Through „12 V-triggers connection“ worse sound?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony
    • Jun 2004

Through „12 V-triggers connection“ worse sound?

Hello,

my Rotel 1075 is with my Rotel 1068 by 12 V trigger cable connected, so that both devices switch themselves on successively, so soon the 1068 is switched on. The function is really completely practical. Now my dealer meant however that the 12 V trigger cable affects bad the sound. He meant that cable would "take" sound! I accepted the statement times in such a way, since I did not want to lead a discussion, about which I did not have notion.

Now, he is right and if, why? Or simply only again Voodoo imbecility?

Tony
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

I never heard such a thing.One has nothing to do with the other.

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

The only reasoning I can see is if you run the 12V trigger cables across other wires, i.e. speaker, or interconnects, otherwise I would vote no.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Bostonears
        • Mar 2004

Most people experience no audio problems whatsoever using the 12 volt trigger. Frankly, I would seriously question the abilities of any dealer that makes a blanket statement that the trigger adversely affects the sound quality. However, that is not to say that it is impossible for the trigger to cause problems.

One possible problem would be a ground loop through the trigger cable, causing hum in the system. I had this happen with one of my (non-Rotel) amps connected to the Rotel trigger. To solve the problem, I disconnected the negative portion of the trigger wire. (The amp was already receiving a ground through the RCA interconnect.) Now, trigger works great and no hum.

Comment

• ht_obsessive
          • Jan 2005

Theoretically there are certain electronic components which function better if kept 'warm' by being constantly powered up.

A 'triggered' power amp gets to go cold when the trigger is off, the electronics must then warm up each time the trigger goes 'on'.

Maybe the dealer meant that sound quality suffers in this way?

Comment

• Elvis
            • Jan 2005

The trigger affects sound in no way unless there is a defect.

Comment

• Raphie
              • Nov 2004

Rotel Technician (HANEX Rotel's service org) even told me that the 12 volt trigger helps grounding (and thus avoiding loops) as well.

Comment

• H.Donald
                • Aug 2004

This could be the start of an all new thread..."bad advice from dealers"..or
                "sales people who know less than you".This reminds me of a phone conversation I had with a salesperson a few weeks ago.I had been getting a great deal of buzz from my
                RMB 1095...after several cures,nothing was working to my sastisfaction.I called the dealer and spoke with one of the salesmen.He suggested using a cheater plug.I had read all the threads on this forum warning against using such plugs.Also,elsewhere on the net,I had found much advice against.Never the less,there he was recommending it's use.I even stated to him that the Rotel manual says do not use.Now,I dont know if he was busy and trying to get rid of me or if he really felt this was the best solution to my problem.But,he assured me it was "safe".I do know that it was not the person I normally dealt with at this dealer...but I felt "brushed off".As it turned out,my solution was to have the 1095 and rsp 1068 on different lines and all is quiet.I had forgtten about my lack of support until reading this thread.Who can you trust??

Comment

• Fishy
                  • Jul 2004

Funny I am going to pickup my trigger cables tomorrow. Should I really go and get them?

Fish

Comment

• H.Donald
                    • Aug 2004

The triggers work great...

Comment

• Kyle
                      • Jan 2005

What kind of cables do you guys use? I just picked up a $3 radioshack mono 1/8th inch cable..
                      My gear

Comment

• hired goon
                        • Aug 2004

G'day,

Theoretically there are certain electronic components which function better if kept 'warm' by being constantly powered up.
                        Is the RB-1090 one such component?

What kind of cables do you guys use? I just picked up a $3 radioshack mono 1/8th inch cable..
                        Same here.

--Geoff

Comment

• Bostonears
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ht_obsessive
                          For most solid state amplifiers, the sonic impact of thermal changes (within the normal temperature range of households) is extremely subtle. I have a reference-grade solid state Marantz amplifier that includes an analog temperature gauge on the front panel, so the user can see when it's warmed up. I cannot detect sound quality changes with the equipment's temperature except at extremely high volume, and even then, it's barely noticeable. Tube amplifiers are another matter...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Right its more or less a theory held over from the early days when it was more a factor.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"