by pushing the 2Ch button under the cover of your remote which will switch between STEREO and BYPASS. Hope this helps, because your 1068 will allow you to use the sub with 2 Ch stereo.

Cracking!
      Last edited by Cracking Oboe; 21 February 2005, 13:45 Monday.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Also in the speaker setup, if you have the mains set up for Large with Stereo/PCM then you won't get any information to the sub. So make sure to set your speakers to small. This will then push the information below the crossover point to the sub. I found out with my mains, I actually don't like the sub playing (with my other setup -- Yamaha receiver) I only liked the sub playing, couldn't stand it all going to the main speakers.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
          • May 2004

Clarification and some unsolicited advice

Very important point Pewter.

June,

I also should have asked first (before I replied to your question): Are you using the digital output from your CD player (digital cable) or analogue outputs (a pair of RCA cables)?

My first suggestion should be enough if you are using just the digital output.

My second suggestion will be relevant only if you are using the analogue outputs from your CD player.

Unsolicited:

If you are using only the RCA (Analogue) outputs of your CD player, you may want to understand what is happening when you select BYPASS or STEREO on the RSP 1068, and what is the best set-up (IMHO) when you want to listen to anything other than 2CH BYPASS with your CD player.

When you select BYPASS: Your CD player is converting the Digtal source signal (the CD) to Analogue, and then sending this signal via a pair of analogue RCA cables to the 1068 which is sent directly to the amplifier. (D to A - GOOD! - EXCELLENT... if your CD player has a very good quality D/A converter)

When you select STEREO (or any Surround Modes), when using the analogue RCA outputs from your CD player: The Digital signal is being converted to Analogue in the CD player, which is then converted back to Digital in your 1068, then back to Analogue to produce the subwoofer signal (or surround formats). (The digital signal is being converted from D to A, then A to D, then D back to A - Not so Good .)

I avoided this problem (when I want to listen to 2Ch with the sub or use any surround modes) by adding a digital coaxial cable from the CD player to my Coaxial 2 digital input on the 1068. I assigned the Coaxial 2 input to a different (unused) Source, in my case Video 3. Now when I want to listen to 2ch stereo with the subwoofer on (or any surround modes) I select Video 3. The digital signal from the source (CD) is being sent directly from the CD to the 1068, and then the 1068 converts it to analogue. (D to A -GOOD!)

I hope this helps you in some way.

Cracking!

Comment

• june
            • Feb 2005

Thanks

C.O.,

Thanks, every thing you told me worked. Also I'm using an optical cable from my CD player to the 1068.

june
            June
            "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"