X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

cinema eq on the rsx1056 ?

What does it really do.I have played with the cinema eq on and off and really cant hear any differences.So my question what does it do or what is it for.Is it a useful function.The manual doesnt really explain its function.Thanks
  • emf
    • Jan 2005

When films are mixed for theaters, the center channel often gets a boost in the higher freqencies to counteract its placement behind the screen, which often dulls the sounds emanating from it. In the home environment, such sountracks can sound too bright, so many pre/pros and receivers have a cinema eq button to flatten them out. However, nowadays most soundtracks on DVD have already been re-mixed appropriately, rendering cinema eq unnecessary. If you run into a brittle soundtrack, you'll know it.

Ed

Comment

• basementjack
      • Dec 2004

My personal opinion is that it is an unbranded THX button.

THX rated receivers and preamps all feature a THX "Mode" which is documented to roll off the high frequencies from the front speakers (as emf just gave a good explanation of)

Nowadays, it seems like just about every receiver that is not "THX certified" comes instead with "Cinema EQ"

There are other requirements/specifications a receiver has to have to get a THX certification, and the current crop of Rotel equipment satisfies all of them that I am aware of.

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

I'll second what basementjack2 said. In my experience, turning on the THX option (I have a Pioneer w/ THX Select) has a similar effect to enabling CinemaEQ on the Rotel (my new RSP-1068). I watched movies almost always with THX on for the first year or so, but then started experimenting with the straight dts and Dolby Digital. I listen strictly to the straight signal now, and find that it seems to be a bit more robust with a little more excitement or 'pop' that I'm looking for while watching movies. I will most likely never use CinemaEQ on the Rotel.
        Brad

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"