This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadow 8
    • Aug 2004

The difficulty is finding the balance between where you receive benefits and when you are just throwing extra money with no performance gain.[/QUOTE]

Actually, this part is the easiest. Just listen and compare. If it sounds better, then compare price and benefit and decide if you want to buy. If you have to really question and think about the benefit, then don't buy.

Comment

• Pookie007
      • Apr 2006

But for it to be a valuable comparison, the cables would need to be tested as part of your system. Comparing products in the showroom probably won't be an accurate representation of the results you will achieve in your home. The dealers in my area have gear for in home tests but don't have demo cables available. I probably have spent enough money that they would try and help me out, but it isn't normal operating procedure for them.

So the reason I think it is difficult deciding the benefit, is the only power connection that matters is the one between the actual equipment and your wall. There are other things in the equipment area that contribute to the noise that could be picked up. How do you simulate this in a showroom? For my setup, I spent $3k on electrical upgrades when I bought my house in improve the power quality available at the wall for my audio equipment. This made a noticeable difference. I added some PS Audio power cables and gained nothing. I moved these same cables to my work apartment and when connected between my line conditioner and equipment I heard a difference in a cleaner sound. So how do you decide if you have achieved the maximum benefit with a $100 cable or if you need the $1000 cable without testing them in your home?

Comment

• shadow 8
        • Aug 2004

I do not have your problem since any cable my dealer has in stock I can take home for home trial. Would not buy one otherwise. The Cable Company offers a comparable program with much greater choice of cables, but there are fees involved.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Threads with the intent of exploring every cable name under the sun are not allowed according to the rule guys, please let the branding cease here... While not everyone has done so here, I do sense this as an opportunistic thread, and that is not allowed.

As to CAT making them, I've considered it, but it seems everyone generally wants you to sell the basic Belden/wattgate cable, and sell them cheap, and I can't do that. I am simply not interested in long hours to build cables, and do it for my health... So, I've stayed clear. Originally, I also stayed clear of electricity for a reason, I am not an engineer or an electrician, so I think it's rather riskly to build power cables. IF I built them, I would likely have an electrical contractor do the actual building of them...

thank you.
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Nuthed
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by DrJRapp
            I use the ones that came with My Rotel components. There is no proven evidence, including several double blind tests done with ultra high end equipment and excruciatingly expensive power cords that reveal that upgrading power cords yeilds any tangable sonic benifit. Of course you may have money buring holes in your pockets and just have to have the latest and greatest useless accessory, so go out and buy the most expensive ones you can buy.
            Don't get too far ahead of the game. Plenty of double blind ABX tests have "proven" there is no audible difference between any amplifier that is not clipping. We Rotel owners know this is not true, so how can you positively say that no one can hear an audible difference in power cords? I'm not saying anybody truly can or can't and I have never tried but I like to keep an open mind.
            Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
            RB980-BX driving mains
            Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
            Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
            Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
            SVS PB-12

Comment

• Nuthed
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Marshal
              I can distinguish every single power cord in my system with blind listening and yes they make a huge difference. Problem here is that most people buy RB-1090 to blow their brains out with heavy metal music instead of serious listening of quality music. They don't even notice when someone changes CD, for them everything sounds the same.

If you use $1,000 power cord on some cheap Chinese receiver you will not hear any difference but if you use it on Krell, Levinson equipment then you will be astounded.
              To be fair, with what Krell and Levinson cost they SHOULD put some damn awesome cables in the box. :B
              Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
              RB980-BX driving mains
              Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
              Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
              Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
              SVS PB-12

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"