X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • voxy
    • Jan 2005

1068/1075 with Sonus Faber GP

Hello all...

I am right now assembling my Rotel equipments and new speakers. I would like to know if the combo of 1068/1075 is able to drive these speakers. I heard that they require "good 2 channel amps" like bryston to bring the best out of them. Please share with me your experience as I like the looks of the Sonus Faber though sound wise it requires far more tuning compare to the B&W speakers. Thank you.
  • Taito
    • Sep 2004

Hi voxy, be very careful with speaker choice - it has the greatest effect on the sound of your system. I auditioned a pair of Sonus Faber GP's a few weeks ago with my RCD-1072/RC-1070/RB-1080. Although I liked their warm, smooth nature, they lacked the detail and dynamic ability of the VAF Research I-66's (in my opinion) that have been at the top of my list for a while now. This is not to say they were bad, they were really nice - just not what I personally am after.

If you have decided that these are they speakers for you (and you'll likely know when you hear them - looks MUST be second to sound), then demo them with a 1075 and compare the combo to that of a more powerful amp like the 1080/1095 and SF GPs.

Can you hear a difference? No - don't worry
    Yes - decide how important that difference is to you and take approprate action

Listen to your dealer's advice, but don't be pushed into anything. Audition, Audition and Audition - it may take longer, but being sure is worthwile. There are many good speakers (and amplifers, for that matter) within your price range.

-Ben

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by voxy
      Please share with me your experience as I like the looks of the Sonus Faber though sound wise it requires far more tuning compare to the B&W speakers.
      I've listened to Grand Piano Home speakers through a number of Rotel amplifiers ( RB-1090 2x380w, RB-1080 2x200w, and RMB-1075 5x120w). I don't think any amp had problems driving these speakers, although I thought the sound was a bit "polite". Maybe that's just the Sonus Faber sound.

--Geoff

Comment

• Taito
        • Sep 2004

Hi hired goon (and sorry to go off topic voxy), have you had a decent listen to the I-93's yet? What are your thoughts?

-Ben

Comment

• voxy
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by hired goon
          I've listened to Grand Piano Home speakers through a number of Rotel amplifiers ( RB-1090 2x380w, RB-1080 2x200w, and RMB-1075 5x120w). I don't think any amp had problems driving these speakers, although I thought the sound was a bit "polite". Maybe that's just the Sonus Faber sound.

--Geoff
          I had just audition these speakers and they sound detail and dynamic. The only problem is that the imaging and sound stage is lacking a bit. I think I still prefer the sound of BW 704 compare to the GP. But the finishing of the GP is really fantastic. I also tried the Thiel 2.4 and 1.6 but I think the GP are far better. I will bring my amp to audition all 3 b4 making a decision.

BTW, the GP are 3 way not 2 1/2 way, which is good value for money compare to other speaker within this price range.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

BTW, the GP are 3 way not 2 1/2 way, which is good value for money compare to other speaker within this price range.
            Honestly that has absolutly nothing to do with sound quality...designing a crossover for 3 ways is harder to do properly then it is for 2 ways and you'd be surprised at how many 3 ways don't sound as good as some of the better 2 ways. Point being the number of drivers used isn't a reflection of the end result.

As for the amps in question if I were to guess I'd say the 1075 would be more then up to the task for home theater applications and do a comendable job for music. Stepping up to the 1080 would help the low end a great deal for music and be worth the cost if music is a priority...which it very likely is if you're looking at this type of speaker.

Comment

• Bostonears
              • Mar 2004

the GP are 3 way not 2 1/2 way, which is good value for money compare to other speaker within this price range.
              Of the two woofers on each Grand Piano Home speaker, one is full range below the tweeter crossover (about 3kHz), and the other has a separate lower crossover to reproduce only from about 200Hz on down. Since both of the woofers handle 200Hz and below, it's not a true 3-way design, hence the designation as 2-1/2 way.

I had just audition these speakers and they sound detail and dynamic. The only problem is that the imaging and sound stage is lacking a bit.
              I use a pair of the original Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Pianos (the predecessors to the current GP "Home" model). I'm running them with the RSP-1068 and using four of the six channels on an RMB-1066 amp to bi-amp the speakers. (Technically this is pseudo-biamping, because I have not added a crossover prior to the amp.) For people who consider SF speakers to be somewhat mellow, the bi-amping greatly improved the dynamic characteristic of the sound compared even to when I had them bi-wired with the same RMB-1066 and the four channels bridged to two (so the same amount of total power output was used). Note, however, that the newer Grand Piano Home speakers do not have bi-wire/bi-amp capable terminals.

On the imaging and sound stage, I notice that the Grand Pianos are quite sensitive to positioning. Specifically, I toe them inward such that their axes cross in front of the listener. When set up this way, the imaging snaps into amazingly crisp focus. The necessary amount of toe in probably varies with the room, but in my case, it's about 30 degrees, which is rather extreme. Very minor changes in the toe in make big differences in the imaging. Also, SF speakers required plenty of space behind them, at least two feet between them and the wall, for proper imaging. When the positioning is just right, these speakers achieve that magic disappearing act, where the sounds seem to float in space unrelated to the locations of the speakers. I used to own a pair of Magnepan planar speakers, and the imaging of my properly positioned Grand Pianos is almost as good, although the sound stage isn't as large.
              Last edited by Bostonears; 26 January 2005, 13:03 Wednesday.

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                • May 2004

Sonus Faber / Rotel - would that look and sound sweet!

Hi Voxy,

The nice thing about Sonus Faber is that you'll never suffer from "listener fatigue". Reviews of my speakers (not S.F.) also seriously cautioned readers that they needed quality source electronics. I ended up purchasing the 1068/1095 combo. I can only say that Rotel has met or exceeded my speakers requirement for good source electronics. This pairing will not add to any listener fatigue which Sonus has worked hard to eliminate, and the set-up should sound great.

You are already investing some significant money into your system, surely you could consider the RMB 1095 over the 1075? You would not be dissapointed.

Cracking!

Comment

• voxy
                  • Jan 2005

Hi guys, thank you for the response. I had the 1075 now so I guess I will stick to it and upgrade to a 2 channel amp from the used market. In Singapore, some forumers claim that Plinius matches the GP with excellent results. However I think I will opt for a 1080 or 1090 instead. What is your opinion?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Plinius makes a very nice product...kinda ugly but nice

Comment

• voxy
                      • Jan 2005

Hi guys

I finally decided to take the plunge and have not regretted since. :T

I had just hook up the set and is still waiting for the 1068 / 1075 to run in. But for the time being, the system sound lush in the voice department, detail and warm. The soundstage has open up and now the Sonus Faber sings like never before. Basically I set the system to bypass which sound much much superior from the on board 1068 DAC

The Rotels has absolutely to problem driving these speakers. In fact, my first impression is "total control". Everything becomes tight, drums, bass, accoustics are reproduce close to the "real" thing :B

Overall I would rate the setup slightly on the warm side. BTW,, I had all the power cord change and this has given the music a darker background.

My set up:

Speakers - SF GP Home, SF solo home
                      Amp: 1068 / 1075
                      Source: 1070
                      Cables:
                      speaker: Ecosse M2.3, IC: Ecosse Diva, PC: DHlab for source and AFA for amp.

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                        • May 2004

Way to go Voxy! :T

It's tough to make these decisions.
                        It's great when after you've made them, you have no regrets!
                        arty:

I'm very happy for you.

Cracking!

Comment

• voxy
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Cracking Oboe
                          Way to go Voxy! :T

It's tough to make these decisions.
                          It's great when after you've made them, you have no regrets!
                          arty:

I'm very happy for you.

Cracking!
                          Hi Oboe

I am glad that I did not swayed by some of the comments made in other forums about Rotel sucks when paired with SF (not here). Basically I guess some of these people base their judgement on the old Rotels and SF. The current design from these 2 companies had eliminated those weakness and they are comfortable with most electronics. I had previously use a friend's NAD integrated 310 amps to drive the SF before I settle on Rotels and the NAD had no problem to drive them though it was class apart. So I figured the Rotels with a higher RMS and current should bring at least decent sound from them.

I had actually wanted to use 1095 but figured I would go all the way for a 7.1 so I opt for 1075 and in my next upgrade would be a 1080. This way, I would get additional 2 dedicated channels with about the same cash outlay. If not I could get a used Bryston/ Krell for the front though I guess there would be some tonal difference. What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"