• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raptor
    • May 2004

1068 2CH Setup with Bass Mangement

Hi everyone,

Great forum!

I am having problems with bass not being strong enough (or muffled & not distinct or clear, boomy when levels turned up) when listening to certain cd tracks.

5CH seems to produce a lot more bass than 2CH stereo and sounds better. 5.1, & PLII both sound good on their own when played with their approapriate music.

I am wanting to know how everyone has setup there system when listening to CDs, in particular there bass management.

I have:

RSP-1068 Processor
    RMB-1075 AMP
    Loewe DVD Player
    Dali Suit 3.5 Fronts/Centre/Rears
    M&K V75MII Subwoofer

Good quality digital & analog RCA cables

All speakers set to Small
    Sub crossover 80 on Rotel
    Sub crossover 80 on Sub itself

Doing a sweep test, the sub appears to be strong in some areas and weak in others. Could this be a hit of a poor location for the sub? Should I buy that 12 meter sub cable so I can experiment?

Any thoughts most welcome! :T

Rich
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Placement can make a huge difference, so it may be a good idea to experiment. I recently moved my surrounds about 5 feet higher and this made a world of difference.

Comment

• Raptor
      • May 2004

Processor Setup

Soundhound,

Do you setup the processor the same way?

Raptor

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

As far as 2 channel I use the analog pass thru, I use Klipsch RF's and they dont need a sub for music. I have a Rotel RMB-1075 for the center, surrounds, and rear centers, and use an RB-1070 for the fronts. The monsterous bass is great for flicks, but can get a bit overpowering for tunes, to the point where it doesn't sound natural. Although I do have a few cd's that were recorded bass heavy but the Klipsch handle it quite well w/o the sub. I set my mains to large and cross them over @ 100 hz and like the way movies sound as such in my room. Hope this helps, Bob
        P.S. I also just swapped out my Klipsch sub last friday for an SVS and this was a huge improvement. It is much more controlled and accurate than the Klipsch was.

Comment

• rick c
          • Aug 2004

Raptor, if your using crossover(80)in the rotel i believe you should not set the crossover at the sub.You should set it all the way over or disable it.I'm sure someone with more expertise can jibe in but i think i'm correct.

Comment

• Raptor
            • May 2004

Thanks Ric c,

If I use the Rotel & set 80, how would I disable the sub crossover? Do you mean turn it down to the lowest freq on the crossover dial on the sub?

Still a little confused? 8O ? :roll:

Does anyone else do this for stereo listening?

Would appreciate any new ideas or explainations.

Rich

Comment

• alkalay
              • Jun 2004

Hi Raptor,

I would also say placement.

I have recently moved my mains and sub a bit closer to the wall and it made a huge difference.

If I may step in here, yes rick meant you should turn the dial all the way down and better, if you have that option, disable the crossover dial. (Some subs have a button that does that).

As for your q: I have all speakers crossed over at 80Hz except for the mains being crossed at 60Hz. I have tried the 80Hz but found out that 60 works better in music which is about 90% for me.

Itai.

Comment

• dermie999
                • Jul 2004

Hi Raptor,

I had similar problems that I fixed by two things:

(a) I got a good set of speakers.
                (b) I set the speakers to large on music and stereo.

I don't know whether its me or not but I just don't find using the subwoofer for bass on music to be strong enough - the music seems to lack bass. Setting the speakers to large gives me crisp, clear and strong bass.

I have a similar setup to yours so it could be worth a go. It can't hurt to try it and if your ears like it then continue to use it. If large works for music and stereo then don't worry about the subwoofer crossover - nothing is sebt to the subwoofer anyhow.

Trevor

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"