X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jon SS
    • Oct 2002

Logic 7 and 5 Channels

Can you use Logic 7 if you only have a 5.1 channel set-up? Would it therefore do the same and sound similar to DPL II?

I was wondering if it would be a waste to have Logic 7 if you only have a 5.1 set-up.

Thanks
  • jaakan
    • Dec 2002

What unit with Logic 7 are you talking about?

Logic 7 like DPL 1 and 2, DTS:Neo 6 is not a real sound format but is a DSP function.

Can you use Logic 7 if you only have a 5.1 channel set-up?
    -Lexicon MC12, MC1, and DC2 have a button called "Logic 7/5"
    only if the unit you use has a Logic 5 mode or can DSP L7 into 5 channels

Would it therefore do the same and sound similar to DPL II?
    -they sound different ( Logic 5 mode vs DPL II )

I was wondering if it would be a waste to have Logic 7 if you only have a 5.1 set-up.

A waste yes and no, it just all how you look at it.

Don't buy a unit based on labels but by how it sounds.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

good post Jaakan. I will add to that:

Logic 7 is in fact a DSP mode, but it works in conjunction with discrete sound formats. The primary function of logic 7 with regard to DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 is to give you the feeling of having discrete 7.1 sound. Obviously, to best achieve that, you need 7 channels of amplifcation and 7 speakers. However, if your side speakers are turned off, you will achieve possibly some benefit from the sound format, it's just the left and right sides will be redirected back to the mains and rears. Consequently, it's sort of self defeating in that regard, asa it then becomes more true 5.1.

But let's not forget that logic 7 also applies to 2 channel stereo. So, for 2 channel, logic 7 is capable of filling the room with 5.1 speakers, again, just the information that would have been sent to the left and right side, are redirected to the rears and mains.

your right though, that Logic 7 is Lexicon's version of DPL II, Theta has circle surround. It's just we've had logic 7 a lot longer than DPL II's been around. Maybe if it came first, we wouldn't have logic 7. But lexicon was the front runner in surround sound, and as such was first with the improved matrix surround.

Logic 7 for discrete 5.1, is pseudo 7.1, but takes the real 5.1 channels of discrete information and extracts certain frequencies, from certain channels to "build" the discrete left and right side.

Two of the major reasons to get a Lexicon is the ease of operation, and the power of the sound mixing capabilities of it's DSP engines.

Even with 5.1 speakers only, it's still a heckuva pre-processor. Of course, it's 2 channel capability gets better as you go up the Lexicon line. I expect the new MC-8 won't disappoint in that area, being at least as good as the MC-1, likely better.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• hamiltong
        • Feb 2003

I've had the H/K AVR8000 since it first came out and it is capable of both Logic 7 and DPL II - still with only a 5.1 speaker setup. In 2 channel mode (which accounts for 70% of my listening habit - TV, 2CH Music) I much prefer L7 over DPLII - it had a much more enveloping effect. It was a very noticeable difference. But alas, I will be upgrading to a Rotel 1068 pre/pro which only offers DPL IIx - which in a 5.1 setup is identical to DPL II (that sux). -gh

Comment

• Lamia
          • Jun 2004

Not a waste, but...

Having been a Jim Fosgate fan since early quad, I can tell you that use of any of his circuitry (which I would not define as DSP in the classic sense since it is using dsp to extract enhanced surround info into the seven channels vs. creating something that wasn't there like adding echo or attempting to recreate a specific theater room sound). I still use the Citation 7 with 6 axis, which was Jim's design before he sold Dolby Prologic II. I have to believe that Harman, who bought out his Citation designs, built upon them for Logic 7. I've only seen one review compairing the three and the reviewer preferred Asix 6, then Logix7 and Dolby last.

What I'm disappointed to see is that my efforts to purchase a Harmon Kardon AV receiver get the option of using digital surrounds with digital audo hook up means that I don't have the option of using Logic 7 on these sources. Not a great design.

Bottom line, I think the surround decoding with Logic seven, even if with only 5.1 channels is superior sounding.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"