X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattCXII
    • Feb 2004

Rotel RB 1080 or Bryston 4B???

I am really confused. I need some asisstance on which 2 channel amp I should buy. I would obviously get the 1080 new which from the reviews from this forum is fantastic or I can get the Bryston 4B for a really good price but I haven't and can't get a chance to hear it.

I am upgrading to 7.1 and this will be the amp I will use for my Paradigm Monitor 5 fronts.

Both are 250 wpc amps and maybe I just need someone who has heard both amps to give me some advice.

Please provide me with honest advise!

Matt
    :roll:
  • Hoffa
    • Nov 2004

Ot:

OT: Noticed you are from Kitchener! Just curious as to where you are purchasing your equipment... The only Rotel dealer I know here is Steve's. Is the Bryston a local or an internet deal?

Back on topic, if you do go with the used Bryston, do you get any form of warrenty. Always a nice thing to have

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

Bryston has a 20 year warranty from date of manufacture, regardless of how many times the equipment changes hands.

Paul

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Obviously this is a Rotel forum and I wouldn't think of saying anything disparaging about them. Rotel is a great value and sounds very good. But Bryston is different. Different sound, etc. What you probably should do is try to go to a dealer that has both Bryston and Rotel amps and see if they have your Paradigms --- do a comparison for yourself.
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• MattCXII
          • Feb 2004

I would agree with you totally Jimmy,

The only problem is that is not an option for me. I can listen to the Bryston matched with the Paradigms but a different dealer carrys the Rotel. I currently own a Rotel RSP 1066 and a 1075 power amp. I am looking for the best value for a two channel amp for not only 2 channel sound but to advance into a 7.1 system.

I sent you a private message.

Thanks,

matt

Comment

• MattCXII
            • Feb 2004

Hoffa,

PM'd you.

Comment

• ht_addict
              • Dec 2002

Then your best option is buying used. Checkout the Canuckaudiomart for local used sellers.

ht_addict

Comment

• NMG
                • Oct 2004

I have an RB-1080 with my Paradigm Studio 80's and it is a great combo IMHO. I think you'll find that the Rotel is a little "warmer" sounding than the Bryston and I like how it matches up with my Paradigms. Either amp will easily handle your Monitor 5's.

My buddy had Bryston gear with his Studio 60's and to be quite honest, I found the combo a little too "clinical" for my liking. I didn't find the combo as "cozy" as mine if that makes any sense. It did have lots of detail and perhaps it was room acoustics coming into play as well, but I think I wouldv'e found the combo somewhat fatiguing after long listening sessions. I think allot will depend on your personal tastes. I'd really recommend a listening test if you could.

Both amps are high quality pieces so nothing to be concerned about there.

Comment

• Adz
                  • Jan 2004

Wow, I found almost the opposite as NMG. I found the Bryston neutral as compared to the Rotel which I found a bit harsh.
                  Adz

Comment

• NMG
                    • Oct 2004

Very interesting Adz. Do you remember what model Paradigm's you heard with the Bryston gear? There is quite a difference between the Monitor and the Studio speakers so perhaps that could explain some of the difference.

I'm pretty sure my buddy was using a 3BSST and a BP20 for the preamp. I found it quite bright but I should also add that it was in a room with hardwood floors and not a great deal of furnishings to absorb the sound. It definitely had loads of detail though.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Can't remember which forum I read this on but a respondent talked about speakers/speaker types and how certain speakers play to a certain audience (age-wise) due to their characteristics. He specifically mentioned Paradigm and how certain models are model geared toward younger listeners (20-40 year olds I believe) as they are 'brighter' (I know, we have a few 40-plus Paradigm owners that swear by Paradigms --- I think, again, it was model specific). He also talked about how our age plays a factor in speakers too and how over time some folks need to change out their speakers due to changes in their hearing.

Perhaps that is what lead you (NMG) to hear this as you did. Again, not here to bash Rotel nor praise Bryston but like many high-end amplifiers, Bryston is known for its neutrality as much as anything else.

Lets not forget that perhaps the transport may have played a factor too....

Comment

• Adz
                        • Jan 2004

I heard the Rotel and the Bryston on both Def Tech and B&Ws only.
                        Adz

Comment

• DrJRapp
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by MattCXII
                          I am looking for the best value for a two channel amp for not only 2 channel sound but to advance into a 7.1 system.
                          Once you say best value, many things come into play. One that comes to mind is resale values. I recently acquired a 1080 new from an authorized dealer for $825. I could probably sell it on Audigon now (or for that matter a year from now) for $700-$750 or about 85 to 90 percent of it's purchase price, should I decide to upgrade. Since I have never purchased a Bryston amp, I wouldn't know how strong their resale is. Perhaps JimmyP can comment?

From a personal perspective I find the 1080, 1075 combo hard to beat for 7.1.
                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• MattCXII
                            • Feb 2004

I can understand where you are coming from. I believe the Bryston Amps hold their value over the years. The amp I am looking at is near 9 years old and is selling for a grand. It had a MSRP of over 2. To me, that is a product that holds its value. Maybe what I should have said was that I am looking for the best product for my dollar. I haven't heard the Bryston amps and was just looking for some imput on how it compairs to the Rotel 1080 which is an amp I am very much considering.

Matt

Comment

• NMG
                              • Oct 2004

jimmyp58, you are quite correct. There could be many things that would impact the sound other than the amp itself. I agree with you completely about the quality of Bryston gear, it is fabulous for sure. I certainly didn't mean to imply that it wasn't quality stuff. I think the listening tests are important if you can do it in your own environment because there are lots of little things that could impact what you hear.

I think your comment about the Paradigms is also fair. They can be viewed as a "brighter" speaker by many, especially because of the metal tweeters. I know that I prefer the sound of my Studio's with my Rotel gear over my old Yamaha Integrated. The Rotel gear did tend to tame them a bit (especially at high volumes), yet still provides lots of accuracy on the top end. I'd even say that the accuracy is better without the harshness.

Comment

• MattCXII
                                • Feb 2004

I have made my decision and with that my purchase. I went to my local Rotel dealer and had a listen to the RB 1080, all and all, a very nice amp. I was a bit turned off of it by all of the problems with the mechanics of the unit that I have read about in this forum.

Off to my Bryston dealer. I had the oportunity to listen to the Bryston 4B SST and if I had the 4000 Canadian... I would have bought that beautiful piece of work in a heart beat. That amp had enough bottom end for anyone! The base was so tight and the high end I found very smooth but VERY revealing (sometimes too much). I loved this amp but had no chance of affording it so my dealer let me demo the Anthem Statement A2. This amp was much cheaper and after listening to the 4B SST it sounded flat and dead in the lows but had crisp solid highs. To say the least, I couldn't listen to it anymore.

My dealer pointed out that he had a 3B ST sitting around that he took on a trade. It is much less power than the Rotel, 4B sst and the A2 but I figured I would give it a listen. Holy Sh#t... I found my amp. This amp was amazing! Such unbelievably tight bass and a well defined sound stage and, best of all, well in my price range!

I would hate to forget to mention the 20 year transferable warrenty! There is still 13 years left on the warrenty on this unit. I don't know anyone these days who will warrenty their product for 20 years! Great Canadian made product!

I will no longer post in this forum on this topic since I went with the Bryston amp but thank you for everyones words of wisdom. I still love my 1066 and my 1075 but the Bryston 2ch amp compliments them in ways I have never heard. Truly a high end amp in all ways.

Matt

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2000

Congrats, you'll be more than happy with that Bryston for a very long time :T

If you ever find you need more power, you can always buy another one and put each in bridged mono mode, thus doubling the power of each amp. They still kick butt in that mode, as the THD is so low on a Bryston to begin with (0.005%), even doubling THD is insignificant.
                                  Bing

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

Congrats.....

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2003

Resale value on used equipment is a very interesting phenomenon in and of itself. Rotel amps really hold their value; I think because of their quality and the upfront pricetag to begin with. We would all agree I am certain that Rotel equipment is one of the best values available. Hence this, coupled with its low entry price, tends to hold its resale value. Other pieces of equipment aren't quite as fortunate. When I recently sold my RSP-1098 I was shocked how the resale value eroded so quickly especially after the release of the RSP-1068. So in comparison, my experience didn't hold as well as someone selling their Rotel amp.

I have seen the same with Bryston. Their SP 1.7 pre/pro (the one I have) already is showing evaporation on the resale market whereas their amps truly hold their value.

Perhaps I am seeing a trend here. Pre/pros don't hold their value as well as amps --- it does make sense when you think about it. Buy the right amp and it should last you many, many years. But what is the shelf-life of a pre/pro?!

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2000

Jimmy, I think amplifiers tend to have a longer service life than processors, thus the erroded value differentials.

The Pre/pros suffer from the evolving technology of newer sound formats, however a person can always keep his amplifier collection, and upgrade the Pre/pro, esp when you buy higher quality amplifiers. :T

I would have no qualms about buying and older amplifier, where as older Pre/pros would not sell as well to me as I would like the newer sound formats and features.

I had a chance to pick up a an older AVR32 Tag Mclaren at the time I bought my 1098. I chose the 1098 over the Tag just becuase of the newer features. The Tag is ledgendary in sound performance, however I think it was a case of diminished gains for me as I wanted the newer sound formats and features over the difference in SQ. The price of the Tag would have been slightly cheaper
                                        Bing

Comment

• NMG
                                          • Oct 2004

Congrats on the amp, it sounds like a beaut

I agree about the used equipment. I think allot of it has to do with the new technology, sound formats, input/output connections, etc., found in preamps and processors. I suppose they have more potential to get "outdated" (and thus more prone to upgrades) than a simple power amp. One you get those good power amps, I imagine they stay in your rack longer than other pieces.

Comment

• n3philim
                                            • Feb 2004

Congratulations on the Bryston. I myself use Bryston's for my power needs. I guess it really depends on the individual's tastes. I used to have a Rotel power amp as well. There are times when I do miss the Rotel sound. But lately I have preferred a clinical/detailed sound. I guess it just amazes me when I use the Brystons, of how much details I've missed in my cds. I'm starting to enjoy my older cds now. But then again, I also noticed how badly recorded my other cds are. Oh well ...

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

You are absolutely right Bing. With all the advances in technology, formats, etc., pre/pros don't hold the same value as amplifiers. I, too, would have no qualms about buying an older amplifier but a pre/pro is a different animal. I just picked up a Bryston pre-amp (BP25) to complement my Bryston SP 1.7. I had no problems doing this as it is an adjunct to my main processor. I got it for a great price but what was really great is that even though the original owner had it for three years, I still have 17 years left on the warranty because of Bryston's 20 year commitment. But I certainly wouldn't buy it for my main processor.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2000

Hey Jim, and seeing as you have such a nice collection of Brystons aready, you're set :T
                                                Bing

Comment

• n3philim
                                                  • Feb 2004

jimmy,

Quick question. Why the need for the BP-25? Doesn't the SP1.7 act like a BP-25 in by-pass mode? If I recall correctly, the SP1.7 shuts off its DSPs in by-pass mode. When done so, it is said to be identical to the BP-25.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"