X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Noddy
    • Dec 2004

1056, 1067 video up conversion??

I have replaced my yamaha 2400 receiver which upconverted all sources to component and did a nice job of it too.

Now i have a Rotel 1056 receiver and my wife and i thought we could get by with our digital tv not being up converted to component on a 100" screen but after a couple of weeks of viewing we can't get used to the ordinary pq.

1. Does the US 1056 receiver have up conversion of all s-video and composite sources?

2. More importantly how is the up conversion on the 1067?

If it does a good job of it i may swap the 1056 and upgrade to the 1067.

thanks, Matt
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The 1067 will look the same as the 1056, 1068 and 1098 from what I've seen. I'm not sure what you mean though about the ordinary pq? Are you expecting the image to improve by being upconverted? Video up conversion does not mean that the image is being scaled up to a higher resolution source it simply means its been converted from one video input to another for sake of ease of use. If you really wanted to improve the picture quality a iScan would be what you would need as its a true scalar. That said upconverting a low resolution cable image isn't going to help that much when you blow it up to 100" as the source quality just isn't good enough.

Comment

• Noddy
      • Dec 2004

First of all I have very limited knowledge on image quality, scaling, image scalers and pretty much anything in this area.

I find that there is a noticeable difference in pq with std digital TV from when I had the Yamaha 2400 to the rotel 1056, I thought it was the fact that there is no up conversion on the 1056, so I’m not sure why there is such a difference in pq.

I have a set top box which receives our std definition digital TV, we do have High Definition digital TV as well but the set top box for that signal is more expensive and there is not a lot of content being transmitted anyway.

The std definition digital improvements are that it cleans up the analog picture with no shadowing or grain and is in widescreen format depending on what’s show/program is transmitted.

So now instead of being a nice smooth picture I used to have it is now as grainy as the analog signal. Only thing that has been changed is the receiver to a 1056.

What do think???

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

The 1056 has the same type of upconversion as the Yamaha. Anything in and everything component out.

That said, myself and several others have had issues with Rotel's conversion techniques. There's several situations that result in a worse signal going through the conversion vs going out the same way it came in.

Connect the same type cable as the DTV box (either composite or svideo) from the monitor out to a different input on the TV and see if it looks like it should.

Regardless of how much you know about all this, rest assured the Yamaha would not make the picture any better what so ever. The Rotel however has been shown that it could make it worse..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Noddy
          • Dec 2004

Maybe that is the case, the Rotel is making pq worse. I cannot check this myself as my gear is in a rack which i cannot move myself so i will have to wait till the rep comes out to install my turntable.

He musn't know too much about the in's and out's of Rotel receivers because i have queried him before on this point and he said there wasn't any up conversion 1056.

Comment

• basementjack
            • Dec 2004

I felt the up conversion on my 1056 improved the picture a bit - it is hard to say for sure, as the only way to compare is to switch inputs on the projector - so it could be a cable issue, but in general, I am pleased with the way DirecTV looks on the projector using S-video out of the DirecTivo box to the 1056, and component cables from the 1056 to the projector.

I have noticed that the upconverted picture is brighter - that's welcome on my projector, but I think it could over saturate some other TV types.

Comment

• angelo
              • Aug 2004

I don't know if anyone else is experience this, but my 1056 is doing component up-conversation from a s-video direct-tv tivo/receiver. When changing the channel the pq gets very distorted occasionally. It usually, but not always, happens when I have been watching TV for a while. If I go direct to the TV then the pq is crystal clear. I originally thought that it was a bad Hard Drive in the direct-tv tivo, so I had the unit replaced and the new one is also doing the same. I also tried a regular (non tivo) direct-tv receiver and the same thing happens. I am really frustrated because this was one of the selling points for me when considering the 1056 over the 1055 due to claims of better pq according to my dealer.

Any ideas of help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• basementjack
                • Dec 2004

You're dealer was only half right.

It's called video transcoding. It's not up conversion.

Video transcoding - disect a video signal, breaking it in to it's respective parts for transmision over 3 cables used by component video.

Video up conversion - Analyze a video signal - usually digitally- using logic to piece the alternate halfs of the interlaced source to form a signal image, sometimes adding additional options such as resizing to a new resolution (ie to 720P

Trasncoding doesn't by itself lead to better quality, however component video is a better transmission system than S-Video, and since transcoding is output via component, the signal recieved at the destination is likely to be better than it's s-video counterpart.

The number one benefit of transcoding is convenience for users (assuming they connect with component video cables, if not, they aren't using the transcoding in the first place!) is that they don't have to change inputs on the TV to see the rotel's on screen menu, nor do they have to do it to view non-component sources.

Does this make sense?

Comment

• angelo
                  • Aug 2004

Yes, Thank you.

I did try going direct to the TV via composite cable from the DirectTV box and it seems that the video quality was a bit better.

As you stated, the only problem with that is you lose the OSD.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"