X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Po\/\/er
    • Jan 2005

1055 & 1056 hiss?

As per my previous threads, I recently discover Rotel and so far I am verry impressed and interested. I fond only good comments and reviews, at the exception of the hiss problems. 1st is a general hiss when playing lound, during low passage, 2nd is a hiss comming from the other speakers when playing 2ch.

6.1# Has this been proven to be a problem with the 105x, or always trace back to a bad unit or setup?

6.2# If it his an actual problem, how noticable and frequent it is?

Thanks,
  • Bob Knarly
    • Mar 2004

Yes,this is an actual problem(hiss)that is.It hisses from all channels all the time,regardless of 2ch,low volume,high volume etcc,of course so does the 1067 and 1068,although to a lesser extent.The good news is this is not very noticeable exept on speakers w/great upper freq response,even then its only a minor trade off for great sound otherwise.

Comment

• Noddy
      • Dec 2004

I have a 1056 and yes it has a hiss from 3db and up, once it is at 51db and up it get slightly worse. I have Klipsch reference speakers which will obviously be worse than the majority with their pronounced HF.

The only time it becomes annoying is when it playing two channel music. As i walk to the back of my room to my av rack which is near by left rear speaker the hiss is very noticable.

Will i send this receiver back to rotel?

Probably not, although i would like to see if the 1067 is any better in regards to this issue. This combo is awesome producing fantastic mult channel and two channel sound. If i stick with this receiver I am going to add another two channel amp and i'll have the best of both worlds.

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

Gentlemen, I can't help but jump in. I have a 1068 and Klipsch RF speakers, and @ 0, dead silent. After reading the previous posts, I selected an unused source, ran it up to 76, and @ 1.5 feet, nothing. From there on in it became apparent. I am in a 15 x 16 x 8 room, from any listening position in the room hiss has never been an issue. Between music tracks @ 61 - 63 I don't hear a thing, and that's about all the louder I (we) can take music b-4 leaving the room. Movies is another story, but again hiss has never been an issue.

Comment

• Bob Knarly
          • Mar 2004

Noddy,congrats,you get it,its 2ch that is the real problem.Rotel should shut off any unused channels,such as when listening to 2ch.NO signal,pre/pro noise should go to center and rears.

Comment

• Po\/\/er
            • Jan 2005

As soundhound indicated, he did not noticed any hiss on his 1068, does anybody with the 1068 have the hiss problem. If yes maybe soundhound setup is the key to resolving the problem?

Also is this a problem specific to Rotel at that price point or common on other brand?

Comment

• Bob Knarly
              • Mar 2004

You may want to take into consideration we don't know what the hearing range is for everyone.I can tell you anyone thats ever been in my presents can hear the hiss,that includes dealers,on units in their set ups.I just want to say this ONE more time,for the 10th time,the problem for me is Rotel does NOT shut off unused channels when listening in 2 ch and the unused channels hiss.I may be crazy but I think ANY channel not being used should be muted,as every other unit I have ever owned does.

Comment

• Noddy
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Bob Knarly
                You may want to take into consideration we don't know what the hearing range is for everyone.I can tell you anyone thats ever been in my presents can hear the hiss,that includes dealers,on units in their set ups.I just want to say this ONE more time,for the 10th time,the problem for me is Rotel does NOT shut off unused channels when listening in 2 ch and the unused channels hiss.I may be crazy but I think ANY channel not being used should be muted,as every other unit I have ever owned does.
                ^^^^^^^^^Agreed, before deciding on the Rotel gear i had a yamaha 2500, denon 3805 and a nad t773 on trial. The only one to have a noticeable hiss was the nad t773. I can't recall if it was in all speakers when in two channel mode.

Comment

• rick c
                  • Aug 2004

I have the rsx1056 and i checked to see if i got a hiss in 2 channel and i did not.I dont get any hiss at all.

Comment

• USBeauty
                    • Jan 2005

No hiss on the 1068 in two channel mode for me.
                    Friends don't let friends listen to compressed music.

Comment

• Ocelot
                      • Nov 2004

I have a 1056, and my center and rears hiss when in 2 channel mode

Comment

• srb
                        • Oct 2004

RSX-1056 - I have noticeable hiss from center and rears when in 2-channel Bypass.

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                          • Mar 2004

Now we're gettin' somewhere,its no wonder Rotel won't acknowledge this issue but soon it won't matter because everyone else(almost)will.I know it must be cofusing for anyone thats reading this,does it?does'nt?IT DOES,don't believe it?just try one first.

You know,someday I will be selling my Rotel,why would I keep doggin' the issue if I were not sure,its not makin' it any easier to sell.The reason is whether I'm stuck w/it the rest of my life or not it hissses,every one I've ever heard,in several states.I've actually been hoping I could find just one that don't hiss from all ch in 2ch mode,then I could make Rotel fix mine,no luck after almost a year of going to any dealers evertime I travel out of town.

Comment

• shadow
                            • Dec 2003

Mine has NO hiss in two channel or any other mode.

Comment

• ThomasJ
                              • Dec 2004

I get a hiss from center and surrounds in 2 channel mode. It is only audible when very close(1.5 feet). It is not noticeable from the listening posisiton at all. The snapping is though.

Comment

• soundhound
                                • Mar 2004

Shadow, maybe you could invite Bob Knarley over to give a listen TO PROVE THEY DO NOT ALL HISS. I for one have to believe for the kind of scratch people spend on these goodies if there indeed were noise floor issues Rotel would be long gone. They have developed far to a loyal of following to make me believe they have "issues" and won't address them. Being this is sure to get a reaction I will ask what do people have their tone control set at? Mine is flat on bass and treble both. Are people running e.q's with the high end dialed up? What type of speakers are used? I only ask all of the above because I would hate to see a newcomer contemplating Rotel turned away because they read on the net that Rotel has noise issues that they won't acknowledge.

Comment

• shadow
                                  • Dec 2003

I am not about to tell Bob what he hears, but on my Martin Logan speakers I get no hiss, unless I put my ear within six inches of the tweeter in the center channel, at which point it is barely audible. BTW, every other receiver pre/pro I have had in my system (Denon, Yamaha, B&K) had at least as much noise at idle as the Rotel, and none had less as I remember. It was never an issue with any of them. No noise at all in the surrounds. :P

Comment

• Can1
                                    • Nov 2004

My RSX-1056 does not hiss at all on all channels even at full volume, infact it is dead quiet if nothing is playing. I use Dynaudio 72SE for the front and 52SE for the rest.

Comment

• Po\/\/er
                                      • Jan 2005

Since I started this mess, let my try to bring some resolution. Please reply by cut and past the section bellow then fill it up:

Model:
                                      Speakers:
                                      Source:
                                      Tone Flat (Y/N): Sub (Y/N): Line Filter (Y/N):
                                      Hiss (Y/N): If YES answer following questions:
                                      - When (Always/2CH):
                                      - Volume (Low/Med/High):
                                      - Distance (feet):
                                      - Noticeable from any listening posisiton (Y/N):
                                      - Compare to similar product from other brand (More/Less):

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                                        • Mar 2004

I can only say it hisses,I can't say everyone can hear it,everyone I know can,including dealers.All I advise is that potential buyers try it for themselves.

This is not a "noise floor issue"although the 1056 has some noise,1067/68 a little less.
                                        This IS a hiss,from center and surr,WHEN IN 2 CH MODE.I would think everyone would agree that in 2ch mode the center and surr should be mute.

Bose and Monster have a 'LOYAL FOLLOWING" whatever that is,none so blind as those that don't want to see.

My treble is set at -1,should I get speakers that can't reproduce the entire freq range?

The 1056 does not hiss at all even at full volume its dead quiet.............o....k...I think even the most zealous defender may think about that one.

Comment

• shadow
                                          • Dec 2003

Well, people can only be expected to report what they hear. Obviously, the noise problem you have has not caused you to sell your Rotel and get something else so in the scheme of things, you must feel the problem is relatively minor. It is even more minor to the point of zero to most users. BTW, if hiss is an issue it would be more related to speaker efficiency than treble extension. At reference level, the hiss I hear in the center is no louder than at 30 db less. h:

Comment

• rick c
                                            • Aug 2004

Has anyone ever thought that if that certain someone had'nt made you aware of a possible "hiss" that you would'nt of noticed it.So the only reason you hear it now is because someone brought it to your attention.I know i never noticed it and so i did everything possible to see if i had the "hiss" and i'm very happy i don't,but if i did i probably would'nt care too much since i probably would'nt of noticed it unless i was made aware of it..
                                            Last edited by rick c; 19 January 2005, 12:44 Wednesday.

Comment

• Spurt
                                              • Apr 2004

Long time since the last time I posted in this forum.
                                              Since day one I have had this "hiss" problem from the back speakers in 2 ch. bypass mode. I have talked to Rotel and tryed another 1056. Both had the "hiss" problem.
                                              But I have accepted the "problem" as I like the Rotel sound.

Hint: With my old B&W back speakers I could hear the "hiss" 2 meters away, but with my new Ceratec (small speakers (because of the looks, not the sound Q! )) we are talking inch's (about 1-2).

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                                                • Mar 2004

The old ignorance is bliss theory,well I gotta agree,it is.Its true the hiss has not forced me to sell,only move to my 1056 to a spare room set-up not used for critcal listening.If hiss is coming from center and surr in 2ch its because the unit hisses and does not mute them,not because of speakers,they can only make it less or more.To those that do hear the hiss clearly,for one thing you have good hearing,sorry if I made you aware but thanks for your unbias input.

Spurt,I just read your post,thanks for your input,thats what I call informed and unbias.

Comment

• shadow
                                                  • Dec 2003

Hearing hiss has nothing to do with hearing acuity since it is primarily centered in the mids and upper mids, so anyone not deaf can hear it if he listens for it. Most of us do not hear it cause we don't have it and I am glad.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2002

Bob,

You could always run one of the 12v triggers to a speaker relay device on the center and rears. Whatever device you listen to 2ch on, don't activate that 12v tigger. Hack patch but it would work..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                                                      • Mar 2004

Kevin,thanks that is an idea,I wish Rotel would have implemented it.

Shadow,in case you did not notice half the people in this thread clearly hear the hiss,thats 50%,I think that would get my attention if I manufactured electronics.I'm certain it won't though cause Rotel NEVER responded at all to my complaint,at least my dealer tried.

Comment

• shadow
                                                        • Dec 2003

I agree that Rotel should address the issue if it is indeed widepread. I don't think the response to this thread constitutes a valid statistical sample.

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                                                          • Mar 2004

Shadow,I don't know about a valid sample but I can guarantee you this is becoming an issue many peolple considering Rotel are discussing.Thats really the shame of it cause Rotel has a really good sound otherwise.As usual though this issue won't get much attention higher until much damage has been done.If anyone thinks this issue won't do damage to the name in the long run,well we'll see,I think it already is.

I think the real reason this has bugged me so much is Rotel won't just say,yes it hisses from rear and center in 2ch on your unit and theres nothin' we can do about it.At least then I wouldn't feel like they just want to ignore this issue and hope it fades away,it will remain as long as there is an internet.

Of course the true test of this would have been Rotel seriously looking into this and disputing or confirming,I got neither when I contacted them.

Comment

• vonlarsson
                                                            • Jan 2005

I have I hiss in my 1068 all channels allways even in 2ch bypass. I think that a pre-amp in this pricerange schouldn´t have this... Wouldn´t a "real" 2ch-bypass be the simplest thing, just cut of rear and center when playing in bypass mode...

Comment

• soundhound
                                                              • Mar 2004

Many people run a multiple channel amp for the center/ surrounds/ rears. Then dedicate a 2 channel (or multiple for bi-amp/bi-wire) for the fronts, and given Rotels flexibility of 12v trigger assignments the only amp needed to be on for music would be the one driving the fronts, and wha-la open circuits for center/ surrounds/ rears.

Comment

• Elvis
                                                                • Jan 2005

I think Bob K is on to something here,I've heard the hissing from all channels also on my brothers 1056 in 2 channel mode.

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                                                                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vonlarsson
                                                                  I have I hiss in my 1068 all channels allways even in 2ch bypass. I think that a pre-amp in this pricerange schouldn´t have this... Wouldn´t a "real" 2ch-bypass be the simplest thing, just cut of rear and center when playing in bypass mode...
                                                                  THANK YOU,thats all I been trying to say for almost a year and it has(other than some owners)fallen on completely deaf ears.Rotel has NEVER adressed this issue but you and I and ALOT more have made it known.Now we know there is perfectly good reason Rotel won't address this,but what the heck is it?

Comment

• Po\/\/er
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2005

I decide to get the 1056 and see for myself...the result I also hear the hiss from the center and surround on bypass with no input and Volume maxed. The good news is that I only hear it when I am about 1 feet

A side note, switching to any other mode (stereo, 5.1, etc) with no input and volume maxed, you can hear a lot of hiss, makes you apreciate that bypass :T

Comment

• soundhound
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2004

That's good to hear (no pun intended), even the spendiest most elaborate system will have a certain amount of "noise" running full tilt w/o a signal present. On another side note poWer, your'e comments do imply that they do indeed address muting other channels in bypass.

Comment

• Elvis
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2005

Did you read the post?

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"